Has Giles lost his spark?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Barclay1 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:31 pm

We really haven't seen the best of him for some time. It does appear that we have brought him down to our level, or is it a case he is not happy having to play in such a poor set up?

Disappointing really. Was touted by the club as our marquee loan signing this year. Well, based on performances so far, he is not a patch on last years marquee loans of Wilson and Ojo.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Has Giles lost his spark?

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 pm

We were playing him as an out an out wide forward initially but he has started to be a wingback living off scraps in a non passing team.
llan bluebird

Postby Danny Says » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 pm

He looked disinterested first half last night and I don’t blame him with the garbage service to him - hospital passes. Second half he was more alive as he had some better balls largely due to Ralls’ introduction. It doesn’t help having Nelson feeding him as his distribution is poor.
Danny Says

Postby bluecityblue » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 pm

I think he might need to be more vocal and demand the pass into the area he wants to run into? He seems to wait for the ball then make the run. A couple of times last night it was on for the ball in behind the full back but it never came.
Other times though when Smithies is in possession he has his back to the ball and doesn’t look like he wants it.
bluecityblue

Postby nubbsy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:19 am

He's playing wing back now and has more defensive duties. I think he's still playing reasonably well considering he's got hardly any pace or talent around him. It's yet another season of having one single player in the side with any creative spark. Just a shame he can't carry us like Tomlin did for half a season.
nubbsy

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 am

Our midfielders cant move it in one pace.. two touches and theres no rhythmn, so he'll keep making runs until it becomes futile.
rumpo kid

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:31 am

I said on another post he needs to beat his man 10m from the half way line because even though we are passing now rather than whacking it as far up field as possible he is getting the ball so slowly,late and to his feet with back to goal he has to make wonder moves just to face the opposition. Then if he loses it he has very little cover so he need to play it safety first.

The Liverpool lads who are masters at this system inevitably run onto the the ball facing goal assessing their options. The Liverpool sitter gets the ball upfield quickly but more than often its a centre half playing the pass. Its a great system if you have the personnel for it, we don't, we have Flint, Nelson and Pack as his providers. I am surprised he turns up most weeks.

He looked much better when left footed Joe Ralls came on slotting the ball into space for him to attack.
llan bluebird

Postby mjw6150 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:08 am

Great assist under pressure on Saturday. Big fan of Giles and hope that perhaps we can somehow secure him permanently.
mjw6150

Postby GaerBlue » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:42 am

Genuine question, before Giles, who was the last player we had that could take a touch out of his feet and put in great delivery after great delivery as he does. Possibly Noone but he didn’t have the delivery Giles does.

I think he’s much better at hitting a moving ball, one of the reasons why ralls has been on corner duty.

He can create a chance out of nothing. Has that real ability to beat a man and whip it in. Most wingers these days have to try and beat the man at least twice before putting a decent ball In. He looks at home in the LWB position. His pace really helps us out at the back too.
GaerBlue

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm

I agree he is best at LWB and is one of the best we've had for a while doing what he does. I don't think he has done that often enough.

Started well, dip in the middle, and is now coming back to form a little as results improve.
Barclay1

Postby Blue Legend » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:36 pm

As much as I like Giles I do feel his crossing is very hit and miss. He does waste a lot of crosses by hitting the first defender. When he gets it right, he's quality. Just needs to add some consistency to his game as he develops.
I don't care about Vincent,
He don't care about me.
All I care about is CCFC......
Blue Legend

Postby Bluebird1977 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm

Nope he hasn't not for me atleast he takes players on and gets decent delivery's in most times. There's to much get down the byline then pass back shit these days rather than cross the ball like he does but we all see things differently :bluescarf:
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Bluebird1977

Postby Sven » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Barclay1 wrote:We really haven't seen the best of him for some time. It does appear that we have brought him down to our level, or is it a case he is not happy having to play in such a poor set up?

Disappointing really. Was touted by the club as our marquee loan signing this year. Well, based on performances so far, he is not a patch on last years marquee loans of Wilson and Ojo.

There we go... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225015
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Big Hill Blue » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm

Sign him up. Creates 2 x chances a game. That's 2 more than anyone else we have.
Big Hill Blue

Postby Barclay1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:36 am

Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:We really haven't seen the best of him for some time. It does appear that we have brought him down to our level, or is it a case he is not happy having to play in such a poor set up?

There we go... ;)

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/view ... 2&t=225015

Must say I was taken aback by that stat. It certainly didn't appear he was near the form he showed at the beginning of the season. Fair play.
Barclay1

Postby Sven » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

There we go... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225015

Must say I was taken aback by that stat. It certainly didn't appear he was near the form he showed at the beginning of the season. Fair play.

I'll be honest, I thought his form had dipped under Mick McCarthy and that's probably right; which makes the stats even more impressive, if he's achieved more (chances) in less (games) :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat