Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City are indeed exploring the possibility of signing

Wed May 04, 2022 5:41 pm

Cardiff City are indeed exploring the possibility of signing Mahlon Romeo this summer, as has been reported elsewhere in recent weeks.

The right-back, 27 this year, has been on loan at Portsmouth in League1 from Millwall this season and Millwall look like they want rid of him this summer. The player does, though, have two years left on his current deal.

However, a situation could transpire in which the Lions would allow him to leave and pay up his contract, should it be agreeable to all parties.

It's clear he doesn't fit into Gary Rowett's vision of where he sees Millwall moving forward, with the manager stating recently that he is open to allowing the player to go in the upcoming window.

He told the South London Press: “I’ve heard other managers talk about our player, which is understandable. The expectation is that I think we’re open to offers in the summer, which is why Mahlon left us to go to Portsmouth. He wanted to play regular football.

“I’m pretty sure he will want to do the same again next season, ideally for him at a higher level. We’ll see what happens. He is our player until we get an agreement or an opportunity that fits everybody then that’s what it is really.”

Steve Morison will certainly know the right-back well, having spent four years playing with him at Millwall. Cardiff need to bolster in that area, with loan player Cody Drameh heading back to Leeds United and Perry Ng having proven himself to be a good option at centre-back.

Given Jai Semenyo aged 19 appears not quite ready for Championship football just yet, the right-hand side of defence will be an area in which Cardiff will likely actively recruit this summer.

Romeo has more than 260 senior appearances to his name, 148 of which have been in the Championship, and Cardiff will be keen to add players with that sort of experience to their ranks. At 26, he also fills an age gap that Morison has previously spoken about in terms of player recruitment.