CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF: SHEFF UTD V NOTTM FOREST

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 2:12 pm

Sheffield United v Nottingham Forest
Championship Play-off Semi-final (1st Leg)

Sheffield United's poor record in the play-offs will have no bearing on their semi-final against Nottingham Forest, says Blades boss Paul Heckingbottom.

The Yorkshire side have been involved in the play-offs on eight previous occasions and never been successful.

"It's irrelevant to us," he told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"I don't know why people read into it. It's different players, different staff, different opponent. The whole thing is different."

"It might add to the atmosphere and the crowd, for things they might think about, but not for us
."

Heckingbottom led the Blades to a fifth-placed finish in the second tier after taking over from Slavisa Jokanovic in November, when the side were languishing in mid-table.

He acknowledged there are similarities between the seasons the Blades and their opponents have had.

Steve Cooper replaced Chris Hughton in October, with Forest in the Championship relegation zone, before guiding them to a fourth-placed finish.

"You'd have to say we are both there on merit," Heckingbottom said.

"To get to where they finished after only having a few points from seven or eight games tells you what a tough opponent we are facing.

"They recruited really well in January and added some good experience. They came across a settled way of playing with an attacking threat on the counter. We're playing a good team, not just a team in form
."

Heckingbottom is hopeful striker Billy Sharp could be fit enough to play some part in one of the two legs against Forest.

Midfielders Jack Colback and Ryan Yates could feature for the Reds after missing the draw with Hull City last week.

Forest boss Cooper is leading a side in the second tier play-offs for the third successive year after taking Swansea to the semi-finals, and then final, in his two seasons there.

He says the group is thriving under the pressure.

"It's not just what you work for, it's what you live for," he told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"You have to embrace these moments and the challenge. The ultimate is to get automatic promotion and we had a good go at that and now we're looking forward to this.

"My sense is that the focus and the buzz is right
."

The Reds are looking to return to the Premier League for the first time since being relegated in 1999.

They took their push for automatic promotion into the final week of the season after a superb run under the Welshman and Cooper said it is important to remain level-headed.

"We've got to do it step by step and not look too far ahead. The most important thing is to be ready for Bramall Lane," he said.

Line ups:
Attachments
20220514_150642.jpg
20220514_150642.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20220514_150813.jpg
20220514_150813.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20220514_150747.jpg
20220514_150747.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20220514_150712.jpg
20220514_150712.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF: SHEFF UTD V NOTTM FOREST

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 2:16 pm

I'm hoping for a Forest win in this one; not because I like them but I want Steve Cooper to stick two fingers up at the Jacks who forced him out... :thumbright:

A great start from Forest as Jack Colbeck gives them an early lead with a well constructed goal :clap:

Andre Marriner the referee today but no VAR, which will be used in the Play-off Final at Wembley

LATEST SCORE: SHEFF UTD 0 -1 NOTTM FOREST
Scorer: Jack Colbeck (10 mins)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 2:21 pm

Great defensive work from Sam Surridge sees him stop a goal-bound header when he steps back on to the goal line from a well placed corner :clap:

Sven

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sat May 14, 2022 2:31 pm

Come on Forest. And selfishly, I'd like Everton to get relegated, as we might get Drameh again if Leeds stay up and I want a trip to Goodison again before it goes.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Forest well on top here and my rue a couple of missed chances, although United have had their moments

Brennan Johnson giving the home support some worrying moments

Sven

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat May 14, 2022 2:51 pm

Forest should be about 4-1 up.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 3:08 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Forest should be about 4-1 up.

They should, Ned :thumbup:

HALF-TIME SCORE: SHEFF UTD 0 -1 NOTTM FOREST
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 14, 2022 3:22 pm

VAR to be used in championship playoff final! Div 1& 2 finals under negotiations
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 3:32 pm

GOAL: Brennan Johnson (Forest) with a great, cool, emphatic goal made by Joe Lolley... :clap:

LATEST SCORE: SHEFF UTD 0 -2 NOTTM FOREST
Scorer: Jack Colbeck (10 mins), Brennan Johnson (71 mins)
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 14, 2022 3:33 pm

Sven wrote: GOAL: Brennan Johnson (Forest) with a great, cool, emphatic goal made by Joe Lolley... :clap:

Johnson scored... created by lolly :mrgreen:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:GOAL: Brennan Johnson (Forest) with a great, cool, emphatic goal made by Joe Lolley... :clap:

Johnson scored... created by lolly :mrgreen:

He did; I'm listening on the headphones (Sky) with the bedroom Firestick on 2mins behind, as usual (decorating not sleeping) :lol:
Sven

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 3:39 pm

Brennan Johnson goes close again and the next goal will either create a return game or effectively kill it as a tie

Sven

Postby nojac » Sat May 14, 2022 3:50 pm

Steve Cooper , really showing how good a coach he is! The way forest are playing all action . Not playing the possesion game . I hope forest go on and win both legs . After all we done the double over them :) Its also nice to see McBurnie on the losing side :)
nojac

Postby Sven » Sat May 14, 2022 3:52 pm

GOAL: Sander Berge (Sheffield United) to claw one back, as many United supporters head for the exits (Sunday School a big thing in South Yorkshire) but now head back in

Steve Coooer will be livid; Forest should be out of sight; but it provides a great game for midweek as the game ends

FINAL SCORE: SHEFF UTD 1 -2 NOTTM FOREST
Scorers: Sheff Wed - Sander Berge (80 mins) Forest - Jack Colbeck (10 mins), Brennan Johnson (71 mins)
Sven

Postby davids » Sat May 14, 2022 5:04 pm

Too many Swansea connections with Forest for me to want them to go through.

I remember Cooper giving it the big one to their fans when they beat us at their shithole of a stadium and every time the cameras show him there's that fuckwit Tate in the background.

Imagine if Cooper had come here to manage and brought Beaker with him as his number 2 :o :o :o

Come on Sheffield United - if the Leeds scummers come down and Forest stay in the Championship that's 12 points for us before the season's even started. :thumbup:
davids

Postby Don Keydick » Sat May 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Sven wrote:I'm hoping for a Forest win in this one; not because I like them but I want Steve Cooper to stick two fingers up at the Jacks who forced him out... :thumbright:

A great start from Forest as Jack Colbeck gives them an early lead with a well constructed goal :clap:

Andre Marriner the referee today but no VAR, which will be used in the Play-off Final at Wembley

I prefer Forest too, but don't forget we got a better record at the City ground than Bramhall Lane so I'd rather play Forest next season.
Don Keydick

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat May 14, 2022 11:44 pm

Both these teams have done well to get to the play-offs after the starts they had this season .
All to play for 2nd leg ...
TopCat CCFC

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 16, 2022 12:12 pm

All 3 of efl playoff finals will use var. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 16, 2022 8:44 pm

Huddersfield await in the final.... they won 2-1 on aggregate.
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat