Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Alan Durban

Sat May 07, 2022 8:58 pm

Good to see our former manager on the pitch at half time today even if he did look a little unsteady on his feet.

Has the dubious honour of being the worst manager I have had the misfortune of seeing in 50 years of supporting Cardiff and there have been some strong contenders for that title during those years with perhaps the closest challenger being the manager we had at the start of this season.

Still - football is only a game after all and best wishes go to a former Bluebird!

:bluebird:

Re: Alan Durban

Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 pm

Yes not too good but we have seen some stinkers down the City, Eh, what about Phil Neal and Russell Osman ?

At least Durban Was a Welshman.

Sat May 07, 2022 9:25 pm

powysblue wrote:Yes not too good but we have seen some stinkers down the City, Eh, what about Phil Neal and Russell Osman ?

There have been a few as you say but none that have taken us down two divisions in two seasons - Welshman or not.

Sat May 07, 2022 9:59 pm

davids wrote:
powysblue wrote:Yes not too good but we have seen some stinkers down the City, Eh, what about Phil Neal and Russell Osman ?

There have been a few as you say but none that have taken us down two divisions in two seasons - Welshman or not.

Yes they were awful years. The only ones when I thought twice about my continued support.

Sun May 08, 2022 5:48 am

Durban for me personally was our worst manager of all time.

Sun May 08, 2022 8:52 am

Which is a shame as he came with good pedigree having had excellent reigns at both Shrewsbury and Hereford (?).

I remember at the time being very excited by this forward thinking appointment. How wrong I was.....

Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 am

I was expecting a cresendo of boos from us when his name was announced.

Perhaps not many of us in the crowd knew him, a dying breed.

Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I was expecting a cresendo of boos from us when his name was announced.

Perhaps not many of us in the crowd knew him, a dying breed.

Steady on Ian, we may be creaking a bit but we're not on zimmer frames yet! :old: :D :bluebird:

Sun May 08, 2022 3:26 pm

Grim times indeed, he is my personal’Freddie Kruger’ still having nightmares :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sun May 08, 2022 8:15 pm

Alan Durban is from my hometown of port talbot he came from the Margam area of the town as far as I’m concerned he still one of our he was great player first for Cardiff city and then for derby county winning a first division title yes it didn’t go well for him at Cardiff as manger but at the end of the day he’s still a bluebird and a football legend in my eyes we the port talbot bluebirds where gutted how is time panned out at city yes we are a little bit bias towards him as he from our town but so would anybody be not the best manager but a great footballer player

Sun May 08, 2022 8:51 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Alan Durban is from my hometown of port talbot he came from the Margam area of the town as far as I’m concerned he still one of our he was great player first for Cardiff city and then for derby county winning a first division title yes it didn’t go well for him at Cardiff as manger but at the end of the day he’s still a bluebird and a football legend in my eyes we the port talbot bluebirds where gutted how is time panned out at city yes we are a little bit bias towards him as he from our town but so would anybody be not the best manager but a great footballer player

Can’t blame the bias mate but it really was a dire time following city when he was in charge.

Mon May 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Which is a shame as he came with good pedigree having had excellent reigns at both Shrewsbury and Hereford (?).

I remember at the time being very excited by this forward thinking appointment. How wrong I was.....

He made his reputation at Stoke. I recall him responding to being criticized by the London media after a dour 0-0 draw at Highbury with the infamous quote "if you want to be entertained go to the circus". Just about summed up his style of management

Mon May 09, 2022 3:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Durban for me personally was our worst manager of all time.

Cant disagree with that. We were dire. Leeds still couldn't beat us though! I think we beat them 2-0 under Durban when they were top and we were in the relegation zone.

Mon May 09, 2022 6:43 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:Alan Durban is from my hometown of port talbot he came from the Margam area of the town as far as I’m concerned he still one of our he was great player first for Cardiff city and then for derby county winning a first division title yes it didn’t go well for him at Cardiff as manger but at the end of the day he’s still a bluebird and a football legend in my eyes we the port talbot bluebirds where gutted how is time panned out at city yes we are a little bit bias towards him as he from our town but so would anybody be not the best manager but a great footballer player

Can’t blame the bias mate but it really was a dire time following city when he was in charge.

Don’t disagree with you there it was a bad time