Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Oliver Denham insists Steve Morison can guide Cardiff City

Mon May 02, 2022 9:39 am

Oliver Denham insists Steve Morison can guide Cardiff City to the top six next season, and says his own background at Manchester United has helped him hit the ground running in the Championship.

By Glen Williams ( Junior Reporter )

The youngster has made a hugely positive impression in the capital since an assured first senior start at Anfield in the FA Cup back in February. He has since gone on to make four Championship starts, including the final home game of the season against Birmingham City on Saturday.

The Bluebirds are facing a summer of mass upheaval, with 10 players out of contract and five loanees set to return to parent clubs. Morison has already suggested that he's already more or less agreed the details around a couple of incomings. You can read his full update following the draw with the Blues here.

However, despite all the expected new arrivals, Denham is clearly hopeful of continuing his progress, under a manager he's worked with closely since under-23s level. Speaking after Saturday's draw, he said: "I know what he [Morison] wants from me and what I need to give him to impress him. That relationship has definitely helped me.

"It will be interesting to see who he brings in and how we go about challenging to try and get promotion. It’s exciting to see what happens. We have tried to implement a new style of play, trying to play out from the back and then creating chances. You can definitely the changes he is trying to bring in."

While he's arguably the latest of several promising youngster to come through the ranks, Denham actually started out at Manchester United, before moving to south Wales in 2020. And he clearly believes that his early education at Old Trafford has helped him quickly adapt to the rigours of senior football.

"My background at Manchester United has definitely helped me with that part of the game. Coming here now, and playing men’s football, is now helping me develop the other side of my game. It’s all coming together."

Cardiff boss Morison has promised there will be cause for excitement in the upcoming transfer window, and Denham similarly believes there's plenty of cause for optimism. "I definitely feel we can push for the play-offs and promotion next season," the 19-year-old continued. "We have got the players to do that and I’m sure whoever he brings in can add to that and help us got there."

Re: Oliver Denham insists Steve Morison can guide Cardiff Ci

Mon May 02, 2022 2:29 pm

Good player, another positive from this season :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Re: Oliver Denham insists Steve Morison can guide Cardiff Ci

Mon May 02, 2022 6:14 pm

Steve Morison Gives It To You Straight, Says Cardiff City Youngster Oli Denham . . . And That’s Fine
By David Williams

Cardiff City youngster Oli Denham believes the club are heading in the right direction under straight-talking Steve Morison.

Denham is one of a number of youngsters given his opportunity under manager Morison in recent weeks as the Bluebirds boss prepares for a massive summer clear-out.

The changes have lately been at the cost of results with Cardiff in danger of ending the season without a win in six games unless they can gain victory in their final Championship fixture at Derby County on Saturday.

Those setbacks have usually been accompanied by a blunt assessment of his own players’ shortcomings from Morison, who is six months into his first senior managerial position.

But Denham – who joined after a youth team spell at Manchester United – insists Morison’s messages are well received and believes this seasons’ strugglers can even become play-off contenders next season.

He is straight to the point and he will tell you what he thinks,” says the 19-year-old defender.

You know what he wants because he will say it. That’s good. There’s no mystery to it. You know that if you do what he wants, he’ll be happy with you.”

“It will be interesting to see who he brings in and how we go about challenging to try and get promotion. It’s exciting to see what happens.

“We have tried to implement a new style of play, trying to play out from the back and then creating chances. You can definitely the changes he is trying to bring in.

“I definitely feel we can push for the play-offs and promotion next season.

“We have got the players to do that and I’m sure whoever he brings in can add to that and help us get there.”

Next season, he could well be competing for a regular starting position in the back four and believes that his development at Old Trafford means he is comfortable with a more possession-based game plan Morison is trying to employ.

“My background at Manchester United has definitely helped me with that part of the game.

“Coming here now, and playing men’s football, is now helping me develop the other side of my game. It’s all coming together.

“I want to show what I can do and hopefully show the manager enough for him to keep me around here next season.”