Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

STEVE MORISON TELLS THE MEDIA / THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:20 pm

STEVE MORISON:

"We wanted to change the style. We wanted to have a more progressive approach, rather than having it too hectic or frantic with loads of transitions, we want to be in far more control.”

"When you actually look at the game, we had 536 passes, the most passes we’ve had in a game since 2017, we 81% pass accuracy, second most in the last four seasons, we had double the passes in opposition half [than Hull], twice as many shots on goal as the other team. We had twice as many shots.

"This isn’t a stat on the game, apart from losing the game 1-0, which is the most important one and one I totally understand, which we haven’t been better than the other team.

"For an understanding point of view, that’s what we want to do. We want to dominate games of football and have more possession than the other team.

"We will have more shots on goal, we will limit them to less shots because we have the football.

"We won’t force the ball into a dead end. We will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and all of a sudden, Ryan Giles is in a 1v1 situation. It will allow us to get more crosses in the box, which will allow us more final-third entries.

"The information we’ve got off the back of the game and five games we’ve had, there isn’t one thing, one stat we haven’t improved on.

"Goals scored, 0.86 in the first 14 games to 1.4 in the last five. Goals conceded is down from 1.9 to 1.4. Passing accuracy has gone from 64% to 76%, possession from 40% to 52%, shots conceded in games has gone from five to three, successful 1v1s in the final third has gone from 36 to 43. There is not one stat that isn’t up.

"That’s in five games. Over the four weeks I've been in charge, we have had five training sessions with everyone available, with international windows and Saturday-Wednesday-Saturdays.

"Off the back of Luton on Saturday it’s the first time since I've been in charge where we have a full week's training where we can work.

"People are talking about the style of play, the progression, it is there for all to see. We are going to dominate games of football, with the football. We are going to continue to create more chances than the other team and we will give up less chances than we did previously. We are not just going to give the ball away unnecessarily just because we've had a few too many passes.

"Another stat. Total passes in a game, we are averaging over 430 passes a game.

"What frustrates me - I am so passionate about it, maybe you can tell from my rant - people around the country are lauded for that. They are put on a pedestal for that.

"We have been able to do that without half the time that other people have.

"That is something that Me, Mark [Hudson], Tom [Ramasut], Carl [Serrant], Dibs [Andy Dibble], everyone believes in.

"If I flip that game on its head and we win 1-0, everyone tells us it’s a really controlled, dominant performance.

"Everyone will shoot me down and say we lost the game. Yea we did, I get that, but it’s the style, the progression, it’s the way we want to play.

"It’s the longevity of the message, the longevity of the play, it's the way we are going to come together as a group.

"There was a piece yesterday on bringing players through - do you think that's going to happen in this style or in a more direct style?

"That's what I'm going to ask people."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: STEVE MORISON TELLS THE MEDIA / THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:29 pm

Very honest interview tbf! We JAVE to be patient, we ALL said change wouldnt happen overnight, but some cant resist temptation to pick at what he is trying to achieve? Let's FULLY get behind steve and the boys, and help them as much as we can, ie no booing during a game, as this is very counterproductive!! We knew we were in a scrap BEFORE his appointment, can we show him the true cardiff city fans passion? I hope we can, otherwise I feel for him, and the team( bar a couple!)

Come on bluebirds, the club needs us, let's show them we have their backs, especially when the going os tough.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:34 pm

What you have to do Steve is pick your team to win the game in the first and second half and not keep coming from behind with a good second half performance.
Collwill must start the games and not come on after an hour and always trying to get us out of the shit.
Any one of Pack, Bacuna or Vaulks could make way for him as they are all dreadful.
Hurry back Sam Bowen.
With regard to the formation 5 at the back does not work. Play 433.
Smithies
NG
Flint
McGuiness
Bagan
Collwill
Ralls
Bowen
Moore
Collins
Giles
:ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Good on him. We won't go down so we need to be patient and let SM get it right which will take time. Any lingering dreams of play-offs should be banished into next season and beyond. We just need to take our time to change and evolve thoroughly and that includes blooding more youth, bringing in his own players and shipping out surplus squad members which will take next two windows.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:43 pm

VT needs to embrace this new style with some more quality players in Jan, players who can pass from the back, allied with some pace out wide

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:45 pm

fred keenor wrote:VT needs to embrace this new style with some more quality players in Jan, players who can pass from the back, allied with some pace out wide

100% agree :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Very good and honest interview by Steve Morison :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:06 pm

I don't boo at our players only when its obviously at the ref but this disappoints me.

We are going to be like every other team, no unique selling point. So we are going to use the coach by metric system that favours the richer clubs. This is where Warnock rocked the establishment. Its an uneven fight. So we are going to measure our passing against all the other teams with our players :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have Peter Whittingham as the playmaker, please quotes me all the passing accuracy stats you want, we have Marlon Pack. Playing the "right way" is all fine and dandy if you go and get those players we haven't there needs to be a hybrid system to keep us in the league.

On the plus side, Luton are a physical team, i quite fancy ourselves to be able to impose our new "philosophy" on them whilst more than handling their physicality

I am still a bit old school. If Aiden Flint has 50 touches a game he potentially gives it away 15 times. If Virgil Van Dyke has 50 touches 15 of those are very effective. Football is ultimately moneyball. Flint and Morrisons stats for defending are quite good, mobility, speed and passing they are poor because if they were better they would be at a higher level.

Every time the ball is near Nelson I have kittens. Stats are fine, but we lost.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Blueberry Jam wrote:What you have to do Steve is pick your team to win the game in the first and second half and not keep coming from behind with a good second half performance.
Collwill must start the games and not come on after an hour and always trying to get us out of the shit.
Any one of Pack, Bacuna or Vaulks could make way for him as they are all dreadful.
Hurry back Sam Bowen.
With regard to the formation 5 at the back does not work. Play 433.
Smithies
NG
Flint
McGuiness
Bagan
Collwill
Ralls
Bowen
Moore
Collins
Giles
:ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Exactly this.

Notice I'm not the only one saying it.

WE DO NOT NEED 3 CENTRE BACKS

Let's look at some simple stats...
When have most of these goals and chances come from? Second half when playing 4 at the back.

When have most of the goals conceded come from? First half. When playing 5 at the back.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pm

I agree with everything SM says but I don't want to become another Swansea with 70% possession but only 3 shots at goal. We all know playing this sort of football requires a creative player in the middle of the park.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Keep up the good work. Hull didn’t score a well worked goal, didn’t take us apart, they had two free headers in our box which I’m sure we’ll learn from. I’d rather watch us try and play but sometimes lose than just hoof it upfield and hope for the second ball. Don’t get me wrong, we weren’t brilliant, but like he says, they haven’t had a full weeks training together yet.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:51 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I don't boo at our players only when its obviously at the ref but this disappoints me.

We are going to be like every other team, no unique selling point. So we are going to use the coach by metric system that favours the richer clubs. This is where Warnock rocked the establishment. Its an uneven fight. So we are going to measure our passing against all the other teams with our players :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have Peter Whittingham as the playmaker, please quotes me all the passing accuracy stats you want, we have Marlon Pack. Playing the "right way" is all fine and dandy if you go and get those players we haven't there needs to be a hybrid system to keep us in the league.

On the plus side, Luton are a physical team, i quite fancy ourselves to be able to impose our new "philosophy" on them whilst more than handling their physicality

I am still a bit old school. If Aiden Flint has 50 touches a game he potentially gives it away 15 times. If Virgil Van Dyke has 50 touches 15 of those are very effective. Football is ultimately moneyball. Flint and Morrisons stats for defending are quite good, mobility, speed and passing they are poor because if they were better they would be at a higher level.

Every time the ball is near Nelson I have kittens. Stats are fine, but we lost.

I say the same every game, when we start passing it about defensively I can barely watch! We’ll need ball playing defenders. Morrison Flint Brown are good enough as defenders but not the best at passing it around. I don’t think we’ll be seeing them playing together again.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 pm

The stats quoted to the press are up 100% and that's a fact!

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:24 pm

Morison knows this.. players with pace and (footballing) brains we are short of.. like most clubs.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:55 am

Very frustrated on Wed listening to idiots moaning and booing during the game when the team are keeping the ball. Also half time and full time loud boos were un called for too. I believe in Steve

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:01 am

The knee jerk reaction on here (from the moderators too) and the booing at the stadium was a joke.

The performance, albiet not great, was nowhere as bad as some made out. All I heard was patience, patience and the first game we lose the daggers come out.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:05 am

That being said he seems to be defending himself pretty strongly, which in my opinion is not very necessary. Maybe feeling the early pressure?

Keep your head on Steve it's just a few fickle arseholes boo'ing.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17 am

bluecityblue wrote:Keep up the good work. Hull didn’t score a well worked goal, didn’t take us apart, they had two free headers in our box which I’m sure we’ll learn from. I’d rather watch us try and play but sometimes lose than just hoof it upfield and hope for the second ball. Don’t get me wrong, we weren’t brilliant, but like he says, they haven’t had a full weeks training together yet.

Totally agree with Morrison’s summing up and all so agree with you’re post the foot ball is a a lot better I’m sure we will get a couple of wins and start to climb the table

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 am

nubbsy wrote:The knee jerk reaction on here (from the moderators too) and the booing at the stadium was a joke.

The performance, albiet not great, was nowhere as bad as some made out. All I heard was patience, patience and the first game we lose the daggers come out.

Jack,

I condemned the boing and actually said in my write up , I thought we played well, do you not read properly???

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:19 am

Good interview from morison and very honest. People have been moaning about our style of football for ages and some want to revert back to hoofball (which we were terrible at) at the first sign of things not going well. Morison is 100% right, if we want to become a progressive team, we need to stick to it. The people who can't see that we've improved either have no footballing knowledge or they only look at the score as an indicator of how we played.

This was never going to be a quick fix. Everyone can see the limitations of the squad. But Steve has done well so far with what he's got.

Regarding the booing, its not going to help given our current position. But he's got to understand our frustration. A more positive lineup would have completely changed the atmosphere. Whilst I feel sorry for bacuna, he offers nothing when played out of position. He's a liability at RB and a passenger as a forward. And we've had to endure a few seasons of him being a weaklink.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:27 am

City slicker27 wrote:Good interview from morison and very honest. People have been moaning about our style of football for ages and some want to revert back to hoofball (which we were terrible at) at the first sign of things not going well. Morison is 100% right, if we want to become a progressive team, we need to stick to it. The people who can't see that we've improved either have no footballing knowledge or they only look at the score as an indicator of how we played.

This was never going to be a quick fix. Everyone can see the limitations of the squad. But Steve has done well so far with what he's got.

Regarding the booing, its not going to help given our current position. But he's got to understand our frustration. A more positive lineup would have completely changed the atmosphere. Whilst I feel sorry for bacuna, he offers nothing when played out of position. He's a liability at RB and a passenger as a forward. And we've had to endure a few seasons of him being a weaklink.

Excellent post, you’ve summoned it up well :thumbright: :bluebird:

This is not a quick fix, we are in an awful position thanks to bad management and they need to now let Morison have time abd backing :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:32 pm

How can anyone decipher what the boo's were for.

I was surprised when i heard them, I sit in 115 with the old farts so barely get a murmur of approval or disapproval.

But, If I want to see the ball pass between the 3 centre halfs I can go 40 miles up the road and see it done properly. Passing for passing sake is the quickest way to L1. If we are passing to get it to one of our playmaking midfielders in space so he can dictate play then go for it, I am all on board, even when you'll inevitably give a goal away from the gamble. But Marlon is currently contending for the championship hide and seek championship with Leo.

Were the boo's for the ref, The team selection, that fact we haven't scored in the first half again, Leo, Vaulksy or because it was cold, who knows. But this is the same Canton stand who boo'd Peter Whittingham when he never had a great game in the premier league, so are not a barometer on the fans feelings, just a noisy, sometime drunk and often juvenile element. Funny how no one on here admitted to booing, was it really worth the 7 min rant ?

PS- Apart from returning to a back 4, I have no idea how you get this lot to play like Liverpool, but that's not the objective, staying in the league is.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Yes it was worth it in my opinion and great to have a manager not afraid to stick up for his team and principles. The booing was quite considerable...we are clearly a team in transition. Patience and support the team or don't bother going

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:The knee jerk reaction on here (from the moderators too) and the booing at the stadium was a joke.

Jack,

I condemned the boing and actually said in my write up , I thought we played well, do you not read properly???

Wasn't talking about you specifically Annis or the booing in that instance. Just the knee jerk reaction to a single loss.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:14 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Jack,

Wasn't talking about you specifically Annis or the booing in that instance. Just the knee jerk reaction to a single loss.

Jack,

You said moderaters?