Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW FROM SONEONE WHO WAS THERE, DERBY 0 CARDIFF 1

Sat May 07, 2022 3:34 pm

The walk to the ground was packed with Derby fans wanting to see their last game in the championship. You had the feeling is going to be a short stay out of the league. Considering there were 1,700 Cardiff fans making the journey I hardly saw any of them as I made my way to the ground from the railway station. Once in the stadium, about 40 minutes before KO there still were very few but then they turned up and were in great voice all the way through the match.

We were given the corner of the ground and we packed the back out with only a few seats left next to the Derby faithful. Considering Derby were already down their faithful hardcore to our left were in great voice and they made the best of their last game in the Championship. the banter was some of the best I have heard and although we had the upper hand with the songs Derby answered us very well. "Going up Going down" with the arm motions was well executed by us with Derby responding with "Jump if you are going down" supported by them umping up and down.

The game started with us attacking the goal in front of us. The opening saw Derby attack the right side as we looked and their winger was giving Bagan a difficult time. It was obviously our weak link as they attacked that side time and time again. Fortunately nothing came of those attacks.

We relied on the break down the left side as we looked. it was half way through the half our real chance came when Hugil went down trying to get on an end of a cross from the left. it look like he was brought down but to be fair he was well of the pace and it would have been harsh on Derby to give us the penalty.

As the game went on we seemed to allow Derby to collect the ball in the middle of the park without pressing them. This made Derby play through the middle which created them a couple of chances out side our box. Each chance was a long shot that forced Phillips to make a save. Just before half time Derby hit the outside of the post but I don't think any of us saw it from where we were.

The second half started like a flat tyre. For 5 minutes both sets of fans were well just as flat as a flat tyre. Eventually the paced picked up and most of the play was happening in front of us down the right side as we watched. Derby made the going but created nothing. when we managed to clear it Derby were picking everything up and coming back at us. Thing was they did not look like they had anything in them to trouble us. If we kept our heads it was obvious we were going to have a clean sheet.

For me I just waited for that chance for us to take the lead. That is how it felt and sure enough that is what happened. We managed to make a break up the right as we looked and got the ball in their area. Eli King picked the ball up and managed to beat their defender. It looked like it was him against their keeper. We begged for him to shoot but he passed it to Hugil you looked like he had an open goal. Next thing the ball was in the net and we went wild.

So 35 minutes to go and we have the lead. A very rare occasion this season. For the next 30 minutes Derby huffed and puffed but got nowhere. We look dangerous on the break but lagged that killing punch. Banter between the fans was at its high with us having the edge. land of my Fathers was a lot better than God Save the Queen. Its the first time I've heard the English boo our Anthem. Perhaps we were getting the better of them. Overall considering the season they have had the Derby fans have been a credit to their club.

The last 5 minutes saw Derby throw the kitchen at us. Desperate defending by us in our box gave Derby a few chances to equalise. Most of their efforts went over the bar but the best for us was a scissor kick that nearly hit the corner flag. However, their last chance is the dying second saw a snap shot that look like is was going to creep into the net via the inside of the right post as we look at it. Phillips managed to get down to it and stop the ball with his outstretched arm. He was my MOTM before then but that sealed it for him.

Soon after the ref blew the whistle to the delight of us Cardiff fans. This was not before we saw some of the players dropping to the floor with either cramp or exhaustion. Both teams but the effort in just like their fans. Great game to be at it was.