Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison critical of two Cardiff players:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:12 am

Cardiff City boss Steve Morison criticises Leandro Bacuna and Isaak Davies after defeat at Bournemouth after previously being a critic of young striker Zimba.

Isaac Davies is 20 years old and come through the Cardiff Academy.

“Morison has recently stated its a big step up for these players from the Cardiff U23’s and these games this season need players with experience.”

Friday 31st December 2021

Leandro Bacuna's red card was his first as a Cardiff City player
Cardiff boss Steve Morison had strong criticism for midfielders Leandro Bacuna and Isaak Davies after his side were beaten 3-0 at Bournemouth.

Bacuna was sent off in first half injury time for a horrendous lunge from behind on Philip Billing.

Davies, who came on at half time, was taken off by Morison 30 minutes later.

STEVE MORISON:

Morison said Bacuna deserved fan criticism as he "let his team-mates down," and described Davies' display as "more a hindrance than a help".

Cardiff are now just three points outside the Championship relegation zone after the defeat and Morison did not sugar coat his words when asked about Bacuna's red card.

"I haven't watched it back; live I thought it was going to be a sending off," he said.

"He held his hands up as soon as we got in the dressing room. We need everyone to get results and if you don't have everyone, it becomes very difficult."

Morison added that he understood the frustration of Cardiff fans who felt the reckless challenge cost the Bluebirds the chance of earning a point.

"I would agree with them... the game went away from us from that moment, it was a bad tackle," he said.

Bournemouth boss Scott Parker said the challenge could have ended Billing's career.

"I'm thankful Phil is not seriously injured in that," said Parker.

"I thought the referee was superb in how quickly he defused the situation really in terms of he was right on the scene, showed the red card and just defused it a little bit because it was a terrible tackle… it could've been a real career-ender really."

Cardiff boss Morison was also critical of 20-year old substitute Isaak Davies, when asked by BBC Sport Wales why he had substituted the winger, who did not appear to be injured.

STEVE MORISON:

"He wasn't good enough. It's not sending a message, he just wasn't good enough," he said.

"If you come on, I bring you on to change a game, to help us and he was more a hindrance than he was a help.”

"So we made the change. It's not nice, it is not something I wanted to do, but I needed to try and do something to stem their flow.

"It's harsh, people will say I only did it because he's a young lad, but ultimately I did it because he wasn't good enough in that moment."

Morison offered no update on Wales striker Kieffer Moore, who limped off with a foot injury, but says he is recalling 22-year old striker Max Watters from a loan spell at MK Dons where he has scored seven goals in 14 games.

The Bluebirds boss added that he is "not yet able," to recall midfielder Ryan Wintle from a loan spell with Blackpool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steve Morison critical of two Cardiff players:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:24 am

I mentioned this on another thread - Bacuna totally justified but not Davies. His comments should be between him and the player. Davies has been fantastic this season and who knows what this will do to his confidence.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:48 am

Danny Says wrote:I mentioned this on another thread - Bacuna totally justified but not Davies. His comments should be between him and the player. Davies has been fantastic this season and who knows what this will do to his confidence.

the comment and quote on Davies is going to come back and bite Morrison, here and his next job interview or players he needs to manage, trust will be gone!

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 am

Danny Says wrote:I mentioned this on another thread - Bacuna totally justified but not Davies. His comments should be between him and the player. Davies has been fantastic this season and who knows what this will do to his confidence.

I saw your post on that thread; below mine! I said exactly that, very unprofessional from morisson inho, to slate a youngster in public is wrong!! He did it with zimba too!! He should keep them comments for the dressing room, poir form in my eyes.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Could argue that you shouldn’t praise the players in case they become bigheads. Davies hasn’t been fantastic, he’s been ok in patches. He’s a grown man, and should use the criticism to improve himself.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:09 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Could argue that you shouldn’t praise the players in case they become bigheads. Davies hasn’t been fantastic, he’s been ok in patches. He’s a grown man, and should use the criticism to improve himself.

The only positive is that it may make him a bigger and better player but I don’t agree with the rest of your post

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:04 pm

Danny Says wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Could argue that you shouldn’t praise the players in case they become bigheads. Davies hasn’t been fantastic, he’s been ok in patches. He’s a grown man, and should use the criticism to improve himself.

The only positive is that it may make him a bigger and better player but I don’t agree with the rest of your post

Or it could indeed set him back! Now all of a sudden he's gone from a young lad to a grown arsed man? I dont get that bit either! And still think it should have been an in house criticism.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:18 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Danny Says wrote:

Or it could indeed set him back! Now all of a sudden he's gone from a young lad to a grown arsed man? I dont get that bit either! And still think it should have been an in house criticism.

Paul, I think it will have been a deliberate ploy to shake the lad up. I'd like to think SM knows which players can take a rocket (public or otherwise) and learn positively from it, whilst others need that comforting arm...

I also feel sure Keiron Evans, a genuinely nice guy, will have said comforting arm from SM and his staff in the next training session and they will all move on positively

Time will tell via selection/performances; but SM is trying to get his team to perform to his instructions and will use varying methods to do so and according to how he sees them reacting

Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:30 am

Chris its isak davies not kieron evans mate. Fair comment though! I just wonder of he could have done it in a more positive way. Like he did ok, but needs work still, time will tell I suppose.

Happy new year to you and your family mate!

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:00 am

SMs criticism of Davies is bang out of order .
Even if it was right to pull him off, would the top managers come out and say that ?
Wenger / Ferguson always defended their players and kept it in house .
Davies is in a first season break through not a seasoned pro so is learning his trade .

As for Bacuna , he just doesn’t give a toss and that’s a bigger issue.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:56 pm

I’d have more respect for SM if he had ripped Bacuna a new hole in public too. Not just pick on the young lad.

Very amateur from SM and very unprofessional.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:34 pm

I don’t see how Bacuna can be criticised because he’s one of the older players and Davies can’t because he’s one of the younger?

They’re both in the senior squad aren’t they? They both had poor games didn’t they?

If your in the senior squad you get treated the same for me, whether you’re 18 or 38. Whether on £200 a week or £20,000 a week. None of this one rule for one and one for another. Once your in full time employment as an adult your no longer treated as a kid.

Steve Morison was asked a question and he gave an honest answer, he didn’t personally insult any player or belittle them, he told it exactly how it was and it was all relevant to football.