Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Uganda want Uche Ikpeazu to pledge his allegiance to the

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:21 pm

Uganda want Uche Ikpeazu to pledge his allegiance to the country but the Cardiff City striker has requested more time.

Uganda coach Micho Sredojevic has revealed he wants the 27-year-old to make a decision on his international future and has made contact with him regarding his next steps.

“I’m telling you I have tried my best to convince him, including speaking to his mother when she has come here to help us talk to the boy but all has failed,” Sredojevic told the Daily Monitor. “I will approach him again. I will never give up on something that could be of our national interest.

"He is on loan, he can’t consolidate his place as coaches don’t see his top class more often. Uganda is his medicine to get total confidence. Once he serves Uganda well and gets more confidence, more doors to better clubs open.

“I hope he will find a place and logic in his heart and soul, and understanding in his mind that Uganda is his biggest chance, and equally that he is Uganda’s biggest chance. It’s win-win situation.”

Ikpeazu, who qualifies for both England and Uganda, told the same publication: “I spoke to coach Micho and I told him to give me some time. I’m focusing on club football for now. I haven’t made a decision yet on my international football.”

On his situation at Cardiff, where he has scored three times in 13 appearances, he added: “So far I’ve done well... I’ve scored a few goals.”

Ikpeazu was called up to the Uganda squad by then coach Johnathan McKinstry for two 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualification matches in March 2020, but the games were postponed due to Covid-19.

Re: Uganda want Uche Ikpeazu to pledge his allegiance to the

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:25 pm

He has zero chance of being called up by England so it's Uganda or nothing as far as international football goes.