Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

With our run of results.....

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 pm

Is Morison moving into 'sackable territory'?

He has avoided the drop which seemed inconceivable at Christmas. For that he should be appluaded, but having had half a season to make his mark, he appears to have the same issues as NH and MM.

We saw a bright young manager with fresh ideas, but he does not have a specific style which is clearly a Morison style. He has not brought a new age, vibrant approach, new technique or ideas, or a new style.

He is simply looks a steward, a custodian, looking after whats there.

We are desperate for an input of enthusiasm, energy and financial assistance because our club is only going one way at the moment.

Re: With our run of results.....

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:52 pm

SM talks about next season, well is he the manager for the huge rebuild needed. This is probably a huge chance for change and we have an inexperienced manager , coach and team entrusted to complete on a shoe string.

We shall see after 6 games next season what we have built, my worry is we will be in the exact same position as this season.
Hard to see us moving forwards without the huge influx of quality needed to compete at championship level

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:56 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Is Morison moving into 'sackable territory'?

He has avoided the drop which seemed inconceivable at Christmas. For that he should be appluaded, but having had half a season to make his mark, he appears to have the same issues as NH and MM.

We saw a bright young manager with fresh ideas, but he does not have a specific style which is clearly a Morison style. He has not brought a new age, vibrant approach, new technique or ideas, or a new style.

We are desperate for an input of enthusiasm, energy and financial assistance because our club is only going one way at the moment.

It starts at the very top, from Vincent Tan right down to the tea lady. Our club is rotten to the core, and at this current rate of decline, ld give Morison until October to actually improve things on the field. I’m not holding my breath on that one either!

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:00 pm

Jonny,

All I will say is, I am really really worried about next season and our future :cry: :cry:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:08 pm

He definitely doesn't help himself with the way he deals with the media. Claiming good performances when we were mediocre, digging out young players, downplaying derby games and failing to take responsibility for bad performances. I unfortunately think he is making himself a divisive figure amongst fans and if recruitment isn't right fans will let him know. However he has proven he can recruit well, time will tell.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Is Morison moving into 'sackable territory'?

I think the trouble we have is that many are out of contract soon and have second guessed that they won’t be here next season. There are also a few that are t good enough and a few that are. Hopefully all of the dross will be gone in June.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:14 pm

Can’t really blame Morison when half our squad are about to be let go and we have nothing to play for on top of that

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:26 am

M4 Exile wrote:Can’t really blame Morison when half our squad are about to be let go and we have nothing to play for on top of that

Players have their own futures to play for so you'd think they'd go out of their way to impress any potential future employers.
A good performance could mean the difference between a new contract with a Championship club, or a big drop in wages and playing lower down the leagues.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:38 am

Also the opposition lately have had the play offs to aim for. That's going to give them and their fans the extra bite (let alone their position saying how much better they are than us). Even us as fans have been a bit damp lately. It's natural. There's nothing to play for left for us.

Definitely positives in our style it's the application by the players that's severely lacking. Square pegs round holes, etc. Desperately need the summer and a personnel shake up.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:28 am

I think we, and the club, just have to hold our nerve.

I, like many others on here, said that when he was appointed permanently we had to give him time and that the big summer clear out will either be the making or end of Morison depending on how we recruit and where we stand by the end of October.

We are safe.

Therefore, whether we like it or not, the results really don't matter. He's trying out 4-4-2 like many people wanted, last night he's given Phillips, Denham, Colwill and Watters chances to prove themselves.

If that game mattered last night would he have switched from 5 at the back ? Would he have had Flint on the bench ? Would he have switched Ng to left back ? Would have played Watters ? Would he have had Smithies out of the squad ? The answer to all those questions is absolutely not.

What he learnt from last night was that Watters doesn't look like he'll make it as a Championship striker, Denham looks like he will be a very good Championship centre half, Ng is a centre back or RB not a left back, Colwill doesn't fit in a 4 man midfield and 4-4-2 can work with the right players but we'll need more wide players if we are going to play it.

We have to hold our nerve unless we just want to lurch from one failing manager to another. Those now deciding that Morison isn't the answer need to have a look back at their posts when he was appointed. I would say 90% were in favour and most of those accepted that this change in style, culture and players was necessary and would take time. One, very successful, transfer window isn't enough to make these huge changes.

I keep hearing Nathan Jones being mentioned as a replacement. Firstly, he plays old fashioned football based on the Warnock approach which we know is time limited at this level and secondly, he'd never leave Luton after the season they've just had not least because he knows how his previous move to Stoke panned out.

I will still back Morison, however, what I would say is that this coming window is huge and he will be under massive pressure if things don't go well at the start of the season. I just hope that, whatever happens, we don't return the the short term appointments of Warnock, McCarthy, etc. We need a sustained period of change not a sticking plaster appointment that will allow us to flirt with the play-offs but, ultimately, fail to safeguard long-term progression ............... AGAIN !!

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel quite strongly about this one as you might have noticed :roll: :lol: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:04 am

Some good points by piledriver.

If the bad run had come when we were still in relegation territory then possibly but this is a strange period with the lack of points not affecting our league status.

Don’t forget he was manager of the month in March, which although praiseworthy was a curious decision.

The acid test will be what squad lines up for the pre season, and then there’s the August window.

If he persists with players whom clearly do not possess sufficient basic skills and pace, a big keeper and no proven goal scorers or wingers (and adequate cover) then I fear another disappointing season.

Personally it was refreshing to see City try to pass it from the back through midfield last night but bar a few occasions when Colwill created openings, the passing movements broke down due to a poor pass (invariably Vaulks, Ng and Nelson). The lack of basic skills is excruciating to watch.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:07 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.