Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Best players we've missed out on signing "

Sun May 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Remember a few years ago we missed out on signing Jarrod Bowen from Hull. Bowen himself said he didn't join us because of the tragic situation at the time about Emiliano Sala.

He also had a trial with us when he left Hereford but we chose not to sign him.

Having a great season with West Ham and scored two against Manchester City today. He's got to be one of the best players we missed out on signing.

Who are the others that people can think of?

Re: " Best players we've missed out on signing "

Sun May 15, 2022 2:17 pm

I remember reading Ritchie Morgan saying that Leicester offered us a young ‘winger’ by the name of Gary Lineker but the board wouldn’t sanction it.

Sun May 15, 2022 2:18 pm

Luis Diaz

Sun May 15, 2022 2:19 pm

Luis Diaz had agreed to join us in the summer if we hadn’t had been relegated

Sun May 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Jamie Vardy from Fleetwood in 2012.

Sun May 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Dirk Kuyt,and his kids were enrolled in to Howells :laughing6:

Sun May 15, 2022 3:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Remember a few years ago we missed out on signing Jarrod Bowen from Hull. Bowen himself said he didn't join us because of the tragic situation at the time about Emiliano Sala.

Having a great season with West Ham and scored two against Manchester City today. He's got to be one of the best players we missed out on signing.

We had Bowen in for a trial and we never signed him up before he went to Hull.

Sun May 15, 2022 3:27 pm

We were linked to Liverpool's Luiz Diaz when he was still playing in South America.

We ended up with Josh Murphy instead.

Sun May 15, 2022 4:33 pm

Not the best, but I was gutted when we missed out on signing Koumas permanently.

I think we tried signing Zamora from Brighton too? He went on to have a good career

Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Remember a few years ago we missed out on signing Jarrod Bowen from Hull. Bowen himself said he didn't join us because of the tragic situation at the time about Emiliano Sala.

Agree Ned - And as Bushy has posted above Vardy - who had 3 teams to join and chose Leicester .

Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 am

Do I remember Warnock saying that he was advised by a scout to look at a young African player called Didier Drogber but declined and said he wasn't up to English league standards ??? :shock:

Mon May 16, 2022 4:23 am

I'm sure Warnock was after after Saint Maximin for us from Nice

Mon May 16, 2022 8:18 am

Letting Bale and Bellamy be picked up by other clubs as school kids has to be up there. Isn't Chis Pike Bales uncle?

Mon May 16, 2022 12:15 pm

John Toshack when released by Liverpool, worst mistake of all

Mon May 16, 2022 6:44 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I remember reading Ritchie Morgan saying that Leicester offered us a young ‘winger’ by the name of Gary Lineker but the board wouldn’t sanction it.

Didn't we end up signing Lethal Lynex instead ?

Mon May 16, 2022 8:42 pm

I remember when Malky was our manager we missed out on Van Dijk who joined Celtic over us. We were also after Ricardo Pereira who a few years later joined Leicester City and he has been quality for them. We came close to signing Benjamin Mandy from Le Harve who eventually joined Man City. But the least said about him at the moment is better.