Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RUBIN COLWILL QUESTION?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Why considering he is our most skilful player, does he have do little game time? Seldom does he start a game. Discuss

Re: Colwill

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:41 pm

when he came in yesterday he was way off pace of the game.. he came on trying to ply his ‘casual style’ which was behind pace of the game.. said said for’Davies’, really don’t know what was wrong with him.looked like he had lead in his boots and that he had no clue what was going on.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:45 pm

Brezza

Totally agree when i look at vaulks running around like a headless chicken or walking around and pack i have worked out why he does' nt go forward and prefers going back or sideways
Its his beard it really slows him down running forward why does he not shave it off
Did morrison say somewhwre he did not think colwill had 90 mins in him
The lad is a kid should be fit as a fiddle so your guess as good as mine as to why he gets 15 mins only

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:43 pm

My guess was we were out fighting and frustrating them in midfield with our 3 midfielders in there. Considering we were playing a top 3 team away from home I'd imagine he didn't want to risk going more attacking and opening ourselves up to throwing the point away. As soon as they went down to 10 it made sense why he threw colwill on.

I'd love to see more of him and I think the more run of games he gets he's going to get better but with the position we're in its horses for courses and fighting for every point.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 pm

My view? He's simply not good enough. He's not in the same league as Earnie, Jerome, Ledley, Matthews, Ramsay, Ralls when he came in, even Gunter.

Re: RUBIN COLWILL QUESTION?

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:08 pm

He has barely played proper football

The game has moved a lot in the last decade. He is coming up against midfielders and defender who are physically stronger and faster than him. He needs a season out of the limelight in L2 or lower to get his physicality and timing up. He'll end up in the premier league

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Barclay1 wrote:My view? He's simply not good enough. He's not in the same league as Earnie, Jerome, Ledley, Matthews, Ramsay, Ralls when he came in, even Gunter.

Good enough players keep the shirt no matter the age. Too much hype going on imo and not just Colwill.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:40 pm

llan bluebird wrote:He has barely played proper football

The game has moved a lot in the last decade. He is coming up against midfielders and defender who are physically stronger and faster than him. He needs a season out of the limelight in L2 or lower to get his physicality and timing up. He'll end up in the premier league

I get the late bloomer thing, and yes if the club patient a player can be produced. The committee has asked the academy to step-up right now sink-or-swim

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:39 am

Barclay1 wrote:My view? He's simply not good enough. He's not in the same league as Earnie, Jerome, Ledley, Matthews, Ramsay, Ralls when he came in, even Gunter.

You forgot Collins in that impressive list of players who came through our ranks.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am

Brezza wrote:Why considering he is our most skilful player, does he have do little game time? Seldom does he start a game. Discuss

I'm a big backer of Morison but this one is slightly puzzling.

The only thing I can think is that he doesn't fit the formation in certain games, e.g. Bournemouth and WBA, as he needs to be freed from too many defensive duties to be really effective in the right areas.

I would hope that may change with Wintle in midfield providing a bit more "legs" to be able to cover, let's hope so because until he plays regularly we're never going to know how good he actually is.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:13 am

Hes 19 years old and this is his first full season in the Championship. He will probably be in and out of the team all season. Morison went for experience in the last 2 games but he played 90mins and 71mins the two games before that. It's how it should be done with the youngsters. Under normal circumstances he probably would have been sent out on loan but we are desperate for players so that's not happening.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:48 pm

ThomasC wrote:

I get the late bloomer thing, and yes if the club patient a player can be produced. The committee has asked the academy to step-up right now sink-or-swim

Nothing to do with being a late bloomer, the lads 19. He's just not up to speed yet.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:13 pm

nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Nothing to do with being a late bloomer, the lads 19. He's just not up to speed yet.

Therein lies a problem, some talents mentioned on this thread did get to speed with pro football at the level required and surpassed it. Is that the benchmark/standard required for the new generation? I say Yes if the club wants success. And I regard the Dave Jones Cardiff side to be packed with talent and great homegrown youngsters :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:18 pm

ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Therein lies a problem, some talents mentioned on this thread did get to speed with pro football at the level required and surpassed it. Is that the benchmark/standard required for the new generation? I say Yes if the club wants success. And I regard the Dave Jones Cardiff side to be packed with talent and great homegrown youngsters :ayatollah:

So your point is he doesn't make the grade because he's not setting the world alight like a crop of players from 15 years ago?

There is no "problem". He needs to be nurtured and developed propperly, that doesn't mean getting thrown into a relegation battle sink or swim.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:36 pm

nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

So your point is he doesn't make the grade because he's not setting the world alight like a crop of players from 15 years ago?

There is no "problem". He needs to be nurtured and developed propperly, that doesn't mean getting thrown into a relegation battle sink or swim.

It's a good question that, should I back down or not. Not. If not ready, then they shouldn't play but how long we wait? The comparison to 15 years ago, I should say it's a little easier for youth players of the prev generation, being paired with good pros besides them. I just feel there are a lot of excuses for our new crop not getting in the team, the newest ones are they can't handle big clubs away from home and can't handle a relegation scrap. What exactly are the perfect conditions required to see them on the pitch. Cheers mate NNY :occasion5:

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:50 pm

ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

It's a good question that, should I back down or not. Not. If not ready, then they shouldn't play but how long we wait? The comparison to 15 years ago, I should say it's a little easier for youth players of the prev generation, being paired with good pros besides them. I just feel there are a lot of excuses for our new crop not getting in the team, the newest ones are they can't handle big clubs away from home and can't handle a relegation scrap. What exactly are the perfect conditions required to see them on the pitch. Cheers mate NNY :occasion5:

The reality is I think mate not one of them is good enough yet to have a propper run in the team, they're there because they're being forced through. The hype around Colwill is blown way out of proportion because hes the first youngster we've seen who can play a bit in years.

Like I said... they need time.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:21 pm

nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

The reality is I think mate not one of them is good enough yet to have a propper run in the team, they're there because they're being forced through. The hype around Colwill is blown way out of proportion because hes the first youngster we've seen who can play a bit in years.

Like I said... they need time.

Colwill was disapointing when he came on at WBA. Like people have said before, wasn't up to speed. The season depends on a few of these future 'stars' making a difference. Cheers mate