North Cyprus

A forum for all things Cardiff City

North Cyprus

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:13 am

I’m fully aware of the political landscape so not talking about that but I’ve had a villa here for past 15 years…..currently the Turkish Lira is hovering between 16-17tl to the pound.

So a pint of EFES is currently 15tl ( approx 0.80p) a 3 course meal is just over a fiver.

Last night me and Mrs went out and had a 2 course Indian meal plus 4 poppudoms. Garlic Nan, 5 gin n tonics and 5 pints of EFES and our bill was £20.40. Unbelievable prices in this day and age.
It’s always been a really cheap place but never this cheap. :occasion5:
Aberbeeg Blues

North Cyprus

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: North Cyprus

Postby maccydee » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 am

Visited north Cyprus when I was at Aki. Absolutely stunning place. Efes is such an amazing beer too.

You are very lucky.

Can you fly direct to North Cyprus or is it via the South?
maccydee

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am

There is a bank on the border but on the Turkish side. On the day of the Separation the Turkish authorities closed its doors and the place has been locked ever since. Apparently £ms of currency is still in the vaults, most have a thick layer of dust on them. I'm not sure what security the Turks have put on the place but to think its all still in place is astonishing.
Bakedalasker

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:03 pm

I usually fly from Bristol with EasyJet to Larnaca then get a North Cyprus taxi up to the North. For a fixed price of £50. If I took a South Cypriot taxi it would be £120.

You can fly to the North via Istanbul.

It’s always been a really cheap place to holiday but with the current hike in the Turkish Lira it’s absolutely dirt cheap.Plus it’s also a beautiful side of the island.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby bluesince62 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I usually fly from Bristol with EasyJet to Larnaca then get a North Cyprus taxi up to the North. For a fixed price of £50. If I took a South Cypriot taxi it would be £120.

It’s always been a really cheap place to holiday but with the current hike in the Turkish Lira it’s absolutely dirt cheap.Plus it’s also a beautiful side of the island.

I have holidayed in Turkey for over 30 yrs now, and the lira has never been as high! I have just bought a grand worth of lira in readiness for next year, and will do another grand after Christmas, should it stay ridiculously high! I have friends there who are Turkish, and it's really tough on them,the exchange rate is great for us, but devastating for them!
bluesince62

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:19 am

Yes it’s tough on the locals I agree, but there’s never been a better time to holiday here in North Cyprus. In the 15 years we’ve been coming here it’s definitely the cheapest by far.
The local pub last night had a happy hour on draught beers from 8-10pm half price so it worked out to 0.40p a pint of EFES absolutely insanely cheap!!! :occasion5:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm

I was friendly with a QPR fanatic in the late 70's, a Turkish guy who was in the Turkish Paras and dropped on Cyprus during the conflict .He was shot in the leg and kept the bullet on a chain around his neck. I went to Loftus Road several times with him rough as hell. As for the prices can you emigrate there !!
Jimmy Scoular

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:32 pm

We get 90 days at a time and alternate between Here and Wales. I was in the pub last night with a guy from Cross Hands and 2 guys from Newport.
There are two other families on our estate from Porthcawl.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:04 pm

maccydee wrote:Visited north Cyprus when I was at Aki. Absolutely stunning place. Efes is such an amazing beer too.

You are very lucky.

I was on the other side of the island to you from 2010-2014. When were you there?

Unfortunately, just as some friends are coming home, others are being posted out, so I get a constant reminder on bragbook of the amazing island. I miss it loads and it was the best time of my life, although I’m hoping one day I’ll stop having to cry myself to sleep at night. :lol:
103 Barmy Army

Postby maccydee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:51 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
maccydee wrote:Visited north Cyprus when I was at Aki. Absolutely stunning place. Efes is such an amazing beer too.

You are very lucky.

I was on the other side of the island to you from 2010-2014. When were you there?

Unfortunately, just as some friends are coming home, others are being posted out, so I get a constant reminder on bragbook of the amazing island. I miss it loads and it was the best time of my life, although I’m hoping one day I’ll stop having to cry myself to sleep at night. :lol:

Feb 2011 for a year.

Family got terminal cancer so we came back. My wife loved it I was a bit bored at work tbh.
maccydee

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 am

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I usually fly from Bristol with EasyJet to Larnaca then get a North Cyprus taxi up to the North. For a fixed price of £50. If I took a South Cypriot taxi it would be £120.

How much is a decent villa with a pool now?

What resorts are good for holidays?

I've been to the South, but only seen a bit of the North on those boat trips where they can take you close around the border.
Bluebina

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:54 pm

I paid £85k for my 4 bed villa with its own pool. That was 15 years ago. Today they average about £140k. You can pick up apartments from about £40k upwards in some areas.

The main resort seaside area is Kyrenia ( Girne) which is/basically consist of a large town centre with Hotels shops bars restaurants and a beautiful harbour area. It’s a very busy built up area.
Either side of the town over the years has also become very built up. My villa is in a place called Catalkoy which is about 4 miles out of Kyrenia but all the way has bars,shops,restaurants along the road. The other side of Kyrenia lies the holiday area called Lapta which has the same bars,shops restaurants etc.

Over the years a lot of 5 and 6 star big hotels have been built like The Lords Palace which are resorts in themselves.

We go there for Christmas Day and have a 7 course meal,unlimited local alcoholic drinks and two lives bands for £30!!

It really is by far the cheapest holiday destination closest to the UK.
Plus they drive on our side of the road and all signs in English :ayatollah:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 pm

There are approx 30 thousand ex pats who live in North Cyprus.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I paid £85k for my 4 bed villa with its own pool. That was 15 years ago. Today they average about £140k. You can pick up apartments from about £40k upwards in some areas.

The main resort seaside area is Kyrenia ( Girne) which is/basically consist of a large town centre with Hotels shops bars restaurants and a beautiful harbour area. It’s a very busy built up area.
Either side of the town over the years has also become very built up. My villa is in a place called Catalkoy which is about 4 miles out of Kyrenia but all the way has bars,shops,restaurants along the road. The other side of Kyrenia lies the holiday area called Lapta which has the same bars,shops restaurants etc.

Over the years a lot of 5 and 6 star big hotels have been built like The Lords Palace which are resorts in themselves.

We go there for Christmas Day and have a 7 course meal,unlimited local alcoholic drinks and two lives bands for £30!!

It really is by far the cheapest holiday destination closest to the UK.
Plus they drive on our side of the road and all signs in English :ayatollah:

Sounds amazing, I might have a holiday to have a look, when does the season start?
Bluebina

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:11 pm

The main season is usually late April to end of October. But due to the large ex pat community there’s always enough going on.

I paid £14.99 to fly out 3 weeks ago and £9.99 to fly back on 5th January. It was 22 degrees yesterday so t shirt weather in day and you need a sweater in evening. Bit too cold for swimming though :D on saying that I did see a few swimming in the sea yesterday morning
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Bluebina » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:The main season is usually late April to end of October. But due to the large ex pat community there’s always enough going on.

I paid £14.99 to fly out 3 weeks ago and £9.99 to fly back on 5th January. It was 22 degrees yesterday so t shirt weather in day and you need a sweater in evening. Bit too cold for swimming though :D on saying that I did see a few swimming in the sea yesterday morning

Nice one, I'll look to pop over early April, probably a great time to get away from here, as I think we'll be mid table anyway !!!
Bluebina

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:12 am

I’m sure you will enjoy :occasion5:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby ElyBoy1984 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 pm

Who are you flying with to get flights that low?
ElyBoy1984

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 pm

EasyJet from Bristol. Our son is flying out to join us at Christmas and his flight was only £24.99 each way.

The earlier you book the cheaper the fares with EasyJet we find.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Bluebina » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:I’m sure you will enjoy :occasion5:

Nice one I'm sure I will, especially if I can get a pint for a £1 :thumbup:
Bluebina

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am

Me and the Mrs have been out every night for the past fortnight plus had about half a dozen lunches. We usually have about 5 drinks each every night plus 2 courses of food….I’ve been to supermarket few times and filled up the car with petrol and I’ve not spent £350. :ayatollah:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby RV Casual » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Do you work for the North Cypriot tourist board or something?

Only joking, would never go there personally though due loyalty towards some Greek Cypriot mates but that's another story for another day
RV Casual

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:50 am

RV Casual wrote:Do you work for the North Cypriot tourist board or something?

Only joking, would never go there personally though due loyalty towards some Greek Cypriot mates but that's another story for another day

Exactly!! Each to their own. I’ve holidayed many times in The South myself and enjoyed it.

My point and this thread is all about the incredible value for money currently being afforded in North Cyprus. There is certainly not a place within 4 hours flying time of the UK where you can get more for your pound. In fact not even close!!

As I speak the local rate in supermarkets is 17.2tl to the Pound!! :occasion5:
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Do you have a spare room for rent ? :o :occasion5:
Jimmy Scoular

Postby Bluebina » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:21 pm

How low will it go?

Inflation high, Erdogan saying he will lower interest rates further???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59487912
Bluebina

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:42 am

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Do you have a spare room for rent ? :o :occasion5:

I never rent my villa out cos the costs are just so low. £10 a month for council tax. My biggest expense is the £500 yearly maintenance cost on my pool.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:44 am

Bluebina wrote:How low will it go?

Inflation high, Erdogan saying he will lower interest rates further???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59487912

Really good question no doubt it could still go even lower. Especially the way Erdogan plays things.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:05 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:
Jimmy Scoular wrote:Do you have a spare room for rent ? :o :occasion5:

I never rent my villa out cos the costs are just so low. £10 a month for council tax. My biggest expense is the £500 yearly maintenance cost on my pool.

What are the rules to stay there for ex-pats?
Bakedalasker

Postby Aberbeeg Blues » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:56 am

If you have property then your allowed 90 days at a time. This also allows you to apply for residency which means you can stay indefinitely.
Aberbeeg Blues

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 am

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:If you have property then your allowed 90 days at a time. This also allows you to apply for residency which means you can stay indefinitely.

What are the visiting rights if you are not a property owner?
Bakedalasker

Next

Return to General Chat