Steve Morison: “I want to change”

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 11, 2022 5:32 am

Morison: I want to change the narrative of Cardiff City

Steve Morison insists he wants to "change the narrative" around what a Cardiff City side looks like with his transfer business this summer. The Bluebirds are set for a major squad overhaul and could sign as many as 15 players in the off-season. Some of that business has already been done, according to the manager.

STEVE MORISON:

"We have done lots of good work, got lots of stuff over the line already," he told the latest episode of the BBC's EJFOF. "Just got to wait until the time we are allowed to release stuff. Once all registered and signed, the season's over, the window opens. Everyone here knows if they are getting a contract or not.

"We are all clear and concise about what we want to do and hopefully we get it all done."

What that means, Morison says, is building a squad which can be adaptable and moulded to suit different styles and, importantly, not require more upheaval if a different manager is employed further down the line.

He added: "We will try and do as many permanent transfers as we can, the majority will be free transfers. We will use the loan market to add those bits to it if we need it, because you can handpick that a bit more from what you can't get, free transfer-wise.

"I don't see this as me going and picking the team I want. This is me working in collaboration with the club into the way we want this football club to go; more sustainable, attractive, a place where people want to come and play football.

"We don't want to get bogged down with the same old narrative every week of 'Oh they are just a physical team' and it's just the same every single week. It's a collaborative approach from the top down. We need to give the academy a platform to be able to bring players through because we are playing in a way that allows the players to come through.

"The recruitment team and the analysis they are putting into players so that within a playing style we are creating, we can go and pick players based on what the club are trying to do. We need to get away from, 'Well they are the 10 players I like, I'll go and pick them.' When that manager leaves, the next manager comes in and they are left with all that again. It's just that continuous cycle of the next manager coming in, gets judged on a group of players who are not his or not fit for purpose for what he wants to do.

"So if you have a group of players that are fit for purpose and can do lots of different things. If it's me, hopefully for years, or someone else comes in further down the line, they can look at it and go, 'I can work with that, I can do what I want'. Also, the club going forward will bring people in to manage the club that are going to carry on the process and not come in and rip it all up. We have to have a club approach rather than a manager approach to it."
Attachments
D8AA9AB1-95CE-4F32-BF8F-10C8AD16D9F1.jpeg
D8AA9AB1-95CE-4F32-BF8F-10C8AD16D9F1.jpeg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Steve Morison: “I want to change”

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 am

Well time will tell if we get it right this time.

I'm getting the impression we are about to bring in lower league players. Risky if this is the case. Just going to have to wait and see.
Bakedalasker

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 11, 2022 7:27 am

Well, that's the way to do it.

I'm sick to death of having these massive upheavals every few years, with talks of "clearing the books", "taking off the high earners and deadwood" etc. The sole focus becomes saving money and finding pros that will just "do the job" with absolutely no foresight into style or sell on the value of players.

Let's hope SM (and the club) can pull it off :occasion5: :bluescarf:
nubbsy

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 11, 2022 7:37 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Well time will tell if we get it right this time.

I'm getting the impression we are about to bring in lower league players. Risky if this is the case. Just going to have to wait and see.

I haven't seen the free agents list this year (guess it's not out yet?) but I wouldn't mind betting there are a lot of good players on it given the current climate and clubs cutting cloth.
nubbsy

Postby City slicker27 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:08 am

Welcome to 2022 CCFC. Its about time the club took this approach. We have been guilty of wasting huge amounts of money and have very little to show for it. Hopefully morison can pull it off and start to build a decent squad capable of knocking a football around.
City slicker27

Postby montyblue » Wed May 11, 2022 9:42 am

He stated he wanted to sign perminent freebies if there free they where not wanted by there own clubs so hardly dynamic imo
but will wait and see what transpires .
montyblue

Postby montyblue » Wed May 11, 2022 9:47 am

Morrison is also sounding like he' s the messiah.
montyblue

Postby Big Hill Blue » Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am

montyblue wrote:Morrison is also sounding like he' s the messiah.

Or a very naughty boy...
Big Hill Blue

Postby Igovernor » Wed May 11, 2022 9:53 am

montyblue wrote:He stated he wanted to sign perminent freebies if there free they where not wanted by there own clubs so hardly dynamic imo

Like when we signed Marshall from relegated Norwich who did not want him, look how badly thet turned out :laughing5:
Igovernor

Postby Cardiblue » Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 am

Yep, hopefully a few more out there for some reason or another don't fit in where they are.
DJ always had an eye for a 'misfit'
From '74 but not no more.
Cardiblue

Postby City slicker27 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:02 am

montyblue wrote:He stated he wanted to sign perminent freebies if there free they where not wanted by there own clubs so hardly dynamic imo

Just because they are out of contract doesn't mean they are not wanted by their club. They might not want to sign a new contract.

Bamba, Hoilet, wintle, Etheridge, NML to name a few, were all signed for free.
City slicker27

Postby powysblue » Wed May 11, 2022 3:53 pm

City slicker27 wrote:

Just because they are out of contract doesn't mean they are not wanted by their club. They might not want to sign a new contract.

So was Tony Evans from Blackpool and look how that turned out :bluescarf:
powysblue

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu May 12, 2022 11:25 pm

powysblue wrote:
City slicker27 wrote:

So was Tony Evans from Blackpool and look how that turned out :bluescarf:

;) :thumbup: :bluebird:
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat