Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY IN CHASE FOR 'IMPRESSIVE' YOUNGSTER

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Sheffield United, Cardiff City and Southampton are among clubs chasing former Bristol Rovers academy player Miguel Freckleton.

The 18-year-old defender has impressed in non-league for Mangotsfield United, making eight appearances in the Southern League Division One South & West.

A Bristol lad, he was on Rovers' books as a midfielder as a youngster before leaving the club in his early teens.

Freckleton, now a centre-half, later joined South Gloucestershire and Stroud College (SGS) as part of the football programme led by Dave Hockaday, the former Leeds United and Forest Green Rovers manager.

And Bristol Live understands the players' development at SGS and Cossham Street has caught the eye of multiple clubs in the Football League pyramid, with the Blades, Bluebirds, Saints and Hull City among the contenders.

Freckleton has played trial games for those clubs, with Sheffield United understood to be in pole position to sign the player, although Cardiff also fancy their chances.

The left-footed centre-back impressed in a behind-closed-doors game with the Blades, holding his own against senior pros.

Re: CITY IN CHASE FOR 'IMPRESSIVE' YOUNGSTER

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:05 pm

IF this is true - which is a big IF because we all know the position we are in financially - maybe it means Morrison or Flint may be going?

I'm sure 1 of those 2 are out of contract in the summer and they're both on a lot of money

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:IF this is true - which is a big IF because we all know the position we are in financially - maybe it means Morrison or Flint may be going?

I'm sure 1 of those 2 are out of contract in the summer and they're both on a lot of money

He’s an 18 year old playing college football. I don’t think this signing has any bearing on Morrison or Flint at all

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Type of player we should be scouring the leagues for to sign and build an effective development team . Id rather 2 or 3 of these type if younger players than one over paid end of career player like Bacuna.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:51 pm

New Day Rising wrote:Type of player we should be scouring the leagues for to sign and build an effective development team . Id rather 2 or 3 of these type if younger players than one over paid end of career player like Bacuna.

We could employ 20 youngsters for Bacuna’s salary!

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:IF this is true - which is a big IF because we all know the position we are in financially - maybe it means Morrison or Flint may be going?

He's an 18-year-old playing non-league, I don't think the finances here would be a big problem and he wouldn't be likely to make a direct impact on the first team. He'd go straight into the U23's no doubt.

Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm

New Day Rising wrote:Type of player we should be scouring the leagues for to sign and build an effective development team . Id rather 2 or 3 of these type if younger players than one over paid end of career player like Bacuna.

Buy young, improve, sell on.