Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison: ‘ James Collins ‘

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:16 pm

Steve Morison has suggested the lack of 'outside support' has made it harder for James Collins to make his mark at Cardiff City.

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 4th January 2022

Collins was on target for City during the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion on Sunday, netting only his second goal for the club since arriving from Luton Town in the summer.

James Collins scored his 2nd goal in 25th appearance for the Bluebirds, missing many good chances during those games.

Barring a somewhat dubious offside decision around Callum Robinson's leveller, it may well have been enough to take what would have been a superb three points.

Nevertheless, in the absence of Kieffer Moore, it was arguably one of his best games in a Cardiff shirt, although the shadow of the Wales international still looms large.

Indeed, despite this goal, there may well be some City fans that still doubt the Irishman's ability to step up.

But there's clearly no shortage of belief from Morison himself, who appeared to suggest that Moore's status as a national hero has perhaps made Collins a far easier target for critics.

Steve Morison:

"I thought he was excellent today," Morison said after the draw with the Baggies. "He scored a good header. Obviously he's going to be judged on goals.

"He hasn't got the support around him from the outside that Kieffer's got, being number nine for Wales etc etc.

"I asked him to perform today and he did. He was excellent. I'm really, really pleased for him."

Pressed further on why the 31-year-old perhaps doesn't get the same level of support as Cardiff's number 10, Morison reiterated: "He's not Kieffer Moore is he? Kieffer's Wales' number 9.

"He plays week in, week out for us and he's got the nation behind him.

"He scored 20 goals in the Championship for Cardiff last season. He [Collins] has got big shoes to fill when he steps in and so every time he doesn't step up he's going to have his critics.

"But as a footballer, you can't worry about the noise on the outside. As long as your manager and your peers are behind you, and they believe in you; that's what's important."

Blotting out the outside noise is easier said than done, of course; but such a welcome endorsement will surely be a tremendous boost to Collins, who may well handed another opportunity to prove his credentials against Preston North End in the FA Cup on Sunday.

It's a chance he simply has to take, as the return of Max Watters from MK Dons has only intensified the competition for places - and the level of scrutiny on Morison's options up front.

"He plays week in, week out for us and he's got the nation behind him.

"He scored 20 goals in the Championship for Cardiff last season. He [Collins] has got big shoes to fill when he steps in and so every time he doesn't step up he's going to have his critics.

"But as a footballer, you can't worry about the noise on the outside. As long as your manager and your peers are behind you, and they believe in you; that's what's important."

Blotting out the outside noise is easier said than done, of course; but such a welcome endorsement will surely be a tremendous boost to Collins, who may well handed another opportunity to prove his credentials against Preston North End in the FA Cup on Sunday.

It's a chance he simply has to take, as the return of Max Watters from MK Dons has only intensified the competition for places - and the level of scrutiny on Morison's options up front.

Re: Steve Morison: ‘ James Collins ‘

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Think Morison needs to learn to not always say what he thinks. Kieffer gets the support because yes he did well for Wales before signing but also because he scored 20 goals in his debut season. Collins has 2 and has missed a lot of good chances. I have never heard any booing or unjust slating of Collins only people questioning if he is good enough or saying they want him to do well as he clearly tries hard. So making out like the fans don't support him is wrong and unfair on our fans who always support our players IF they put in a shift and try.
He has been in charge less than 2 months and has done alright, but slating the young players publically and now questioning the fans is showing his lack of experience. Imagine Bellamy had been given the job and had slated Zimba and Davies publically he would have been accused of bullying etc again in the media.
I like Morison and hope he keeps up the job he is doing but will someone please give him lessons on what to say in interviews so he doesn't come across as a totally arrogant pillock.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 am

Agree I think it's lack of experience and not much around him to help. Collins has never been booed when I have gone as his effort is always there. Just missed so many chances the moans will be there when he misses. Glad to see him score and the passion he showed too

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:59 am

For me, Steve Morison has been refreshing with his honesty and doesn't hide away from a question; something many on here have banged on about at all levels within the club over recent years

How many times have posters asked "Was he watching the same game?" after spouting out the usual 'protective' platitudes after a poor performance?

Let's remember, the players were pretty vocal in their wanting Steve Morison to be given the job and given he came from within, it can be assumed they knew his character and were on board with him and his determined approach. Not forgetting the support were mainly on board, too

This appears to be a public support of James Collins, which can only be a good thing for his confidence; particularly after his performance v WBA

People who say there have been 'no moans' about Collins (and selected others) are mistaken. He has been vilified by many on almost every occasion he has played in a similar way to Bacuna and (to some extent) Pack. The difference is he has simply played less games

And Steve Morison may well have a point when he suggests Keiffer gets a little more leeway than Collins and others. Keiffer has hardly ripped it up this season as he recovered from his failed Premier League move and then injury and Covid; and I feel the stats woukd show he's missed as many (politely worded) good opportunities in front of goal as Collins in ratio terms

Looks like Collins, who was prolific in pre-season, could be in for a few games, so let's give him a chance and get behind him, the team and the manager