Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CUT THE BULLSHIT :

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:38 pm

CUT THE BULLSHIT :

There are two misconceptions that are doing the rounds relating to Steve Mirison’s time in charge :

(1) that we are now playing attractive football and passing the ball.

(2) that we have a team with a great many youngsters .

The way I see it is - yes we are passing the ball more overall and the football compared to McCarthy has improved beyond , as it was worse than piss poor under him,but the truth is that - by far - we look at our most dangerous on set pieces . Throw-ins , free kicks and corners.

If we have to describe ourselves , I would say we are a “set pieces” side rather than a passing side. On the issue of youngsters - the truth is that many sides have younger teams than us out there on the pitch ….. besides Morison is relying strongly on the older boys … not the kids.

This is not a criticism of Morison who I have supported so far. His record has been pretty ordinary but this is not his fault as we simply neither have the players nor the money to do much about it .

No proven manager worth his salt will accept yo manage us on this basis ….. they would have to be desperate. The rumor is that two turned us down before a “cheap (as in wages) and compliant (what Tan wants) Morison was chosen. I continue to support him . Put the propaganda aside namely that we are VERY different under him is simply not the case.

And don’t forget under the circumstances, NO money and a team full of the U23’s and a lot of quality left the squad in the last 2yrs, Morison was and still is the best man for the job, as without great tools you can’t expect any manager to do much better.

I still believe that chances are that we will stay up … and this has been helped with Derby and Reading being docked points . :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CUT THE BULLSHIT :

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:44 pm

New Manager Steve Morison :bluebird:

Sat Oct 30 Stoke City 3 Cardiff City 3 :bluebird: :bluebird: Crowd 21,413. Away Support ( 927) :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 3 Cardiff City 0 Queens Park Rangers 1 Crowd 16,882 Away Support (667) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Nov 6 Cardiff City 2 Huddersfield Town 1 Crowd 17,355. Away Support ( 535) :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Nov 20 Preston North End 1 Cardiff City 2 Crowd 10,739 Away Support ( 930 ) :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Nov 24 Cardiff City 0 Hull City 1 Crowd Away Support :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Nov 27 Luton Town 1 Cardiff City 2 Crowd 9,987 Away Support ( 1,032) :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Dec 4 Cardiff City 2 Sheffield United 3 Crowd Away Support ( 1,250) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Dec 11 Birmingham City 2 Cardiff City 2 Crowd Away Support ( 1,685 )

Dec 29 A.F.C. Bournemouth 3 Cardiff City 0 Crowd 8,942 Away (1,030) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sunday 2pm Jan 2 West Bromwich Albion 1 Cardiff City 1 Crowd: 22,925 Away Support 1,855 :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:53 pm

I see Reading as safe

Peterborough we need to keep under wraps

Derby doing superb

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:59 pm

It’s written in the stars - last game away at derby. Winner takes all.
Which won’t be Cardiff!

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:04 pm

Against West Brom we played football and we were very good for most of the game. Passing and movement was excellent and only NG was the weak link down there left as he can’t defend. If we can keep that standard up then Morison is going in the right direction. He had changed things compared to McCarthy but the fundamental problem is we lack quality. That hasn’t changed since Tomlin finished, Holliet left and to be fair even Bennett was a good attacking fullback and we haven’t replaced him.

On your second point we have many more youngsters in the squad with Morison there but only Colwill who could be good enough to push on. Bagan lost his confidence, Davies is along way short and Harris is ok . Brown is average, Mcguiness is decent and Zimba is unknown.

Personally unless a Burnley comes in with a bid for Moore we won’t be spending again while Tan is there. Colwill could fetch £3m if sold now and Mcgiuness is probably worth £2m now. So it’s free transfers and Loan signings and with Giles gone unless we get a creator in his place we could well go down

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:05 pm

A great point about the 'myth' we play attractive football. What Wales Online smoke i want some of that! :laughing6: :)

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:28 pm

For me it's no longer about playing football that is pretty on the eye and it's not about the performance it's ALL about results now.

There is absolutely no hiding from the fact we have the worst home record in the Championship having only taken 7 points from 33 available, in comparison we have the 10th best away record with 16 points from 39 available. In fairness to Steve Morison he has taken 9 points out of the 15 available in the away games under his charge but at home it's just 3 out of the 12 available, which is still better than numb nuts McCarthy.

Given the number of assists Ryan Giles has provided this season losing him today is massive and for me we have no chance of SM being allowed to sign a replacement so we enter the last 22 games needing to win 9 games to reach the 50 point safety.

Anyone fancy naming those games? We are lucky Derby and Reading have been docked points because No Bullshit we are in a full on relegation battle.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:28 pm

I’ve not heard anybody say we play attractive football but perhaps I’ve missed it.

For me, while I don’t think we play attractive football per se, our football is 10 times better to watch than McCarthys dross.

Of course we still rely on set pieces, Morison still has the same players more or less.

Our manager is doing all he can under difficult circumstances and should be supported by all imo.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:32 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’ve not heard anybody say we play attractive football but perhaps I’ve missed it.

For me, while I don’t think we play attractive football per se, our football is 10 times better to watch than McCarthys dross.

Of course we still rely on set pieces, Morison still has the same players more or less.

Our manager is doing all he can under difficult circumstances and should be supported by all imo.

Being strong on set-plays is GOOD. Morrison is a good coach to keep the standards high there. Just about to watch Utd vs Wolves. Utd have 0 goals from set-play all season.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:It’s written in the stars - last game away at derby. Winner takes all.
Which won’t be Cardiff!

Why are you so miserable?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Reply Twitter:

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Reply Twitter:

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:58 pm

I've not really seen those rumours. Perhaps a couple of people believe we are playing attractive football, but most I imagine, are saying that we are playing better football...which is true.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:37 pm

All I can say is that we are playing a lot better football now than we did at stray of the season.
Morison is a ‘rookie’ manager so needs all the support from us ‘fans’.
This season is about survival, ‘attractive’ football can wait for another day.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Nothing wrong with our strengths being set pieces, headers and crosses. That’s what the team is built for with several tall, strong players. We’re never going to play like Man City or Liverpool but that’s okay as long as the team are playing to their strengths. In fact if we did try to play “attractive football” we’d probably have worse results as we’ve not got the team for it.

Under Morison we look a lot better than we did under MM which should be praised.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:11 pm

We are not an attractive playing football team but we are a lot better than when MM was managing us.

We do have a young squad now that I hope will get better. Will they get good enough to survive only time will tell this season.

There is a lot of concern that Giles has been recalled but I personally don't think that is the worry. Its our defence that needs revamping and if we don't make improvements there then we could collapse big time.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:We are not an attractive playing football team but we are a lot better than when MM was managing us.

We do have a young squad now that I hope will get better. Will they get good enough to survive only time will tell this season.

There is a lot of concern that Giles has been recalled but I personally don't think that is the worry. Its our defence that needs revamping and if we don't make improvements there then we could collapse big time.

Good post

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Maybe not attractive football. But it's football with a purpose, the players are singing off the same hymn sheet fighting for every ball and when we gets the chance to get it down we do actually try and play a bit rather than Mccarthys hoof from centre half and completely bypassing the midfield.

As for the youngsters I don't think anyone is labelling them as world beaters but each of them definitely have a ability in their own right. Each of them are all footballers who have been taught to play with the ball on the deck with the instincts to try and pass and move which is refreshing.

We're in a transitional stage whilst also in a dogfight so its certainly not going to be all rosy. If we can nurture these boys and get through this season then we'll be in a better place for it.

Just have the summer to contend with then. :lol:

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:04 pm

(1) We are now playing attractive football and passing the ball.

No we are not playing attractive football whatever that is. I prefer Liverpool or chelsea than Man City so who decides what is attractive. What we need is effective winning football. Dropping two centre halfs at goal kicks is laughable when it is Nelson and Flint.
We don't have a balanced squad. Kieffer looks great for Wales as his job is to pin the centre halfs and allow our talented attacking midfielders a bit more time and space. We don't have any, but have 5 CM's and 5 centre halfs.

(2) We have a team with a great many youngsters .

We may have a lot of potential but we need to feed them in slowly. If these kids can go from U23 to holding their own in the championship then they will end up in the premier league. Not many can do that (Rambo)

4231 allows Colwell to start
433 allows Harris and Davies to start

We chose a coach who had managed as many first team games as you or me. He knew the squad and we need to get behind him, but he needs some alternative choices in terms of squad so over to the recruitment guys and Vinnys cheque book

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:06 pm

The team playing under the "style and direction" of both Harris and McCarthy wasnt working - we know that much. Maybe it's the personality of the manager that made a difference. Maybe it's the slight changes to the style of play that has made the difference.

The truth is - as it was - it wasnt working.
As it is now - it appears to be making a difference. Maybe that's the dead cat bounce before we slump again. But a team with some young hungry talent with a few old heads seems to be the more balanced approach. The certainly seem to want to play for him.

Isaak Davies - any thoughts ? - attitude problem or not ?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:44 pm

Saying we are playing more attractive football than under Warnock, Harris and McCarthy is not the same as saying we play attractive football.
Morison is working with what he has inherited, besides him publicly slating the youngsters and playing/trusting Bacuna I don't think he has done much wrong. I don't see the purpose of this post to be honest, we put up a good fight in the first half vs Bournemouth, we took a point away to West Brom, we only lost to Sheff Utd thanks to Mozza.....we have improved a lot and given time, money (if we can scrape some) and some luck finally we can survive this god awful season and reset over the summer. We need to back the team now more than ever.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:11 pm

CantonStandBob wrote:Saying we are playing more attractive football than under Warnock, Harris and McCarthy is not the same as saying we play attractive football.
Morison is working with what he has inherited, besides him publicly slating the youngsters and playing/trusting Bacuna I don't think he has done much wrong. I don't see the purpose of this post to be honest, we put up a good fight in the first half vs Bournemouth, we took a point away to West Brom, we only lost to Sheff Utd thanks to Mozza.....we have improved a lot and given time, money (if we can scrape some) and some luck finally we can survive this god awful season and reset over the summer. We need to back the team now more than ever.

A good post mate, i'd just remind that a forum bashing isn't the same as actually going against the team. Fans sounded ace at WBA, great supporters :notworthy: :notworthy: :occasion5:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:02 am

What I don't get is, one minute there are posts saying , "no youngsters starting (Bournemouth as an example) Morison doesn't trust them" "not good enough" etc etc, to "a team full of younsters" , not many youngsters are starting, or playing full games! We have a squad with a lot of youngsters, not a team?

What is clear to me, is some posters have seemed to have already started to doubt if he is the right man, and don't seem to have the patience of others, that have wanted our club to do a reset, and in truth I'm one, even said if we can do it, and keep our Championship status, that for me will be enough for this season, I for one am fed up of us signing crocks, journey men, last pay day searchers, fat long contracts , that usually end up being paid off! , players like bacuna, who I have met, and is a nice lad, but steals a big pay packet each month, etc etc.

I'm sure most of the board, and I include Barclay1 in this, we're pleased with the "commitee" when they chose Morison, over some of the dreaded names mentioned, and some even praised it as a good positive appointment, kudos to tthe committee etc, and I'm damn sure we all said the transformation would not happen overnight,and we as fans needed patience like the old days, where we got behind the boys 100%, even at 4-0 down! Imho, it's like McCarthy was told his tenure was in a bad position, then he was allowed to choose who stayed, was sold, or went on loan, he stripped the squad of creativity, hung himself in the process, but left the squad lopsided as f@ck to boot!!

I'll be over the moon at survival, the sala case to come to a close, one way or the other! And see where that all leaves us, until then, I'm KEEPING THE FAITH! remember them words bluebirds. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:13 am

Anyone claiming we're not playing better football under Morison is either blind or doesn't know football.

The problem Morison has is turning "better" football into "good" football with the same players who've had it drilled into them, since Warnock, that we get it into the opposition box at the earliest opportunity.

The direct approach is a bit "feast or famine" and works when we're right on it but because of the lack of control in games can, and latterly did, result in us just giving the ball to the opposition who then punished us.

Playing with more possession is making the games tighter and, hopefully, will mean that we will get enough points to keep us safe but it's a big re-building job.

I do agree with those that say we don't have enough creativity which is why I'm struggling to understand why Morison isn't starting Colwill more often. He's not the finished article but he's the only player we have who looks to get the ball on the half turn and make things happen. It won't always come off and we'll have to pick a team around him to allow him to play but he's certainly got something that the others don't.

I fully back Morison and I think things are going in the right direction but we need to hang on until the summer when a lot of the big earners will either be off our books or taking lower wages to create some room to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

I really don't get some people on here now having doubts about Morison. He's doing exactly what we though he would do, and needed to do, and the fact that these people are now expressing doubts just shows why we are in this mess. At some point you have to make a brave, unproven, appointment and stick with it as long as you can see the shoots of recovery.

Things are improving but it's a massive re-build and actually a bit of a "reset" in terms of attitude for all, including us supporters.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:30 am

piledriver64 wrote:Anyone claiming we're not playing better football under Morison is either blind or doesn't know football.

The problem Morison has is turning "better" football into "good" football with the same players who've had it drilled into them, since Warnock, that we get it into the opposition box at the earliest opportunity.

The direct approach is a bit "feast or famine" and works when we're right on it but because of the lack of control in games can, and latterly did, result in us just giving the ball to the opposition who then punished us.

Playing with more possession is making the games tighter and, hopefully, will mean that we will get enough points to keep us safe but it's a big re-building job.

I do agree with those that say we don't have enough creativity which is why I'm struggling to understand why Morison isn't starting Colwill more often. He's not the finished article but he's the only player we have who looks to get the ball on the half turn and make things happen. It won't always come off and we'll have to pick a team around him to allow him to play but he's certainly got something that the others don't.

I fully back Morison and I think things are going in the right direction but we need to hang on until the summer when a lot of the big earners will either be off our books or taking lower wages to create some room to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

I really don't get some people on here now having doubts about Morison. He's doing exactly what we though he would do, and needed to do, and the fact that these people are now expressing doubts just shows why we are in this mess. At some point you have to make a brave, unproven, appointment and stick with it as long as you can see the shoots of recovery.

Things are improving but it's a massive re-build and actually a bit of a "reset" in terms of attitude for all, including us supporters.

Great post. I have said many times we don’t have the patience to do what Swansea have done.

What an ironic title as well.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:41 am

bluesince62 wrote:What I don't get is, one minute there are posts saying , "no youngsters starting (Bournemouth as an example) Morison doesn't trust them" "not good enough" etc etc, to "a team full of younsters" , not many youngsters are starting, or playing full games! We have a squad with a lot of youngsters, not a team?

What is clear to me, is some posters have seemed to have already started to doubt if he is the right man, and don't seem to have the patience of others, that have wanted our club to do a reset, and in truth I'm one, even said if we can do it, and keep our Championship status, that for me will be enough for this season, I for one am fed up of us signing crocks, journey men, last pay day searchers, fat long contracts , that usually end up being paid off! , players like bacuna, who I have met, and is a nice lad, but steals a big pay packet each month, etc etc.

I'm sure most of the board, and I include Barclay1 in this, we're pleased with the "commitee" when they chose Morison, over some of the dreaded names mentioned, and some even praised it as a good positive appointment, kudos to tthe committee etc, and I'm damn sure we all said the transformation would not happen overnight,and we as fans needed patience like the old days, where we got behind the boys 100%, even at 4-0 down! Imho, it's like McCarthy was told his tenure was in a bad position, then he was allowed to choose who stayed, was sold, or went on loan, he stripped the squad of creativity, hung himself in the process, but left the squad lopsided as f@ck to boot!!

I'll be over the moon at survival, the sala case to come to a close, one way or the other! And see where that all leaves us, until then, I'm KEEPING THE FAITH! remember them words bluebirds. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

If No youngsters don’t start then why would it not Paul be mentioned?

When they did start 3-4 of them then it was mentioned .

As to the comments / words they are Steve Morison’s No one else’s so why not put them on here if he has said them?

I have virtually praised Morison, but I feel the only way we can improve is by strengthening this month, otherwise we are in this battle till the end of the season, thankfully we might be saved by other clubs? But do we really want to take that chance?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:45 am

piledriver64 wrote:Anyone claiming we're not playing better football under Morison is either blind or doesn't know football.

I really don't get some people on here now having doubts about Morison. He's doing exactly what we though he would do, and needed to do, and the fact that these people are now expressing doubts just shows why we are in this mess. At some point you :bluebird: have to make a brave, unproven, appointment and stick with it as long as you can see the shoots of recovery.

Maybe what you thought he might do, but many fans I speak to are shocked he starts with No youngsters at all.

If our youngsters aged 19,20 and 21 are as good as some are saying you would expect them to start ?

As Morison was their manager, in my opinion by starting none he must not rate them as high as everyone thought?

Just read some of Morison comments about them, they are not very endorsing in fact they’ve shocked me.

I have said under the current circumstances I believe Morison was the best manager for the current job :thumbright:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I really don't get some people on here now having doubts about Morison. He's doing exactly what we though he would do, and needed to do, and the fact that these people are now expressing doubts just shows why we are in this mess. At some point you :bluebird: have to make a brave, unproven, appointment and stick with it as long as you can see the shoots of recovery.

Maybe what you thought he might do, but many fans I speak to are shocked he starts with No youngsters at all.

If our youngsters aged 19,20 and 21 are as good as some are saying you would expect them to start ?

As Morison was their manager, in my opinion by starting mine he must not rate them as high as everyone thought?

I have said under the current circumstances I believe Morison was the best manager for the current job :thumbright:

Agreed, although there is a pretty strong defence for him not playing youngsters away at Bournemouth and WBA, arguably the 2 best teams in the division. You don't want the kids to get hammered and lose their confidence.

For me Isaak Davies, Colwill, McGuinness are ready to be playing regularly (probably Bowen too, when fit). The rest I need to be convinced on although I was really pleased to see Patton on the bench on Sunday as I think he has a real chance of making it.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:What I don't get is, one minute there are posts saying , "no youngsters starting (Bournemouth as an example) Morison doesn't trust them" "not good enough" etc etc, to "a team full of younsters" , not many youngsters are starting, or playing full games! We have a squad with a lot of youngsters, not a team?

As to the comments / words they are Steve Morison’s No one else’s so why not put them on here if he has said them?

I have virtually praised Morison, but I feel the only way we can improve is by strengthening this month, otherwise we are in this battle till the end of the season, thankfully we might be saved by other clubs? But do we really want to take that chance?

You seem to be missing my point Annis, not having a pop, but we dont have a "team" full of youngsters.we have a squad with lots in, but hardly a team each week. We ALL know its a big step for any youngsters from u 23 to 1st team,and not all will be good enough, if we have 3 that come through this year, for me thats an achievement in itself.
I think we are in a battle, new recruitments or not, time to roll the sleeves up and fight.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You seem to be missing my point Annis, not having a pop, but we dont have a "team" full of youngsters.we have a squad with lots in, but hardly a team each week. We ALL know its a big step for any youngsters from u 23 to 1st team,and not all will be good enough, if we have 3 that come through this year, for me thats an achievement in itself.
I think we are in a battle, new recruitments or not, time to roll the sleeves up and fight.

Paul,

I said from day one if 1-3 youngsters made it every year, I would be more than happy.

But we have had Xero coming through for 12 years and then suddenly Tan said I want a first team squad full of them, yet the majority are def not good enough.

They got Media Wales to put out they were all stars and for me totally bullshitted to our fans.

Yes you can ease a couple in every season if they are good enough , but we suddenly had 10.