Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Foundations? '

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:42 pm

The Middlesborough game highlighted some of our weaknesses (including a decent mobile striker and some width upfront.
AND
We all know that a huge rebuild is going to take place next year, that is for sure. There will be little money abailable to do it. BUT…..
Do we have, say, 4 existing players that we can build a decent team around???

If so, can yo name them???shock: :?: :!: :bluebird: ???

Re: ' Foundations? '

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:50 pm

People keep saying a rebuild, which will of course happen.

Most rebuilds, rebuild stronger. We seem to be going one way, meaning we'll replace a house of stone with a house of sand.

Thats not a rebuild, its slowly dismantling under the name of new, fresh rebuild.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:09 pm

Lengee wrote:The Middlesborough game highlighted some of our weaknesses (including a decent mobile striker and some width upfront.
AND
We all know that a huge rebuild is going to take place next year, that is for sure. There will be little money abailable to do it. BUT…..

Wintle, Nelson, NG, Denham.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:10 pm

I can honestly say that if all the loanees returned to their clubs and none of the out of contract players were given a new contract then with the possible exception of Colwill (and the jury is still out on him for me) I wouldn't care if every other player in the squad was replaced.

Don't think Morison is the man I'd trust to replace them all though.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Lengee wrote:The Middlesborough game highlighted some of our weaknesses (including a decent mobile striker and some width upfront.
AND

I thought NG and Denham both had absolute nightmares tonight.

Both were incapable of passing to a blue shirt and both were shocking when Boro players were running at them.

Hope Denham comes good but so far I just can't see what all the fuss is about - looks very poor to me.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 pm

davids wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
AND

Both were incapable of passing to a blue shirt and both were shocking when Boro players were running at them.

Hope Denham comes good but so far I just can't see what all the fuss is about - looks very poor to me.

Not great tonight I agree but I was answering g the question’Do we have 4 players that we can build a decent team around?’
I’ll add Colwill to my 4 but he dies drift in and out of games.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:16 pm

It's clear our foundations need underpinning.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:22 pm

I've not been impressed with the Youth that has come through. If we are going to build around them then we will go down next season.

As for the seniors I'm struggling to see who we should keep.

Its going to be one difficult job this summer and if we get it wrong we will go down.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:14 pm

Big rebuild next season :bluebird:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:17 pm

davids wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
AND

I agree about NG, couldn't pass piss tonight but the youngsters looked tired tonight and thats a good argument for not having too many in the team at once. Even Doyal was caught out of position once or twice but its not right expecting youngsters to carry the team. The man has a huge rebuild on his hands, even bigger than Mackay had when he joined and it can't come soon enough for me.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:53 am

AND

NG, McGuiness, Wintle, Colwill, would be the 4 for me but I would say that Nelson has also looked very good in a back four when we've played it.

Jury out on Isaak Davies, Denham, etc.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:17 pm

Thanks for your comments on the “ foundation 4”. I rhought maybe pick 4 as logic says we won’t be replacing all 11!?!
We all have a few names in common.
Here are mine
Nelson
Ng
Wintle :bluebird:
Davies
1/ For me we need to be solid at the back. I think we can go with Nelson at the back. He needs a bigger central partner with him. That could be Mc Guiness, but I am not sure. Both Morrison and Flint are past their best, so its thanks to them for their efforts but now look to the future.
2/Ng in his correct full back position.
3/ Wintle as a solid base in midfield, perhaps with Vaulks alongside (?) or Ralls (?)
We will then desperately need acreative midfielder or 2.
4/ In attack, I’d say Isaac Davies as aplayer with pace and some ability/ creativity. I believethat we have seen wnough from him to be afoundation for the future.
I appreciate that many will disagree. Obviously, I would want to keep Colwill as an excellent technical player who lacks a yard of pace. Also Rubin needs to show more consistancy and effort to be in the “foundation 4”.
Also Dillon Phillips has done pretty well since coming in, but it is too early to know whether he is good enough
:thumbup: