Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison: "Two Deals done on New Players"

Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:11 am

Cardiff City's Steve Morison reveals Zoom calls with targets as deal all sorted

The Cardiff boss has met with several players over Zoom recently to discuss possible moves

By Tom Coleman Sports Writer

Friday 29th April 2022

Steve Morison has suggested that his side are closing in on a transfer breakthrough ahead of the summer window - and says he hopes to have players through the door before they return for pre-season training.

STEVE MORISON:

"I keep drumming on about next year but that’s the reality of where we are," he said. "That’s what I have to do when we lose a game. Yes we’ve lost a few in a row now, but I just take myself away and realise that we’ve got somewhere to go.

"I was doing Zooms with potential new players yesterday and showing them where to go. What we’re doing, what we’re trying to do. That just keeps me excited and keeps me looking forward."

The likes of Jak Alnwick, Josh Laurent, Andy Zeriqi and defender Aji Alese are among those believed to be on the radar, but Cardiff are looking further afield too. Indeed, the Cardiff boss says two players he's spoken to are currently plying overseas.

STEVE MORISON:

"Both are playing abroad at the minute and fit the bill of what we want. I didn’t show them anything they couldn’t do.

"Our players are doing it now and they’re doing it at their clubs. It was me just laying it down to them about what I expect from them when they walk through the door if they decide to join us.

"I tell them, 'I haven’t just plucked you out of the air. There’s a reason because you fit the physical profile and technical profile of what we want', and then sell them the club and project.

"I said it to a player yesterday, ‘You're one of one Zoom I’ve done. You’re not one of ten in your position. You’re the target. This is why we want you. Hopefully all is good and you come and join us’. Then I take his questions, family questions, agent questions. Then we go from there. That’s the process. Hopefully it pays off."

Morison is clearly hopeful of some early breakthroughs in the summer, and would clearly like a few new faces in place in time for pre-season training later next month as he bids to fully make his mark on this team.

"We do the Zoom because we’ve agreed the other stuff," he continued. "It’s just that person committing. The finances are done. There’s no point having a Zoom with you if we’re going to have to keep negotiating. The Zoom’s the final bit. Find out what they want. Find out if it’s feasible. If it’s not feasible then there’s no point wasting our time having the conversation. If it gets this far, it means we’re getting closer. You like to have agreements.

"Hopefully the old gentleman’s agreement is in place. Once we can officially sign it, we do, subject to medicals etc. There’s a lot going into it. If I can, we’ve had a couple come in here in person. It’s not all talk just before we’ve lost a couple of games. If I had my laptop you’d know.

"We know what market we’re in. The players won’t have clubs either so there will be no reason as of June 22 that these people won’t be in the building. It won’t be everybody, but it will be as many as we can physically do."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steve Morison: "Two Deals done on New Players"

Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:54 am

Is Dundee considered 'abroad'? :thumbup:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:03 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Is Dundee considered 'abroad'? :thumbup:

Depends if you’re asking Nicola Sturgeon or not

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:04 am

Give SM his due for all his negs and he has a fair few he seems switched on and quick at attracting players hr wants, hopefully these boys are up to the challenge

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:15 am

a bit misleading the headline, no one has signed. he said things they have made agreements but nothing yet signed. the amount of times players have said yes to us, and then sign elsewhere,

Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Large Arge wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Is Dundee considered 'abroad'? :thumbup:

Depends if you’re asking Nicola Sturgeon or not

:thumbup: :occasion5:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:13 pm

bluebird04 wrote:a bit misleading the headline, no one has signed. he said things they have made agreements but nothing yet signed. the amount of times players have said yes to us, and then sign elsewhere,

Hard to decipher what as actually happened but after reading more on this story elsewhere..... it appears financial deals had been completed before he held zoom calls to the players so it's now upto players if want to sign for us. :occasion5:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:a bit misleading the headline, no one has signed. he said things they have made agreements but nothing yet signed. the amount of times players have said yes to us, and then sign elsewhere,

Hard to decipher what as actually happened but after reading more on this story elsewhere..... it appears financial deals had been completed before he held zoom calls to the players so it's now upto players if want to sign for us. :occasion5:

Have to be honest, IMO the finance bit is usually the biggest hurdle so fingers crossed.

Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Have to be honest, IMO the finance bit is usually the biggest hurdle so fingers crossed.

Besides biggest its usually the longest to sort out... so must assume agent agreed the package before players were spoken to on zoom.. but as part of interview he hadn't spoken to agent or it's been misrepresented... let's hope its done to give confidence that we can get the other players on the wanted list of his.

Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 pm

Ethan ampadu;)

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:15 pm

lockey1927 wrote:Ethan ampadu;)

On loan from Chelsea to Venezia at the moment .

Sun May 01, 2022 11:02 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:

Welsh player playing abroad

Sun May 01, 2022 11:30 am

lockey1927 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

Welsh player playing abroad

Surely not within our budget ?

Would be a massive signing though but would really upset those who love giving the current manager and regime a kicking !!!!!

Can’t see this one happening but never say never !!

Sun May 01, 2022 11:45 am

Would love that but can't see it mind you he isn't on that big wages

Sun May 01, 2022 11:47 am

390k a year hmmmmm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 01, 2022 12:44 pm

wez1927 wrote:390k a year hmmmmm

Surely that can’t be right ?

That’s only £7.5k a week or have I got my maths wrk g !!??

Ralls is on 3x that and I know who I’d rather in our midfield and it ain’t Ralls !!!!!

Sun May 01, 2022 4:08 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:390k a year hmmmmm

Surely that can’t be right ?

That’s only £7.5k a week or have I got my maths wrk g !!??

Ralls is on 3x that and I know who I’d rather in our midfield and it ain’t Ralls !!!!!

Remember he's on the same contract on when he signed for them from Exeter. They don't give much more 390k a year to non 1st teamers

Sun May 01, 2022 4:30 pm

Ethan Ampadu :lol: :lol: :lol: C'mon guys its a bit early for bank holiday beers

We don't know who will own Chelsea, who will be the manager, what Chelsea's plan are for him. Romans unlimited billions will be gone soon, they may need to cash in to get a war chest. He is 22 in September and i reckon they could get £10 ~ 15 million for him.
I doubt Chelsea know what their plans are for the fringe players. I doubt SM will make decision about our fringe lads until after the full preseason.

SM can only be talking about players whose contract runs out May 31st