Emiliano Sala Court Case Confirmed:

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:33 am

Emiliano Sala court date set for March 1st 2022

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Cardiff City's Court of Arbitration for Sport date for the hearing pertaining to Emiliano Sala has been set for March 1, 2022.

In October 2019, Cardiff were ordered to pay the overdue first €6m (£5.3m) instalment of the €17m total payable over three years, which was initially agreed with the French Ligue 1 club.

However, the Welsh club appealed to CAS against FIFA's ruling, believing Nantes were liable for the damages caused.

The initial CAS hearing was due to be heard in spring 2020, however the Covid-19 pandemic and other setbacks have pushed the hearing back.

Now, though, CAS have confirmed that the hearing will take place on St. David's Day this year.

If Cardiff lose this case it could cost the Welsh club up to £20million including court costs and lawyers.

Chairman Dalman has said that all the money has been put aside.
Attachments
2177EAD6-F831-4726-A78B-23284A6FA3AE.jpeg
2177EAD6-F831-4726-A78B-23284A6FA3AE.jpeg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Emiliano Sala Court Case Confirmed:

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Will love to see the cases being put forward by both sides when it goes to court.

I have a feeling it will be settled out of court for an undisclosed fee.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Emiliano Sala court date set for March 1st 2022

https://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2&t=204226

Cardiff City's Court of Arbitration for Sport date for the hearing pertaining to Emiliano Sala has been set for March 1, 2022.

In October 2019, Cardiff were ordered to pay the overdue first €6m (£5.3m) instalment of the €17m total payable over three years, which was initially agreed with the French Ligue 1 club.

However, the Welsh club appealed to CAS against FIFA's ruling, believing Nantes were liable for the damages caused.

The initial CAS hearing was due to be heard in spring 2020, however the Covid-19 pandemic and other setbacks have pushed the hearing back.

Now, though, CAS have confirmed that the hearing will take place on St. David's Day this year.

If Cardiff lose this case it could cost the Welsh club up to £20million including court costs and lawyers.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if (and it may well be quite a big if) we win the case and pay nothing and / or receive costs if it has a bearing on any purse strings being loosened re transfer funds.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:23 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Emiliano Sala court date set for March 1st 2022

https://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2&t=204226

It will be interesting to see what will happen if (and it may well be quite a big if) we win the case and pay nothing and / or receive costs if it has a bearing on any purse strings being loosened re transfer funds.

I have said as much myself 62r, it's already had an effect on this year's plans imho, £20m is a lot of money, if we have that put aside, and we win the case and pay out nothing, then it could be good news on the budget for any new additions covid has also had a big influence on the state of the club finances too, and more than some give credit for imho.
One way or the other, I'll b glad it will be over, one way or the other! It's out of our hands as fans, but could have a huge impact on the way we go next year I believe, happy ney year to you and yours mate :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Will love to see the cases being put forward by both sides when it goes to court.

No way is that going to happen, we will not budge, (and rightly so), and neither will Nante.
We will win this case :thumbup:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:14 am

Ponty Bluebird wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Will love to see the cases being put forward by both sides when it goes to court.

No way is that going to happen, we will not budge, (and rightly so), and neither will Nante.

We have already lost the case ... This is the appeal to CAS.

I hope we win but unless there is new evidence that Sala was not legally our player or Nantes were fully responsible for his death (they weren't as the recent case decided) then I'm afraid we will lose the appeal.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:

I hope we win but unless there is new evidence that Sala was not legally our player or Nantes were fully responsible for his death (they weren't as the recent case decided) then I'm afraid we will lose the appeal.

With respect, what is the point of the expensive exercise, if the club (City) don't believe they have a case?

Let's be honest here, very few of us (with one or two notable and 'in industry' exceptions) have any real idea what will occur. It's just 'guesstimates' based on what we (often) self-perceive to be the 'likely' outcome

Those with some idea and knowledge of the process and legalities involved, say that this could go either way and that the Bluebirds actually have some valid points that couldn't be considered under the previous adjudications, where there was an element of limitation on what could be accepted into the mix

CAS act in a completely different way, so there is a chance the club (nee Tan) could come away from this a lot better off than had he simply accepted the original ruling

Win the appeal = £19m back in the coffers

Partial win = £m's off the (current) bill

Loss = £19m loss (and al that entails)

The worse of those scenarios (lose completely) would see a strong possibility this club is set back many years in the process, if it hasn't been already

You may (eventually) turn out to be right in your assessment that 'we're stuffed' (polite version) before we start; but that won't be borne from any real knowledge you (or many others others) have in the mechanisms of the case itself and/or the options open to CAS

Nervy times ahead for all involved, supporters included, and I'm going to assume the worse in the hope it won't happen and anything up from there can be seen as a bonus :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:33 am

The City has allowed for completely losing the case in their finances. This has been reported by the club itself.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Bambasbestbuddy22 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:48 am

If we lose this case then we are under a transfer embargo I belive for 2 or 3 transfer windows ??
Bambasbestbuddy22

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:The City has allowed for completely losing the case in their finances. This has been reported by the club itself.

Yes, that has been said; but the current financial restraints don't support that and clearly the difference between loss and/or retention (or part there of) of the monies set aside will have a massive impact on next season's budget and beyond?
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:22 am

Bambasbestbuddy22 wrote:If we lose this case then we are under a transfer embargo I belive for 2 or 3 transfer windows ??

Why? :?

If the monies are 'set aside' and paid (immediately or via instalments) then why should we be further penalised?
Sven

Postby AfricanBluebird » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:29 am

Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:

With respect, what is the point of the expensive exercise, if the club (City) don't believe they have a case?

Let's be honest here, very few of us (with one or two notable and 'in industry' exceptions) have any real idea what will occur. It's just 'guesstimates' based on what we (often) self-perceive to be the 'likely' outcome

Those with some idea and knowledge of the process and legalities involved, say that this could go either way and that the Bluebirds actually have some valid points that couldn't be considered under the previous adjudications, where there was an element of limitation on what could be accepted into the mix

CAS act in a completely different way, so there is a chance the club (nee Tan) could come away from this a lot better off than had he simply accepted the original ruling

The worse of those scenarios (lose completely) would see a strong possibility this club is set back many years in the process, if it hasn't been already

You may (eventually) turn out to be right in your assessment that 'we're stuffed' (polite version) before we start; but that won't be borne from any real knowledge you (or many others others) have in the mechanisms of the case itself and/or the options open to CAS

Nervy times ahead for all involved, supporters included, and I'm going to assume the worse in the hope it won't happen and anything up from there can be seen as a bonus :thumbright:

A few things about it Sven..

Appeals in cases like this are rarely successful, so we need to tapper expectations. However that is not to say we shouldn't be trying.

Also.. an this is speculation.. if we are going to make an insurance claim for the Sala fee, then insurance companies would be demanding that all other liabilities would have been litigated before they would even considering paying out.

Just speculation.. but let's see.

You're right of course.. if we win, then that would positively boost the situation for us ... Lose and we will embark on a whole load of challenging situations.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:47 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:

Appeals in cases like this are rarely successful, so we need to tapper expectations. However that is not to say we shouldn't be trying.

Also.. an this is speculation.. if we are going to make an insurance claim for the Sala fee, then insurance companies would be demanding that all other liabilities would have been litigated before they would even considering paying out.

You're right of course.. if we win, then that would positively boost the situation for us ... Lose and we will embark on a whole load of challenging situations.

Thank you and I see where you are going from, which is why I have defaulted to 'lose' so there are no further surprises in the negative :thumbright:

The insurance situation, so far as I am aware, remains publicly unclear as to whether it was in place or not at the point of the tragedy?

If it is, the small print will be made abundantly clear and once the City have gone down all other routes (this being the final one), I don't see what the City have done to nullify any claim that has or might be made?

Tapering of (some) 'expectations' is much needed; but we are to without some 'hope' either :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby fred keenor » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:39 am

The coroners inquest is next month, perhaps this will have a bearing?
fred keenor

Postby City slicker27 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Regardless of the outcome, the sooner this tragic situation is sorted out, the better.
City slicker27

Postby piledriver64 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:12 pm

Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:

Thank you and I see where you are going from, which is why I have defaulted to 'lose' so there are no further surprises in the negative :thumbright:

The insurance situation, so far as I am aware, remains publicly unclear as to whether it was in place or not at the point of the tragedy?

If it is, the small print will be made abundantly clear and once the City have gone down all other routes (this being the final one), I don't see what the City have done to nullify any claim that has or might be made?

Tapering of (some) 'expectations' is much needed; but we are to without some 'hope' either :ayatollah:

Without sight of the court file and a law degree nobody on here can really make a comment on whether we are likely to win, partially or fully.

However, I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out a settlement even at this late stage.

I’ve believed right from the start that the reason for using all the appeal options could be down to the insurance angle I.e. they won’t pay out until all avenues exhausted.

It will be interesting to see what come out though !
piledriver64

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:56 pm

"Without sight of the court file and a law degree nobody on here can really make a comment on whether we are likely to win, partially or fully.
However, I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out a settlement even at this late stage.
I’ve believed right from the start that the reason for using all the appeal options could be down to the insurance angle I.e. they won’t pay out until all avenues exhausted.
It will be interesting to see what come out though !"

That's what I think as well - Sala was valued at 1million 18 months before the agent involved seemed to hike his price up. So Nante know what his true value was. They'll be happy to get a couple of million from this court case. Neither side wants to back down or at the same face going through more court time.

Which is why if I was a betting man - they will settle before it goes to court. I'm not a lawyer, like everyone else on here. But a settlement will be reached and neither side will say how much.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby wez1927 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 pm

Isn't the appeal on the grounds that the transger contract wasn't fully fulfilled due to the Premier league rejecting the deal ? ,Fifa weren't allowed to rule on the contract case, CAS look into all aspects of the transfer including contracts and details of the deal ?
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby ThomasC » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:50 pm

I have to say it, taking the emotion out of the subject, it's the sadness of it all that stops things getting talked about. Sala would have been far and away the biggest ever signing the club ever made. That fee close to half of Malky's budget the first time we went up! Staggering amount of money involved in the transfer (17m€)
ThomasC

Postby Sven » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Sven wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:

Without sight of the court file and a law degree nobody on here can really make a comment on whether we are likely to win, partially or fully.

It will be interesting to see what come out though !

Some great points in there and makes sense... :clap:

Time will tell... :ayatollah:
Sven

Return to General Chat