Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EFL WRITE TO WAG IN SUPPORT OF WELSH CLUBS

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:23 pm

Football League boss tells Welsh Government ban on fans puts Cardiff City and Swansea City at 'disadvantage' to Championship rivals

The Football League have asked for Cardiff City and Swansea City to be treated the same as English clubs when it comes to crowds

Football League bosses have urged the Welsh Government to rethink their strategy on banning fans from Cardiff City, Swansea City and Newport County games, according to reports.

The League say the Welsh Government stance has put the Bluebirds and Swans at a 'disadvantage' compared to their Championship rivals, with the same applying to Newport in League Two.

A letter outlining the concerns has been sent by EFL chief executive Trevor Birch to Wales' Economy Minister Vaughan Gething, according to the BBC.

Birch, a former Swansea chairman, wants every club to be competing under the same conditions.

While the Welsh trio are banned by First Minister Mark Drakeford from having crowds, their rivals across the Bridge continue to benefit from home support generated at English grounds.

They also have the advantage of much-needed finance being brought through the turnstiles on match day during troubled times for clubs.

The Bluebirds and Swans must stage home FA Cup matches in front of empty stadiums this weekend, with play-off chasing Newport unable to let supporters in for their league clash with Salford.

News of the official letter sent by the EFL may increase the pressure on the Welsh Government to reconsider their stance over the ban on supporters at major events.

For the time being they are standing by their decision, despite talk Wales' rugby team are considering taking their Six Nations home matches over the border to ensure fans can attend.

According to the new EFL reports, Birch is urging the Welsh Government to "consider the easing of the current restrictions for elite sport to pre-Omicron levels".

The First Minister is due to look at the measures again next week.

But even before that, the League are said to be asking the Welsh Government to meet the clubs to hear their concerns and discuss ways to compensate financially.

Birch feels Cardiff and Swansea are losing £400,000 each in matchday in gate receipts and hospitality whilst the ban on fans is in place, with local businesses also being affected.

The Welsh Government want to see coronavirus cases drop before lifting the current restrictions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: EFL WRITE TO WAG IN SUPPORT OF WELSH CLUBS

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:04 pm

Good luck with that one.
I emailed my AM. The Health minister and the leader of the Conservatives at the WAG basically saying the same thing as the EFL.
I got the same rely from all of them.
An automated reply saying their could take up to 14 days to reply.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:16 pm

Like Drakeford will give a flying f**k.

Best chance of getting him to change his mind unfortunately will be pressure from WRU.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm

davids wrote:Like Drakeford will give a flying f**k.

Best chance of getting him to change his mind unfortunately will be pressure from WRU.

And some tickets/hospitality...? :?:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:45 pm

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/01/08 ... 624746.jpg

Here is the image of the Deva Stadium where police have advised the club to put up a big screen so fans can watch the game in the part of the car park in England and not 30 yards away in the stands.

A complete farce.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Sven wrote:

Yes indeed.

Perhaps the club can offer him a free ticket in the Canton if he ever lets fans back in the ground.

I'm sure he'd be made very welcome.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:15 pm

davids wrote:
Sven wrote:

Yes indeed.

Perhaps the club can offer him a free ticket in the Canton if he ever lets fans back in the ground.

I'm sure he'd be made very welcome.

Can you imagine...? :laughing6:

I remember watching a debate over Brexit where Corbyn was trying to make a point and fell on his backside...

Corbyn: "I recently went to Brussels to discuss the Labour Party's stance on Brexit and do you know what hey said to me...?"

Resonds some quick-witted Tory backbencher: "Who are you...?"

Classic put down of someone thinking he is more important than he actually was! :lol:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:40 am

Sven wrote:

;)