Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New defender

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:21 pm

I know many people on here have talked about the need for a midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and able to pass & dictate play. I agree with that analysis.

HOWEVER, our defending has been absolutely shocking this season. With Sean Morrison badly out of form, we should be looking for a defensive leader to come in on loan (I'm sure Huds can see this!) and to move Nelson to the bench. I think Whyte could come back from loan and do a decent job defensively also(maybe as cover?).

Thoughts?

Re: New defender

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Nelson is atrocious. He gives us nothing, and cannot do the basics. He HAS to be dropped.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm

stentona wrote:I know many people on here have talked about the need for a midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and able to pass & dictate play. I agree with that analysis.

HOWEVER, our defending has been absolutely shocking this season. With Sean Morrison badly out of form, we should be looking for a defensive leader to come in on loan (I'm sure Huds can see this!) and to move Nelson to the bench. I think Whyte could come back from loan and do a decent job defensively also(maybe as cover?).

Thoughts?

Nelson gave a 3 out 10 performance tonight, as bad as he has ever been unfortunately

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm

He seemed to be constantly in possession in the first half with no idea what to do with the ball.

It's as if the team were instructed to pass the ball as often as they can to the player who is least comfortable on the ball.

Nelson was at his best in the season we got to the play offs - since then his form has dipped alarmingly.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 pm

I agree. In fact I think we need a new full back and centre back in January. Not sure playing Giles as a wing back is working. I’d like to see him attacking more. With Morrison out of contract in the summer and not starting, if we can loan him out and use his wages to bring in a couple of loans, then we should.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 pm

They were all poor ,Bacuna was the worse.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 pm

New Day Rising wrote:They were all poor ,Bacuna was the worse.

Yep thanks mr warnock! 4 yr contract, no relegation clause, and still stealing every f@cking penny! His loss of possession led to the corner from which they scored! He must not play again, unless we have NOBODY else to make up the numbers, as that's ALL he does!!

And defensively, candidates we get hudders to get hos kit & boots on? Cant be any worse than some we have! Just to have a leader on the pitch would be something.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:25 pm

I absolutely agree about the need for a new defender.

As we saw last night, we cannot play out from the back when we have Flint and Nelson there. Hull quickly worked out that as long as they closed down McGuinness quickly we'd struggle to pass the ball out as Flint and Nelson just cannot do that. You could get away with one of the three being a more basic stopper but having two of them it's always likely to break down.

Personally, I'd give Pack a try as one of the CBs. He was virtually having to play there anyway to try and retain possession last night. He didn't have a great game but he never hid and was always making himself available. I think he'd have more time on the ball at CB.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:44 pm

we need a couple of defenders.

nelson is awful and just gives the ball away every pass. McGuiness also has been at fault for quite a few goals this season too but he is young and still learning. Flint and morrison i wouldn't renew there contracts

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm

Denham and connelly would do the job
With mcguiness and brown as proper full backs in a back 4
Pack as sweeper might work
Sang colwill and ralls in the midfield
With harris and davies/ evans up top
Fast pacy lots of movement in that team ?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:53 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Denham and connelly would do the job

And not a slow overpaid experienced failing defender in sight

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Denham and connelly would do the job

Troobloo I fully respect your opinion and you could well be right.

Personally I think that a team made up as you suggest would struggle to get above midtable in League 2

Which is where we'd probably end up within a couple of seasons.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 pm

We simply don't have the squad for 3 Centre backs and wing backs. Back 4 is needed

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 pm

boyo1927 wrote:We simply don't have the squad for 3 Centre backs and wing backs. Back 4 is needed

Now that we have McGuinness I would agree that a back 4 is doable.

I’d rather a back 3 but unless you have defenders who can pass the ball it breaks down too easily.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 am

for me, we have full backs, not wing backs, they're not comfortable going forward, they don't see or make the advanced runs, and our two further wide men, play as inside forwards rather than wingers, so effectively our width comes from our defence. and we're too slow getting the ball to them. for me i would drop to a back 4. Flint and McGuinness. NG on the right, and someone who can defend with some pace on the left (not a criticism of Bagan, but i don't feel he is there yet) in the middle i'd have Ralls (box to box role) and Vaulks (best of a bad situation) as a ball winning midfielder. his job to effectively shield the back 4. get some wingers, at this point i'd recall Whyte. and let Rubin play number 10. he runs at defenders, no fear, and plays with confidence.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:16 am

If in the first half he was constantly in posession but didnt know what to do with the ball - then he either hasnt understood the pre match tactics or he is unable to to do what is asked of him - or other players arent fulfilling their role.

My guess it's a bit of all 3. Something for Morison to watch back on video and see what's going on.