Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING STEVE MORISON: ' FRIDAY 26TH NOVEMBER 2021 '

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ STEVE MORISON UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Friday 26th November 2021

STEVE MORISON:

A target?

We need to get as high as possible in the table.

We have got to believe we won’t get relegated and everything will be OK.

We are frustrated, annoyed, gutted we’ve not got the result. We will go on the grass in the minute and work on what we’ve got to do.

We will go to Luton and give it our all. If we keep producing our numbers, there is no doubt in my mind we will get more positive results

Morison

“We are all in this together.”

"I don't really understand the booing, if I'm honest.”

"All I ask is, if we are going to get out of this, it is going to take absolutely everybody. Everyone who works at the football club and every fan who comes through the door and watches."

“ We Cardiff, need to 'make our stadium a fortress'.”

STEVE MORISON:

Team news for Luton?

We are a fully-fit squad, apart from Sam Bowen, who is obviously still out. And Isaac Vassell is still out.

It’s still his (Bowen’s) plantar fascia. He went out on to the grass to run yesterday and he failed.

The sore ones, I spoke about Sangy’s toe, it’s his foot and he needs his foot! He will be all right eventually, he has got loads of time on his side, he will be fine.

Morison

:ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: “ READ BELOW ALL STEVE MORISON’S UPDATES “ :bluebird: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

STEVE MORISON:

"The Hull game was a reality check. You get what you deserve: we should’ve equalised in the second-half that’s for sure and we gave a poor goal away."

“If we don’t concede and go in at half-time, then it would be quite a good place to be because we could come out in the second-half and put a little more intensity, stamp on the game - but at the moment we keep conceding that goal in the first-half and tonight, it’s ultimately killed us."

“Our energy levels, intensity, front foot, it was much better in the second-half," Morison added. "We created more chances, but it’s a night where we’ve lost a game of football, so from a positives point of view it’s a case of I’m asking them to do what I want them to do.

“It’s a process and the lads will get better at it, we just need to make sure that we keep improving and not get caught up in the position we are in the table - just keep believing, they are really good players and we will get out of this."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: STEVE MORISON:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:44 am

STEVE MORISON:

Fan negativity - is it easier away from home?

I wouldn’t say there is less pressure. We have got loads of pressure on us.

I said it after the game, the reason for the boos is because of the result and the situation, where we are as a football club.

We could have put some distance between ourselves and Hull - that’s the frustration.

I wholeheartedly believe we won’t get relegated. We are too good for that, we will be OK.

If you don’t believe that, what’s the point in doing it?

We can’t live our lives thinking the worst. We have got to be positive, not reactive.

We have got to be positive and going in the same direction.

We need everyone to be together.

The fans that go away, you don’t travel six hours to Preston to bring a negative mindset!

You are going there for a good day out and to have a good time. We hope to do that by having a good game of football.

We haven’t lost away yet, we’ve drawn and won.

We lost two at home and won one.

From a manager’s point of view, the Preston game, it was a great time, we enjoyed ourselves, but we did it doing the same things we did against Hull.

Morison
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:45 am

New Manager Steve Morison :bluebird:

Sat Oct 30 Stoke City 3 Cardiff City 3 :bluebird: :bluebird: Crowd 21,413. Away Support ( 927) :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 3 Cardiff City 0 Queens Park Rangers 1 Crowd 16,882 Away Support (667) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Nov 6 Cardiff City 2 Huddersfield Town 1 Crowd 17,355. Away Support ( 535) :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 20 Preston North End 1 Cardiff City 2 Crowd 10,739 Away Support ( 930 ) :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Nov 24 Cardiff City 0 Hull City 1 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Nov 27 Luton Town v Cardiff City

Sat Dec 4 Sheffield United H
Sat Dec 11 Birmingham City A

Sat Dec 18 Derby County H Now 12:30pm :bluebird:

Sun Dec 26 Coventry City H

Thursday 7:45pm Dec 29 A.F.C. Bournemouth A

Sunday 2pm Jan 2 West Bromwich Albion A

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:22 am

STEVE MORISON:

Team news for Luton?

We are a fully-fit squad, apart from Sam Bowen, who is obviously still out. And Isaac Vassell is still out.

It’s still his (Bowen’s) plantar fascia. He went out on to the grass to run yesterday and he failed.

The sore ones, I spoke about Sangy’s toe, it’s his foot and he needs his foot! He will be all right eventually, he has got loads of time on his side, he will be fine.

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:24 am

STEVE MORISON:

Vassell?

He is still inside. He is not outside at the minute. He is working as hard as he can to get out on the grass. If anyone thinks he’s not they are sadly mistaken.

He had a bad setback and we are all here for him. We are all together, he is here with us everyday. He will be back on the pitch soon.

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:24 am

STEVE MORISON:

Joel Bagan, where do you see his progress at the minute?

The reality is he was thrown in at the deep end a little bit.

Giles has been excellent at left wing back, that’s his position as far I’m concerned. When I played with him at Shrewsbury a couple of years ago he came in as a left wing back.

He was given a four or five-year deal by Wolves as a wing back. He did it at Coventry and Rotherham last year and that’s where I see him playing.

You look at Giles and you look at Joel. Joel has got to get to Giles’ level to get him out of the team.

He goes away and does well with Ireland under-21s. I just think we need to look after him, there is a really good player there.

It won’t do anyone any good if we keep chucking him in and he’s not right where he needs to be.

It happens with all these young players. They go in, have a taste, they learn what it feels like, what’s needed, then they come out, assess it, learn from it and go and be the best player in the under-23s for a few weeks, come back and have another go.

All the top teams do it with the young lads. There is a process to it. Now I’m in this position I will manage them in the best possible way.

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:27 am

STEVE MORISON:

Under-23s manager, any timescale on that?

I don’t know.

I think the applications have finished, I’m sure in the next week there will be interviews or something like that.

I’m sure it won’t take as long as it did when I got the job, which was like a four-month period. It was forever and a day.

But they’re all right. They are nine from nine, they are flying!

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:27 am

STEVE MORISON:

January transfers/contracts conversations been had yet?

No, they haven’t.

It is crazy having three games in a week, an international break and then immediately you roll into another three-game week.

For the next two weeks we are Saturday-Saturday. They don’t give you a chance to get settled.

Once this week is out of the way, I’m sure there will be some conversations definitely about January.

I can’t have conversations about what’s happening at the end of the season because my tenure ends at the end of the season, unless something happens between now and then.

January, I’m sure there will be discussions over how to get this group away from where we are, if we’re not already there, as quick as possible

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 am

STEVE MORISON:

Can the formation change or will you stick to a back five?

It’s interesting you see it as five at the back, we see it as three at the back. I see it as a left winger one side and a right back/winger on the right.

When we had the three centre mids in there, Marlon Pack at the bottom of it, Will and Leo pushing on as 8s with two strikers.

The other formation is 4-3-3, you might see it is a 5-2-3, we see it as three centre halves with two wide players offering width.

When the centre halves have the ball the wing backs are nowhere near them.

The team we played on Wednesday was exactly the same, except it was Harris instead of Isaak, against Huddersfield. We won that game and it was fine.

We started the game against Preston with a 3-4-3, moving Rubin into a No.10 position then it changed to a 3-5-2.

It’s been the same formation and shape, we just look at it in a different way.

I definitely don’t see it as a five at the back!

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am

STEVE MORISON:

"We wanted to change the style. We wanted to have a more progressive approach, rather than having it too hectic or frantic with loads of transitions, we want to be in far more control.

"When you actually look at the game, we had 536 passes, the most passes we’ve had in a game since 2017, we 81% pass accuracy, second most in the last four seasons, we had double the passes in opposition half [than Hull], twice as many shots on goal as the other team. We had twice as many shots.

"This isn’t a stat on the game, apart from losing the game 1-0, which is the most important one and one I totally understand, which we haven’t been better than the other team.

"For an understanding point of view, that’s what we want to do. We want to dominate games of football and have more possession than the other team.

"We will have more shots on goal, we will limit them to less shots because we have the football.

"We won’t force the ball into a dead end. We will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and all of a sudden, Ryan Giles is in a 1v1 situation. It will allow us to get more crosses in the box, which will allow us more final-third entries.

"The information we’ve got off the back of the game and five games we’ve had, there isn’t one thing, one stat we haven’t improved on.

"Goals scored, 0.86 in the first 14 games to 1.4 in the last five. Goals conceded is down from 1.9 to 1.4. Passing accuracy has gone from 64% to 76%, possession from 40% to 52%, shots conceded in games has gone from five to three, successful 1v1s in the final third has gone from 36 to 43. There is not one stat that isn’t up.

"That’s in five games. Over the four weeks I've been in charge, we have had five training sessions with everyone available, with international windows and Saturday-Wednesday-Saturdays.

"Off the back of Luton on Saturday it’s the first time since I've been in charge where we have a full week's training where we can work.

"People are talking about the style of play, the progression, it is there for all to see. We are going to dominate games of football, with the football. We are going to continue to create more chances than the other team and we will give up less chances than we did previously. We are not just going to give the ball away unnecessarily just because we've had a few too many passes.

"Another stat. Total passes in a game, we are averaging over 430 passes a game.

"What frustrates me - I am so passionate about it, maybe you can tell from my rant - people around the country are lauded for that. They are put on a pedestal for that.

"We have been able to do that without half the time that other people have.

"That is something that Me, Mark [Hudson], Tom [Ramasut], Carl [Serrant], Dibs [Andy Dibble], everyone believes in.

"If I flip that game on its head and we win 1-0, everyone tells us it’s a really controlled, dominant performance.

"Everyone will shoot me down and say we lost the game. Yea we did, I get that, but it’s the style, the progression, it’s the way we want to play.

"It’s the longevity of the message, the longevity of the play, it's the way we are going to come together as a group.

"There was a piece yesterday on bringing players through - do you think that's going to happen in this style or in a more direct style?

"That's what I'm going to ask people."

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 am

STEVE MORISON:

A target?

We need to get as high as possible in the table.

We have got to believe we won’t get relegated and everything will be OK.

We are frustrated, annoyed, gutted we’ve not got the result. We will go on the grass in the minute and work on what we’ve got to do.

We will go to Luton and give it our all. If we keep producing our numbers, there is no doubt in my mind we will get more positive results

Morison

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 am

Steve Morison looks at the positives

Bluebirds boss Morison picked out the positives from their 1-0 defeat to Hull City on Wednesday.

It was a frustrating night for the home supporters, who made their feelings known and half-time and full time.

Morison admitted he couldn't understand the fans' response but was keen to stress the improvement in Cardiff's "process" going forward.

STEVE MORISON:

"Our energy levels, intensity, front foot, it was much better in the second half," he said.

"We created more chances, but it’s a night where we’ve lost a game of football, so from a positives point of view it’s a case of I’m asking them to do what I want them to do.”

“It’s a process and the lads will get better at it, we just need to make sure that we keep improving and not get caught up in the position we are in the table - just keep believing, they are really good players and we will get out of this.”

“Many of our younger players have been pushed straight in to the first team due to our small squad and many will find it a hell of a difference to what they are us to.”

“Some will make it, some won’t, but let’s all get behind them, we are all in this together.”

“It might be frustrating for people watching at times, especially when we’re behind because they want us to get it forward, but they have to understand that often when there’s that moment of frustration we come out the other side.”

“Please back us and be patient, our away support is behind us and we want it to be the same at the Cardiff City stadium.”

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:47 am

STEVE MORISON:

"The Hull game was a reality check. You get what you deserve: we should’ve equalised in the second-half that’s for sure and we gave a poor goal away."

“If we don’t concede and go in at half-time, then it would be quite a good place to be because we could come out in the second-half and put a little more intensity, stamp on the game - but at the moment we keep conceding that goal in the first-half and tonight, it’s ultimately killed us."

“Our energy levels, intensity, front foot, it was much better in the second-half," Morison added. "We created more chances, but it’s a night where we’ve lost a game of football, so from a positives point of view it’s a case of I’m asking them to do what I want them to do.

“It’s a process and the lads will get better at it, we just need to make sure that we keep improving and not get caught up in the position we are in the table - just keep believing, they are really good players and we will get out of this.

“It might be frustrating for people watching at times, especially when we’re behind because they want us to get it forward, but they have to understand that often when there’s that moment of frustration we come out the other side.”

Re: BREAKING STEVE MORISON:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:26 am

STEVE MORISON:

Reflections from Wednesday?

I’m glad you asked.

Take the goal out of it and what we asked them to do and the way we asked them to work, the change in style and approach, was there for everyone to see.

I think I said after the game, when asked about the boos, it’s not until you reflect on it, when I replied to say I didn’t really get it, now I’ve looked back on the game I’d like to put a bit of context behind that.

We wanted to change the style. We wanted to have a more progressive approach, rather than having it too hectic or frantic with loads of transitions, we want to be in far more control.

When you actually look at the game, we had 536 passes, the most passes we’ve had in a game since 2017, we 81% pass accuracy, second most in the last four seasons, twice as many shots as the other team.

This isn’t a stat on the game, other than losing the game which is the most important one and one I totally understand, which we haven’t been better than the other team.

That’s what we want to do. We want to dominate games of football and have more possession than the other team.

We will have more shots on goal, we will limit them because we have the ball.

We won’t force the ball in deadends. We will come back and try to play out. We will go down one side, come back the other side and allow Ryan Giles down the left. There will be more final-third entries.

The information we’ve got off the five games we’ve had, there isn’t one stat we haven’t improved on.

Goals scored, 0.86 in the first 14 games, we have gone to 1.4 in the last five. Passing, possession, shots conceded in games, successful 1v1s in the final third. There is not one stat that isn’t up.

That’s in five games. We have had five training sessions with everyone available, with international windows and Saturday-Wednesday-Saturdays.

After Luton it’s the first time we can actually work.

People are talking about the style of play, the progression, it is there for all to say. We are going to dominate games of football, with the football. We are going to create more chances than the other team and we will give up less chances to the other team.

We are averaging over 430 passes a game.

I am so passionate about it. People around the country are lauded for that. They are put on a pedestal for that.

We have been able to do that without half the time.

Me, Mark, Tom, Carl, Dibs, everyone believes in it.

If I flip that game on its head and we win 1-0, everyone tells me it’s a dominant performance.

We lost the game, I totally get that, but it’s the style, the progression, it’s the way we want to play.

It’s the longevity of the message, the play, the way we are going to come together as a group.

Morison

Re: BREAKING STEVE MORISON:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:30 am

Does this smash down what people have been saying? You have the players to play like this?

STEVE MORISON:

We have got some really good football players and they are doing something they haven’t been asked to do for a very long time.

This information proves we can do it. And do you know what? We can be better.

We can start turning shots into goals. Apart from Stoke, we have not conceded more than one goal in a game.

Set plays are still a huge factor.

It might be that we don’t get a cross, but we might get a long throw and we might score. Does anyone care? No.

We want to dictate and control. I guarantee you we will be in those areas in a much better way.

Ultimately, the reason I am sitting here and saying these things is because it’s new and some people might not understand it.

If these young lads are to succeed and do well, they are going to have to do it in a positive style of play.

There isn’t an academy out there that doesn’t play like that. We have got to move on, we’ve got to evolve and adapt.

I hope and pray it’s me for a hell of a long time. But it’s the way football is going, we have got to jump on the bus or we will be left behind.

Morison

Re: BREAKING STEVE MORISON: ' FRIDAY 26TH NOVEMBER 2021 '

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:43 am

Joel Bagan More beneficial to stay with the under-23s than go out in January on loan?

STEVE MORISON:

January is a different conversation.

I can’t let Joel Bagan go out on loan if I’ve got only Ryan Giles. It’s beneficial he is around and learning. When his opportunity comes he will be ready.

He will have the odd games in the under-23s if he needs it. But it’s been frantic in terms of training and international breaks.

It’s a big picture. It’s not just black and white anymore, there has got to be that bit in between. The gym stuff, analysing. They will fly then.

Morison