Cardiff City FC have competed in the UFEA cup winners cup th

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 16, 2022 6:23 am

Cardiff City FC have competed in the UFEA cup winners cup the most of any club in Europe : 14 times

1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1989, 1993, 1994
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City FC have competed in the UFEA cup winners cu

Postby mugsy » Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 am

I used to love those European Cup Winners Cup games at Ninian Park :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
mugsy

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 16, 2022 9:07 am

We also travelled furthest distance for a European game when we went to tashkent to play Moscow dynamo/torpedo
pembroke allan

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City FC have competed in the UFEA cup winners cup the most of any club in Europe : 14 times

1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1989, 1993, 1994

Loved those games as a kid ,cup winners cup was a good competition
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Bluebird For Life » Mon May 16, 2022 11:31 am

The European nights at Ninian were special - I'll never forget watching us beat the then mighty Dynamo Tblisi only to lose the away leg which I listened to on a crackly old radio. Would have loved to have seen the Real Madrid game but it was the season before I started going...
Bluebird For Life

Postby Don Keydick » Mon May 16, 2022 11:49 am

pembroke allan wrote:We also travelled furthest distance for a European game when we went to tashkent to play Moscow dynamo/torpedo

It was Moscow Torpedo and we won the home leg 1-0 and lost the away leg 1-0. Torpedo couldn't play in their home stadium because of the deep snow in Moscow at that time of year. I believe Tashkent is in Asia so we played a European game in Asia. In those days there was no penalty shoot out so a deciding game was played in Augsburg, Germany. If my memory serves Norman Dean scored for us after about 10 minutes in the play-off, and it was backs to the wall for the rest of the game but we held on. Trying to listen to that game on a crackly radio which kept going off frequency and you had to keep turning the tuner to get it back, was a nightmare. Loved those European nights at NP.
Don Keydick

Postby MoodyBluebird » Tue May 17, 2022 12:08 am

Don Keydick wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:We also travelled furthest distance for a European game when we went to tashkent to play Moscow dynamo/torpedo

It was Moscow Torpedo and we won the home leg 1-0 and lost the away leg 1-0. Torpedo couldn't play in their home stadium because of the deep snow in Moscow at that time of year. I believe Tashkent is in Asia so we played a European game in Asia. In those days there was no penalty shoot out so a deciding game was played in Augsburg, Germany. If my memory serves Norman Dean scored for us after about 10 minutes in the play-off, and it was backs to the wall for the rest of the game but we held on. Trying to listen to that game on a crackly radio which kept going off frequency and you had to keep turning the tuner to get it back, was a nightmare. Loved those European nights at NP.

Pretty sure I remember listening to the replay on a radio too and was thrilled when we got through to the semis. Just think, Cardiff City were in the last 4 with Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Hamburg. Seems surreal now.

Do you remember that Torpedo's centre forward was Eduard Streltsov, a convicted rapist ? Not a lot of people know that !!
MoodyBluebird

Postby Don Keydick » Tue May 17, 2022 5:14 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Pretty sure I remember listening to the replay on a radio too and was thrilled when we got through to the semis. Just think, Cardiff City were in the last 4 with Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Hamburg. Seems surreal now.

Do you remember that Torpedo's centre forward was Eduard Streltsov, a convicted rapist ? Not a lot of people know that !!

No I don't remember that. But how close we were to a European final? Got a fantastic 1-1 draw in the away leg in Hamburg and lost the second 2-3 at NP. If I remember rightly, Hamburg had half the German team that lost the '66 world cup final, so they were a good side. I'm pretty sure we had signed Clarkey earlier in the season but I'm not sure if he was eligible to play in Europe. Hamburg's winner was scored with the last kick of the match I think.
Don Keydick

Postby JJ1927 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:23 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

I remember it. I was a young lad and didn't know what rape was so asked my dad who red faced mumbled something incoherent to me!! Days of innocence.
JJ1927

Postby JJ1927 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:27 am

Don Keydick wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

No I don't remember that. But how close we were to a European final? Got a fantastic 1-1 draw in the away leg in Hamburg and lost the second 2-3 at NP. If I remember rightly, Hamburg had half the German team that lost the '66 world cup final, so they were a good side. I'm pretty sure we had signed Clarkey earlier in the season but I'm not sure if he was eligible to play in Europe. Hamburg's winner was scored with the last kick of the match I think.

No your right, Brian Clarke couldnt play but his replacement Norman Dean scored the opener i think, before Hamburg went 2-1 up. . Brian Harris got the equaliser with a few minutes left before that heatbreak moment.
JJ1927

Postby MoodyBluebird » Tue May 17, 2022 11:43 am

JJ1927 wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

No your right, Brian Clarke couldnt play but his replacement Norman Dean scored the opener i think, before Hamburg went 2-1 up. . Brian Harris got the equaliser with a few minutes left before that heatbreak moment.

I was right behind the goal when Brian Harris scored. It was a fantastic feeling when it went in but a horrible one when Hoenig scored the winner for Hamburg at the end. Scoular blamed Wilson for letting it in but he was so unlucky. He saved the shot but imparted so much bottom spin on the ball that even though the ball went forward it span back viciously into the net.
MoodyBluebird

Postby JJ1927 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:54 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

I was right behind the goal when Brian Harris scored. It was a fantastic feeling when it went in but a horrible one when Hoenig scored the winner for Hamburg at the end. Scoular blamed Wilson for letting it in but he was so unlucky. He saved the shot but imparted so much bottom spin on the ball that even though the ball went forward it span back viciously into the net.

I was there as well. Boys enclosure !! Even if it was Wilsons fault, he was responsible for us getting that far because apparently he was outstanding in the away leg in Hamburg and away against Moscow Torpedo. I have got a feeling he was only playing because Fred Davies was ineligible like Brian Clarke.
JJ1927

Return to General Chat