Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ New Winger at Cardiff City ‘

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:15 pm

Ollie Tanner is now on trial at Cardiff City

Monday 25th April 2022

Lewis Fc of Isthmian Premier Division club / Winger Ollie Tanner aged 19.

Tanner was told his chances of ever making it at Spurs were like a dream and better to wait for another club.

Lewes manager Tony Russell has explained Ollie Tanner’s decision to snub a move to Tottenham was not because of old tweets about Harry Kane or pledging his allegiance to Arsenal.

The Athletic revealed Tottenham were on the verge of agreeing on a deal with the Isthmian League Premier Division club to sign Tanner towards the end of the January transfer window.

Tanner would of gone in to Spurs under 23 squad.

However, it was later revealed that Spurs failed to agree personal terms with the 19-year-old (Sky Sports), ultimately confirming his immediate future would lie with Lewes.

This came after old tweets emerged of Tanner mocking Spurs star Harry Kane, while also showing his support to rivals Arsenal (Daily Mail).

Lewes boss Russell has since rubbished any ideas that either of these things had an influence on Tanner’s decision, claiming it was purely down to first-team football opportunities.

Russell told the Sussex Express:

“Ollie is a great lad and a great player. He is also very level-headed and that’s really why he has decided against this move.

“Brighton and Spurs both made bids for Ollie and while Brighton’s was silly, one from Spurs was accepted by the club. They, therefore, had permission to speak to him.

“I went with him to watch a Spurs Under-23 game and I think it made him think about what his career path would be if he went there.

“What he’s ended up deciding is that going straight from step three of non-league to a Premier League club would be a step too far.

“In some ways, it could be seen as a dream move but think about it: What would be his chances of getting in their first-team?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ New Winger at Cardiff City ‘

Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:28 pm

Cardiff were linked with Tanner at the back end of the January transfer window, but so, too, were Southampton, Luton, Watford, Brighton and, most notably Spurs.

Cardiff have now handed Tanner a trial until the end of the season.

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff were linked with Tanner at the back end of the January transfer window, but so, too, were Southampton, Luton, Watford, Brighton and, most notably Spurs.

Put him straight in first team squad. Nothing to lose.

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:11 pm

I know a lot of players look good via you tube postings but this is the tyoe of player I love to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJJmhC ... FootballHD

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:17 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff were linked with Tanner at the back end of the January transfer window, but so, too, were Southampton, Luton, Watford, Brighton and, most notably Spurs.

I agree, let’s see him.

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:29 pm

I’m sure we can coach all that skill and class out of him and get him hitting long balls within a few months, can’t stand all this tippy tippy stuff.

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:46 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Would be peak Cardiff city if we did that. Squad registration rules, we’d get a points deduction

Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:01 pm

I can’t see this youngster being good enough for the City

Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:01 pm

He looks like Jack Grealish :lol:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:40 pm

M4 Exile wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Would be peak Cardiff city if we did that. Squad registration rules, we’d get a points deduction

Ahh right. :thumbup:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:11 pm

Looks half decent.

Got a nice few tricks up his sleeve and runs at defenders.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:10 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:I can’t see this youngster being good enough for the City

That’s the spirit!

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:51 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:I can’t see this youngster being good enough for the City

This is the third post from you on various strands where you have said a prospective signing is unlikely to be good enough :roll:

Are you part of the recruitment team or just a numpty who wouldn't be happy with any prospective signing unless he's from the Premiership and we're paying £10m for them, like Josh Murphy, etc. :roll:

So if you're so sure about this prospect, who was initially offered a contract with Spurs in January, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to why or are you a Jack in disguise merely looking to cause trouble ?