Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated: Josh Murphy

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm

UPDATED:

05/01/2022

PRESTON FC:

Preston boss Ryan Lowe has confirmed that winger Josh Murphy has suffered an injury setback and will now miss the next few weeks.

North End travel to take on Cardiff City in the FA Cup this weekend, with Murphy unable to play anyway.

With the CCFC board saying their is No money for transfers or big loan signings?

The question remains, then, will Josh Murphy or Gavin Whyte get the recall?

By Glen Williams

Wednesday 5th January 2021

Murphy is an interesting case. His loan spell at Preston has not gone according to plan, but many believe he can still offer something in the back half of the campaign.

So, with Cardiff in desperate need for something, or someone, to spark them in the latter half of the season, is Murphy what Cardiff are lacking?

Murphy is an interesting case. His loan spell at Preston has not gone according to plan, but many believe he can still offer something in the back half of the campaign.

So, with Cardiff in desperate need for something, or someone, to spark them in the latter half of the season, is Murphy the man who could help to get City out of this mess?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Josh Murphy’

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:27 pm

The case for

Need for pace and X-Factor : There is a real dearth of pace in this Cardiff squad, something which has been exacerbated by the club's fastest player, Ryan Giles, leaving.

When you think back to the breakaway, counter-attacking goals that the club has scored in recent seasons, with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Sheyi Ojo and Murphy himself at times hurtling down the field and hitting the opposition quickly, that has disappeared.

Cardiff's attack can be so laboured and while there is an attempt to shift to a new, more passing-based system, there still needs to be that counter threat and speed is needed to give teams something else to worry about.

There is a distinct lack of X-Factor in this squad, too. With no Harry Wilson or Lee Tomlin to lean on to create something, the weighty burden of creativity has fallen on the shoulders of teenager Rubin Colwill, a player very much still learning his trade.

Murphy, on his day, does have the ability to create something from nothing and can worry defenders. In form and high on confidence, Murphy can dribble, get in behind and also chip in with goals - however his output has been below what was expected, it must be said.

New system suits : It's probably fair to say that the brands of football implemented by Neil Warnock, Neil Harris and Mick McCarthy have not been conducive to Murphy's strengths.

Steve Morison has attempted to change things slightly, although it is a slow shift and there is still some way to go before they are considered a particularly aesthetically-pleasing side to watch.

But there is no doubt that this is perhaps the best system so far at Cardiff in which Murphy could actually thrive. There has been more emphasis placed on actually trying to spread the ball wide and use the flank players, such as Giles and Perry Ng, but further up the pitch there has been a lack of real quality on the wing.

If there was a brand of football Cardiff which could coax somewhere near his best football out of Murphy, this is it.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:53 pm

In an ideal situation we would leave Murphy out on loan (or sell him) and bring in some other attacking / pacey players.

While our youngsters are excellent, we don't have a youngster who can naturally deliver crosses and assists in the first team just yet (although Davies looks like he will be ready next season for more of that kind of role).

However, if we can't or won't bring in any wingers / pacey players.. then with the different playing style I don't see the harm in bringing Murphy back and giving him a go. We are still paying 50% of his wages so it's worth taking the risk.

Not my first choice of an option... But without any new signings it may be worth considering.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Murphy has this week started running on grass following a torn ankle liagment injury.The longest hes played this season is 20 minutes.
Morison might wait until the last minute.As for Whyte I think if he was coming back he'd be here by now.
Decent player could do a job for us.
https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ry-3508262

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:02 pm

stickywicket wrote:Murphy has this week started running on grass following a torn ankle liagment injury.The longest hes played this season is 20 minutes.

Morison might wait until the last minute.As for Whyte I think if he was coming back he'd be here by now.
Decent player could do a job for us.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ry-3508262

Def not ready yet then Murphy, on his day he can be good.

Whyte also a decent player.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:03 pm

Club record signing :

This is hardly the player's fault, but there was a time when Murphy was an £11million player. That, of course, is no longer the case, but how can a club's record signing really be allowed to see his time peter out on loan with a Championship rival?

He has just months left to run on his Cardiff contract, which can be a plus and a minus, I suppose, but at the very least he would be playing to put himself in the shop window for a new club in the summer.

For a few months in the Premier League, Murphy looked a top player. Indeed, a forward line which included Murphy, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Bobby DeCordova-Reid looked set to rip the Championship apart the following season. None of those players are currently at the club, though.

But Murphy could be. He still has the quality to rip apart the defences of Barnsley, Peterborough, Reading, Hull City, the teams around Cardiff who they need to beat if they are to propel themselves up the table.

He is £11m worth of talent, which has been completely wasted, who could yet have a say on where this club is playing next year. It is the ultimate opportunity to win back the thousands of fans who have consigned him to the 'flops' category.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:17 pm

No doubting murphy ability as a winger and "not played with the right managers" but he is a winger ffs
so many excuses for murphy season after season he had the worse attidude of all the players we had under warnock an non interest to play either for the manager or the shirt and if warnock the best man manager could not get a tune out of him nobody could.
Doubt morrison could get anything out of him and another like vassell sicknote.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Many on hear, quite rightly, will tell me why we can’t play a form of 5-3-2 football, however I believe that players with pace and tricky feet, capable of skinning a defender, should be able to cross a ball and if they can’t then practice until you can!
Following on from this though, Mark Harris is pacy and seems to have good feet, can he cross a ball? After all we’ve got no lack of quality waiting for that cross. Also playing with a “winger” mindset sort of reduces the goal scoring expectations, resulting in playing with more freedom, cutting inside and having a go :D
:bluescarf:

Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:52 pm

montyblue wrote:No doubting murphy ability as a winger and "not played with the right managers" but he is a winger ffs
so many excuses for murphy season after season he had the worse attidude of all the players we had under warnock an non interest to play either for the manager or the shirt and if warnock the best man manager could not get a tune out of him nobody could.
Doubt morrison could get anything out of him and another like vassell sicknote.

Agreed.

The fact that nobody really questions whether he has the ability just makes it worse for me. He should be our top player but because of his attitude/application he's certainly no better than what we've got and a lot worse than a number of them.

He's failed under Warnock, Harris and McCarthy. He went to Preston as his old coach from Norwich was the manager and Murphy actually said that his style would suit him better.

Guess what ....................... it didn't !! He couldn't get into the starting line up and then, after 2 months, got injured and hasn't played since.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks that Morison can get more than the usual 2 good games in 10-12 that we've become so used to ?

All at a cost of £24k per week. Even if he did come back and prove me wrong, which he won't !!, it's only the minimum we should expect of a player costing that much.

Not for me thank you, I'd rather persevere with some of the kids who actually want to play for us and will leave everything out there.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Luckily the deadleg is injured AGAIN - so he wont be darkening our doors any time soon.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Murphy will put a performance in for 1 in 10 appearances, if we're lucky. I couldn't wait to see the back of him, and I don't ever want to see him in a Cardiff shirt again.

The worst thing he ever did was sign for us. Such a promising talent at Norwich which we seemingly destroyed.

I'd rather give Whyte the chance of a recall, and maybe try to bring Isaak Davies on with more game time.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:19 pm

Are we that desperate that we are considering having Murphy back?

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Its been reported that we are saving 10k a week in wages having Murphy on loan. If we can afford to bring him back then surely we would be better off using that money to try and get a decent, reliable player in on loan.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:56 pm

I have no doubt it's last chance saloon for him. But a fit and confident Murphy would be just what we need right now.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:18 pm

[quote="jimmy_rat"]I have no doubt it's last chance saloon for him. But a fit and confident Murphy would be just what we need right now.[/quoteand therein lies the problem/s 1.he isnt fit and 2. he has no confidence, as he hasnt played( mot picked, then injured!).

Cant see preston wanting to keep him tbh, can they also end his loan?if they can, we will be paying his full wage till his contract is up! And will he just sit it out, without any real effort in playing a part? He seems to be the sulky type, so could see him just picking up his wages till end of season!

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:I have no doubt it's last chance saloon for him. But a fit and confident Murphy would be just what we need right now.[/quoteand therein lies the problem/s 1.he isnt fit and 2. he has no confidence, as he hasnt played( mot picked, then injured!).

Cant see preston wanting to keep him tbh, can they also end his loan?if they can, we will be paying his full wage till his contract is up! And will he just sit it out, without any real effort in playing a part? He seems to be the sulky type, so could see him just picking up his wages till end of season!

Then we're going to see how good a man manager SM is? If he's sent back he needs to get fit and get firing!!

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:46 pm

Murphy and whyte will both be back soon! Also i hope we get all the loans we are after!

Re: Updated: Josh Murphy

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:54 pm

Josh Murphy suffers new injury

Murphy suffered an ankle injury in October and hasn’t played since.

Having ramped up his return, Murphy will have been hoping for action in a packed schedule over the coming weeks.

Sadly, that won’t be he happening.

This time it’s a calf injury for Murphy, meaning he faces a number of weeks on the sidelines

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:20 pm

Updated:

05/01/2022

PRESTON FC:

Preston boss Ryan Lowe has confirmed that winger Josh Murphy has suffered an injury setback and will now miss the next few weeks.

North End travel to take on Cardiff City in the FA Cup this weekend, with Murphy unable to play anyway.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:38 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:I have no doubt it's last chance saloon for him. But a fit and confident Murphy would be just what we need right now.

The problem with that is he isn’t fit and it sounds like he won’t be for some time. As for confidence he hasn’t started a game for Preston this season and the longest he has played for is 20 minutes. We need to lumber Preston with him for as long as we legally can.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm

Cant see them calling back a player on high wages that isn't fit .

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:42 pm

Murphy set back updated
https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/pre ... jury-lowe/