" Jake Daniels "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Jake Daniels "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 16, 2022 5:20 pm

Blackpool's Jake Daniels tells his story to Sky Sports about becoming the UK's first male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay since Justin Fashanu in 1990

"I told my mum and my sister. The day after we played Accrington and I scored four, so it just shows how much of a weight off the shoulders it was and a massive relief."

Blackpool forward Jake Daniels speaks exclusively on becoming the UK's first male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay since Justin Fashanu.

Jake talks about coming out to his parents, his club, and his team-mates. On his desire to be honest and live his life without telling a lie. On the anxiety of wondering if his family and team-mates would be supportive and on how he hopes his actions can help others do the same.

This is his story:

Now is the right time to do it. I feel like I am ready to tell people my story. I want people to know the real me.

I have been thinking for a long time about how I want to do it, when I want to do it. I know now is the time. I am ready to be myself, be free and be confident with it all.

I can't really put a date on it, but I was probably five or six years old when I knew I was gay. So it's been a long time that I have been living with the lie.

At that age you don't really think that football and being gay doesn't mix. You just think, one day, when I'm older I'll get a girlfriend and I will change and it will be fine.

But as you get older you realise you can't just change. It doesn't work like that.

I did have girlfriends in the past, to try and make all my mates think I was straight, but it was just a massive cover-up. In school people even used to ask me: "Are you sure you aren't gay?". And I would reply, "no, I'm not".

I wasn't ready and it was a struggle but I just don't want to lie any more.

For a long time I've thought I would have to hide my truth because I wanted to be, and now I am, a professional footballer. I asked myself if I should wait until I've retired to come out. No other player in the professional game here is out.

However, I knew that would lead to a long time of lying and not being able to be myself or lead the life that I want to.

Since I've come out to my family, my club and my team-mates, that period of overthinking everything and the stress it created has gone. It was impacting my mental heath. Now I am just confident and happy to be myself finally.

I first told my mum and my sister, who I live with. "Yeah, we already knew," was how they reacted.

Then we told my whole family and at this point I was quite scared because I didn't know how the older generation might react.

I needn't have worried. I've had so many messages saying, "we are proud and we are supportive." It's been amazing. I couldn't have wished for it to go better.

The day after I told my mum and sister, we played Accrington [in an under-18s fixture] and I scored four goals, so it just shows how much of a weight off the shoulders and what a massive relief it was.

And Blackpool have been absolutely amazing too. I am with them every day and I felt safe. My team-mates have all been so supportive about it and everyone has had my back. They've been asking tons of questions, they have all been intrigued and their reaction has been brilliant. It's the best thing I could have asked for.

Of course, everyone was kind of shocked in a way and they were asking why I didn't tell them earlier. That was a great reaction because it showed how much they cared.

The captain was one of the main people I told and he also asked me loads of questions. In the end he just said, "I'm just so proud of you". It meant so much.

I like it when people ask questions. I just want to get it all out and for people to hear my story.

It's been quite a crazy year. I'm 17. I've signed a professional contract. I've scored 30 goals this season and I've just made my first team debut in the Championship, coming off the bench against Peterborough.

And now I have decided to come out.

Everything has happened at once but it feels right. When this season started, I just wanted to prove myself as a player. I think I have. So this was the one last thing in my head that I knew I needed to do. Now it's out, and people know. Now I can just live my life how I want to and you know what? It's been incredible.

The subject of being gay, or bi or queer in men's football is still a taboo. I think it comes down to how a lot of footballers want to be known for their masculinity. And people see being gay as being weak, something you can be picked on for on the football field.

Of course I am aware that there will be a reaction to this and some of it will be homophobic, maybe in a stadium and on social media.

It's an easy thing for people to target. The way I see it is that I am playing football and they are shouting stuff at me, but they are paying to watch me play football and I am living my life and making money from it. So shout what you want, it's not going to make a difference.

I won't stop people from saying that stuff, I just need to learn how to not let it affect me.

I am hoping that by coming out, I can be a role model, to help others come out if they want to. I am only 17 but I am clear that this is what I want to do and if, by me coming out, other people look at me and feel maybe they can do it as well, that would be brilliant.

If they think this kid is brave enough do this, I will be able to do it too.

I hate knowing people are in the same situation I was in. I think if a Premier League footballer does come out that would just be amazing. I feel like I would have done my job and inspired someone else to do that. I just want it to go up from here. We shouldn't be where we are right now.

I know that every situation is different and that there are a lot of different factors for other people to consider that will scare them a lot, especially in football.

And if you think you are ready, then speak to people. I know that's such a hard thing to do, it was a hard thing for me to do, but just speak to the closest people around you, you are going to get support you need.

Sky Sports News reporter Tim Thornton:

"I was approached by Jake's representatives at the start of the year after he had decided that he wanted to come out publicly. I met Jake, his agent and his mum in Blackpool and we discussed what a road map towards sharing his news might look like.

"Since then, it has been a process driven by Jake and his desire to help others. Throughout, he has been afforded all the time he needs to reflect, without any external pressure. He has continued to tell us all, with absolute clarity, that he would arrive at this destination and be true to himself."

Blackpool FC: "Blackpool Football Club has worked closely with Stonewall and the relevant footballing organisations to support Jake and is incredibly proud that he has reached a stage where he is empowered to express himself both on-and-off the pitch.

"It is vital that we all promote an environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves, and that football leads the way in removing any form of discrimination and prejudice."

The Professional Footballers' Association: "We are extremely proud of Jake and have been working with him and his club. He has the complete support of everyone at the PFA."

Trevor Birch, EFL Chief Executive: "Coming out publicly in professional football will have taken great courage and I have huge admiration for Jake Daniels' decision to do so. This will no doubt serve as an inspiration to people everywhere and Jake has the full support of the EFL.

"As our national sport, football has a huge role to play as we seek to promote equality of all forms. We hope that this moment helps take us forward to a time where LGBTQ+ representation at all levels of the men's professional game is the norm.

Football v Homophobia: "Football v Homophobia would like to congratulate Jake on taking this step to share his authentic self in the men's professional game, especially at such a young age.

"There have previously been players who felt that they had no place in the game as out gay men during their playing careers, but Jake is showing the world that you can be yourself.

"We hope that football will join us in celebrating Jake's news and take proactive steps to ensure that he receives the support he deserves, from players, fans, clubs and the football authorities."

The FA: "Jake, you are an inspiration to us all and we fully support your decision to be open about this part of yourself. Football is a game for all, with diversity at its heart, and this is a hugely positive step as we strive to build an inclusive game that we can all be proud of."

Premier League: "We support Jake and believe football is for everyone. Clubs and communities are stronger when everyone feels welcome, on and off the pitch. It's up to all of us to make that happen, which is why we should all speak out against discrimination and in support of the LGBTQ+ community."
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

" Jake Daniels "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Jake Daniels "

Postby Sven » Mon May 16, 2022 5:44 pm

A very brave young man and he will get support from all right-minded people :clap:

No labels; other than Jake Daniels, human being and professional footballer :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Floppsy » Mon May 16, 2022 5:56 pm

Brave decision.
Hopefully this will encourage others to do so who haven't felt comfortable before.
Floppsy

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 16, 2022 6:14 pm

Sven wrote:A very brave young man and he will get support from all right-minded people :clap:

No labels; other than Jake Daniels, human being and professional footballer :ayatollah:

Best thing about it Chris is that Sky Sports and Blackpool have known for months but waited to reveal it until it was the right time for him and his family.

No doubt he'll get abuse, which he has acknowledged, so a very brave young man.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby M4 Exile » Mon May 16, 2022 6:38 pm

“ Of course I am aware that there will be a reaction to this and some of it will be homophobic, maybe in a stadium and on social media.

It's an easy thing for people to target. The way I see it is that I am playing football and they are shouting stuff at me, but they are paying to watch me play football and I am living my life and making money from it. So shout what you want, it's not going to make a difference.”

Spot on lad :thumbup:
M4 Exile

Postby NinianLFW » Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm

It should be a reaction from the media and fans of"so what"

As how many heterosexual male or female footballers have to publicly announce that they sleep with or their sexual orientation is towards the opposite sex.

Great step for sport and the world in general.
But a shame it needs to be a topic of discussion.
NinianLFW

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Sven wrote:A very brave young man and he will get support from all right-minded people :clap:

Well said Chris.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Best thing about it Chris is that Sky Sports and Blackpool have known for months but waited to reveal it until it was the right time for him and his family.

Only abuse would be from ignorant Neanderthals Ned, and their opinions don’t matter imo. Hear what your saying though. Brave man but good on you son. :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 16, 2022 9:15 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Only abuse would be from ignorant Neanderthals Ned, and their opinions don’t matter imo. Hear what your saying though. Brave man but good on you son. :thumbup:

Totally agree mate.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby Bakedalasker » Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm

I once lodged i this house full of gays. One of them I worked with and he offered me his spare room as I was getting tired of B&Bing it plus it was getting expensive. I didn't know then that he was gay and that first night I could not work out how there were 5 lads in the house but only 4 bedrooms.

It was the following night when his partner had a word with me about it all. Apparently he was worried that his sexuality would get back to the guys at work. I assured him it would not although I thought them at work might already know. It then dawned on me that perhaps them at work might think I'm that way. I prepared myself to nip the bud in the head if that occurred. Glad that never happened.

That was 20 odd years ago when gay was being accepted. Today kids at school don't mock it unlike my generation. So why are gays like this still having to come out of the closet?
Bakedalasker

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I once lodged i this house full of gays. One of them I worked with and he offered me his spare room as I was getting tired of B&Bing it plus it was getting expensive. I didn't know then that he was gay and that first night I could not work out how there were 5 lads in the house but only 4 bedrooms.

It was the following night when his partner had a word with me about it all. Apparently he was worried that his sexuality would get back to the guys at work. I assured him it would not although I thought them at work might already know. It then dawned on me that perhaps them at work might think I'm that way. I prepared myself to nip the bud in the head if that occurred. Glad that never happened.

That was 20 odd years ago when gay was being accepted. Today kids at school don't mock it unlike my generation. So why are gays like this still having to come out of the closet?

A very good question mate.

My hypothesis would be that team mates or opposition players may still have a backwards view of things.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon May 16, 2022 10:47 pm

Good Luck To The Lad .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Sven » Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 pm

NinianLFW wrote:It should be a reaction from the media and fans of"so what"

As how many heterosexual male or female footballers have to publicly announce that they sleep with or their sexual orientation is towards the opposite sex.

Great step for sport and the world in general.
But a shame it needs to be a topic of discussion.

A topic well worthy of note and discussion; so much so, you chose it as your very first interaction (under this name) on this Forum

I agree with your sentiments otherwise, though... :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Don Keydick » Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 am

What amazes me is that we are right at the business end of the season but this story is going to take all the headlines and run for weeks. These days nobody cares who's gay or who isn't, so why is it a big thing in football? Yeah, hats off to the lad but I don't think it's big news.
Don Keydick

Postby Sven » Tue May 17, 2022 8:33 am

Don Keydick wrote:What amazes me is that we are right at the business end of the season but this story is going to take all the headlines and run for weeks. These days nobody cares who's gay or who isn't, so why is it a big thing in football? Yeah, hats off to the lad but I don't think it's big news.

It's 'big news' for a few reasons, including its relative uniqueness in footballing circles and to help drive homophobia out of football/sport/society

The last (male) player to come out was Justin Fasanu 30+ years ago and his was a tragic story

This revelation should/could pave the way for others to be themselves with less fear and/or without recrimination

As you rightly say, mainstream society is far more accepting nowadays, so hopefully people can just be who they are and live their lives accordingly :ayatollah:
Sven

Postby Don Keydick » Tue May 17, 2022 9:14 am

Sven wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:What amazes me is that we are right at the business end of the season but this story is going to take all the headlines and run for weeks. These days nobody cares who's gay or who isn't, so why is it a big thing in football? Yeah, hats off to the lad but I don't think it's big news.

It's 'big news' for a few reasons, including its relative uniqueness in footballing circles and to help drive homophobia out of football/sport/society

The last (male) player to come out was Justin Fasanu 30+ years ago and his was a tragic story

This revelation should/could pave the way for others to be themselves with less fear and/or without recrimination

As you rightly say, mainstream society is far more accepting nowadays, so hopefully people can just be who they are and live their lives accordingly :ayatollah:

As we all know through following football for years and years, fans will do anything to put opposition players off, it's part and parcel of the game. If a player is chubby, skinny, tall, short, ginger, bald or gay, opposing fans will have the chants. If players are coming out now, there will be some remarks off the terraces but it will die down I'm sure. People shouldn't do it but they will. I remember when the first black player in the league, (Clyde Best?) was playing and he used to get some terrible stick, which is unacceptable now quite rightly, but apart from a few numbskulls those days are pretty much gone. I hope this lad, and whoever else comes out will ride through and hopefully laugh it off. :ayatollah:
Don Keydick

Postby Floppsy » Tue May 17, 2022 9:33 am

Don Keydick wrote:
Sven wrote:

As we all know through following football for years and years, fans will do anything to put opposition players off, it's part and parcel of the game. If a player is chubby, skinny, tall, short, ginger, bald or gay, opposing fans will have the chants. If players are coming out now, there will be some remarks off the terraces but it will die down I'm sure. People shouldn't do it but they will. I remember when the first black player in the league, (Clyde Best?) was playing and he used to get some terrible stick, which is unacceptable now quite rightly, but apart from a few numbskulls those days are pretty much gone. I hope this lad, and whoever else comes out will ride through and hopefully laugh it off. :ayatollah:

'Laugh it off' - are you serious?
Homophobic chants are classed as hate crimes and people could be prosecuted.
No one should have to 'laugh them off'
Floppsy

Postby JulesK » Tue May 17, 2022 1:15 pm

Well done son, fair play to you.
No doubt some knuckle daggers will spew their vile abuse but most will support you ( except when you're down here lol) .Hard to believe that we are in 2022 and folk still find it difficult to come out as they say.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
JulesK

Postby Don Keydick » Tue May 17, 2022 2:50 pm

Floppsy wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Sven wrote:

Yes mate, they have to laugh it off if only to show the idiots that it doesn't affect them. The minute they show anything else, the dickheads have won.
Don Keydick

Postby Floppsy » Tue May 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Don Keydick wrote:
Floppsy wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:
Sven wrote:

Yes mate, they have to laugh it off if only to show the idiots that it doesn't affect them. The minute they show anything else, the dickheads have won.

The idiots shouldn't be dishing out their homophobia in the first place.
If its not challenged and stamped out then it becomes acceptable and they'll carry on.
In a similar way, would you expect a black player to laugh off racist chanting?
Floppsy

Postby Igovernor » Wed May 18, 2022 8:09 am

Well done to the lad, it takes courage to do what he has done, and at 17 years old really remarkable :thumbup:
Igovernor

Return to General Chat