Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Charlie Austin has held talks Cardiff

Tue May 17, 2022 1:48 pm

Charlie Austin has held talks with Championship club Cardiff City and met Morison and Ken Choo

Re: Charlie Austin has held talks Cardiff

Tue May 17, 2022 1:58 pm

Charlie Austin has held talks with Championship duo Cardiff City and Swansea City after his QPR exit but is looking into a potential MLS move, sources have exclusively informed Football League World

It was confirmed earlier this month that the 32-year-old would not be offered a new contract by the R’s and was set to leave when his contract expired this summer.

Across two spells, Austin scored 61 goals in 147 appearances for the west London club – including 14 in 59 games since rejoining them from West Bromwich Albion in January 2021.

He made it clear after leaving the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium that he would not be retiring and it appears he is now assessing his options.

Tue May 17, 2022 2:06 pm

Not for me if he is to be the main striker A few years back would have been great but not now

Tue May 17, 2022 2:43 pm

I'd imagine lazy journalists again. Doesn't fit into our budget or what we're trying to do. It's probably a case of he's free who needs a striker, they must be after him!

Tue May 17, 2022 2:45 pm

As a back-up player yes. Better than Collins. Big personality too, we're gonna need some big voices in the dressing room next season. If Huddersfield can get to the P/O Final with Ward and Rhodes then Austin will do a job for us if we have a good system in place.

Tue May 17, 2022 3:00 pm

He was going to sign for us 2 years ago ,he was sat in a service station all ready in the January transfer window ,my mate is best mates with his brother in law, he sent me a photo at the time but cardiff pulled out didn't want to pay his wages back then but his wage demands might be less now he's 32 .

Tue May 17, 2022 4:30 pm

If he's willing to take a low wage then I'd be happy with him for 12 months but the times of giving old heads big money is thankfully gone. He's got a 1 in 3 scoring record in his last stint at QPR so he can still put them away and we're going to need a bit of experience.

Tue May 17, 2022 5:35 pm

He certainly is a fox the box perhaps he's willing to play for less due to Bale arriving??

Tue May 17, 2022 7:40 pm

Definitely worth a go if we can afford him

Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 pm

This is wholly dependent on what sort of money he’s looking for.

He’s a proven goalscorer. It’s doubtful he would play every game so it’s a matter of what we can/are willing to pay and if that’s enough for him.

Wed May 18, 2022 7:42 am

Yes please.

Proven goal scorer at this level and to be honest would be a better pick than Watters, Collins, Harris and Davies. Remember we are having a complete overhaul so we'll need starters and bench players to come in.

I'd also go after the Man City youngster Delap on loan. We tried last season if rumours are to be believed

Wed May 18, 2022 2:51 pm

He was going to sign for us 2 years ago

We had a chance of signing him from Swindon 10 to 11 years ago I was on holiday in turkey and was talking to him and his dad he was called over there by manager of swindon Danny Wilson and he was really excited and when I came home I thought it was a done deal but City was not willing to pay the 1.5 million Swindon wanted for him apparently so Burnley got him I kept an eye on him and he scored 18 goals for them.

I was quietly annoyed as seeing the boy wanted to come to Cardiff for myself and then see him do quite well for himself rather frustrated again with Cardiff lol

Wed May 18, 2022 3:43 pm

valleyrambill wrote:
He was going to sign for us 2 years ago

We had a chance of signing him from Swindon 10 to 11 years ago I was on holiday in turkey and was talking to him and his dad he was called over there by manager of swindon Danny Wilson and he was really excited and when I came home I thought it was a done deal but City was not willing to pay the 1.5 million Swindon wanted for him apparently so Burnley got him I kept an eye on him and he scored 18 goals for them.

I was quietly annoyed as seeing the boy wanted to come to Cardiff for myself and then see him do quite well for himself rather frustrated again with Cardiff lol

Seend like we've always been in his thoughts then .