Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wolves chief explains Giles recall Wolves' technical direct

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:17 pm

Wolves chief explains Giles recall

Monday 3rd January 2022

Wolves' technical director Scott Sellars says he has been hugely impressed with Ryan Giles' impact at Cardiff City.

The 21-year-old was due to spend the duration of the campaign on loan with the Bluebirds, although on Monday, it was confirmed he had been recalled by his parent club.

Sellars has revealed Giles will immediately slot back into the Molineux outfit's squad having registered nine assists in his 21 league outings for Cardiff.

"Gilo has been doing great out on loan. He’s been playing in numerous positions, on both wings and wing-back, and has done very well," he said.

"Now, with Covid, injuries and international call-ups, players are dropping out, and he’ll be added to the squad.

"What he’s been doing at Cardiff has been impressive, when he was in forward positions his assist record was outstanding, and this is an opportunity to come back and train with the first-team and show Bruno [Lage] what he’s learned.

"He came back in the November international break, which was great, and we now need to make sure we have options during the current Covid situation. It’s a chance to work with a Premier League first-team for him and we’re making sure we’re protecting ourselves."

Re: Wolves chief explains Giles recall Wolves' technical di

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:17 pm

The fact Giles is joint top of Championship assists table (with Reading’s Jon Swift) in a struggling team says a lot. Tough to replace.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:49 pm

We'll have to get Murphy back pronto and hope Morison can get a tune out of him.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:39 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:We'll have to get Murphy back pronto and hope Morison can get a tune out of him.

I don't rate Murphy that much tbh, but we, like most clubs, need all our players back (unless they ee piss poor!,even then, the other club could end the loan :sad7: ) and even if he comes back, he is only just getting on grass again, after injury, so won't feature till end of Feb probably! But I am wondering if he gets fit, will he fight and try to either earn another contract with us? Or put himself in the shop window? I can't see him wanting to take a big drop from his current earnings, and we need his wages off the books, either to invest in young talent, or get some experience in! Time will tell, he could just sulk, until his contract runs out!!

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:19 am

Are other clubs doing this? I get the feeling they are. We have recalled most of ours, and had Giles recalled.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:44 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Are other clubs doing this? I get the feeling they are. We have recalled most of ours, and had Giles recalled.

Yes the press communication was very well prepared however I'd suggest he's only back as they need squad cover due to Covid and see an opportunity to move him on once the Covid impact recedes , as good as he looks I don't think he's Premiership standard and can look poor in front of goal, should have scored more in my view if he is that good ?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:36 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:We'll have to get Murphy back pronto and hope Morison can get a tune out of him.

And play him wing back!?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:27 pm

New Day Rising wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Are other clubs doing this? I get the feeling they are. We have recalled most of ours, and had Giles recalled.

Yes the press communication was very well prepared however I'd suggest he's only back as they need squad cover due to Covid and see an opportunity to move him on once the Covid impact recedes , as good as he looks I don't think he's Premiership standard and can look poor in front of goal, should have scored more in my view if he is that good ?

It's not all about goals. The kids 21 and joint top assists in the league whilst mostly playing at wing back in a god awful team.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:30 pm

nubbsy wrote:
New Day Rising wrote:

It's not all about goals. The kids 21 and joint top assists in the league whilst mostly playing at wing back in a god awful team.

Fits into the Wolves goal shy system quite well lol

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:16 am

Forever Blue wrote:The fact Giles is joint top of Championship assists table (with Reading’s Jon Swift) in a struggling team says a lot. Tough to replace.

Spot On .

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:46 pm

https://www.molineux.news/news/report-w ... -loan/amp/

Apparently if Giles doesn't get much game time this month he's heading back out on loan.

Possibly back to us.

"Or they could go to different clubs. Apparently there is a lot of interest in both youngsters.

At this stage, it is ‘more likely’ that both will head out again. The club are aware it is important for their development that they continue playing."