Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the la

Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 am

Signing a bunch of misfits, will even end really well, or terribly and this is make or break season

I hope a shit load of scouting has gone into this. These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the last few years, totally up in the air how they will do.

I'm sure they will become world beaters the way they are being described.

I'm hopeful SM will get the right balance of youth, experience and talent but not expecting miracles from Day 1. Certainly different from anything that's gone before though by October the middle of September we will know exactly how the season will pan out.

Re: These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the

Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 am

Loyal Blue wrote:Signing a bunch of misfits, will even end really well, or terribly and this is make or break season

I hope a shit load of scouting has gone into this. These signings are unlike anything I've seen from us the last few years, totally up in the air how they will do.

I'm hopeful SM will get the right balance of youth, experience and talent but not expecting miracles from Day 1. Certainly different from anything that's gone before though by October the middle of September we will know exactly how the season will pan out.

How are they misfits ?

Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 am

Not misfits at all, relatively unknown yes, but by all accounts they left a team who would have rather had kept them.

I applaud the shrewd signings, not expecting all to work out but for the low expenditure, much better than signing a single dud for millions.

Sounds like they have done their homework on them too so I'm hopeful this is a good sign for the future -our transfer strategy has been so bad for years

Fri May 20, 2022 10:29 am

Every single one of them has left their clubs with their fans very sorry that they're leaving. That for me paints a great picture.

I don't envy the clubs that pick up half of our actual 'misfits' and thie fans that come on here and read what we have to say about the ones leaving us...

Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 am

Loyal Blue wrote:Signing a bunch of misfits, will even end really well, or terribly and this is make or break season

Takes some doing, but this might be the most absurd thing posted on this forum :laughing5:

Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am

The OP has a right to make such comments.

What he is getting at, to which I concur, is that this will either end really well and this could be a grwat season, or it could be a disaster.

We have signed potential, but at this stage I would want to see a little experience added to complement such potential.

That in my opinion is fair to say.

Fri May 20, 2022 10:41 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Takes some doing, but this might be the most absurd thing posted on this forum :laughing5:

Not even close. If he used a different term other than “misfits” then he has a very good point. Every signing we have made, nobody knows a thing about so it could go either way. It is a very different transfer window than what we are used to, which is making things very interesting indeed.

Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Raising concerns is not being negative, and certainly not absurd.

It seems that unless the poster or anyone for that matter says "this is amazing" then they are made out to be some form of idiot.

Fri May 20, 2022 11:55 am

Barclay1 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

It seems that unless the poster or anyone for that matter says "this is amazing" then they are made out to be some form of idiot.

To an extent you are right but using the term “misfits” paints a wholly negative and, more importantly, inaccurate picture of these signings.

The fact is, none of the four signed so far have been released by their clubs. In fact, they’ve all been offered new deals and all of the parent clubs have expressed disappointment that they are going.

So yes they are untried but they are certainly not misfits no matter what your feelings are about the type of signings they are.

Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

To an extent you are right but using the term “misfits” paints a wholly negative and, more importantly, inaccurate picture of these signings.

The fact is, none of the four signed so far have been released by their clubs. In fact, they’ve all been offered new deals and all of the parent clubs have expressed disappointment that they are going.

So yes they are untried but they are certainly not misfits no matter what your feelings are about the type of signings they are.

Some people will put a negative spin on whatever they can. It seems a lot of people's opinions on players/transfers stops at whether they have heard of them or not. I havnt heard of him so he must be shit type of attitude.

Summed up nicely by Barclay who's opinion on Tanner went from underwhelming and cheap to Tanner having something about him and having excellent potential, within a few posts because someone confirmed he was actually a spurs target - something he questioned despite it being common knowledge.

Personally I am happy with the signings so far and Morison and club deserve credit for getting business done so early. The season hasn't even officially ended yet! I still expect another 4/5 signings and 3/4 loans to come in.

Fri May 20, 2022 12:44 pm

I agree misfits is very very harsh and out of order, but it is their opinion:

But I am worried as they are all lower league players etc and we will need to sign about 6 quality players to go with them and the 7-8 youngsters we will have.

Remember up to 15 players are leaving.

The Championship is one of the toughest leagues in Europe.

Am I excited? The jury is totally out, I will wait and see all the other signings we bring in and our results after the first month.

Bluebirds

Fri May 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I agree misfits is very very harsh and out of order, but it is their opinion:

But I am worried as they are all lower league players etc and we will need to sign about 6 quality players to go with them and the 7-8 youngsters we will have.

Am I excited? The jury is totally out, I will wait and see all the other signings we bring in and our results after the first month.

Bluebirds

Some are deffo lower league Annis, but the fella from Germany played in their 2nd division so pretty strong, and the keeper had some of the best stats in Scotland, tho of course that is Scotland, so...that said, we often do very well with Scottish signings for whatever reason, it has been a thing at the City for many years.

:bluebird:

Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 pm

We've spent big money on players who turned out to be absolutely awful and signed "lower league players" who've done very well.

Not everyone we sign will be successful here obviously but calling players you know nothing about misfits is absurd :laughing5:

As for Barclays point... It can either go very well or a disaster :lol: true for every club in the league it doesn't really need saying

Fri May 20, 2022 3:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I agree misfits is very very harsh and out of order, but it is their opinion:

Bluebirds

I agree we need more established quality but it’s pretty clear that we will be getting the full 5 loans in and I’d suggest that’s where the quality will come from in the main.

Upfront is where we need to spend the majority of the small budget we might have.

Having said that, the rumoured signing who’s been playing in Madrid might increase the quality somewhat !!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Hey Loyal, can I charge you with plagiarism !! I thought your last paragraph looked eerily familiar until I realised I'd penned an identical piece on the other board (save for the October/September bit).

Fri May 20, 2022 3:33 pm

wez1927 wrote:

How are they misfits ?

Wez, nearly all of this has been lifted from the other board. The final paragraph up to the word "before" was copied verbatim from a response I gave.

Fri May 20, 2022 4:25 pm

I'm actually really excited so far! :bluescarf:

Fri May 20, 2022 5:48 pm

IMO with SM we actually have a manager that understands what the fans want.
Players that want to play for us.
And by the looks of it an attacking passing style of football.

Something not seen in a while with City.

He has had huge success in the the youth and most importantly he's one of our own.

Last seasons loans signings shows how he can spot talent.
And we'd take them back again.

And as for Ollie Tanner.
Maybe I was on my own with this one.
But the YouTube footage posted on here of him brought tears to my eyes.
How much we and everyone else in the championship want and need a player like him.
We've been crying out for one for years.

Give SM a chance too prove himself.
We won't get anyone who cares as much as him.

Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:I'm actually really excited so far! :bluescarf:

Same here. Not expecting us to storm the championship next season but I'm generally excited that we have a manager that seems to be building something positive and we are moving away from hoofball...finally.

Fri May 20, 2022 6:16 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Every single one of them has left their clubs with their fans very sorry that they're leaving. That for me paints a great picture.

I don't envy the clubs that pick up half of our actual 'misfits' and thie fans that come on here and read what we have to say about the ones leaving us...

Totally agree with this.

Said on another topic that the manager will live or die depending on these signings because next season the team will be 100% his team.

Fri May 20, 2022 9:36 pm

In simple terms can these signings gel and quickly into an effective football team?. Time will tell

Fri May 20, 2022 11:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Every single one of them has left their clubs with their fans very sorry that they're leaving. That for me paints a great picture.

Totally agree with this.

Said on another topic that the manager will live or die depending on these signings because next season the team will be 100% his team.

Spot On - And they need to be given a chance to start off with :bluescarf: