Joey Barton has revealed he would like Cardiff City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat May 21, 2022 8:00 am

Joey Barton has revealed he would like Cardiff City’s James Connolly who is 21 years old later this year, back at Bristol Rovers next season.

Bristol Rovers we’re league 2 and we’re successful in getting promotion.

The centre-back was arguably the best player Cardiff had out on loan last year, or certainly he was the one who made the biggest impression. He was brought in back in January before the Gas preceded to rocket up the table. Connolly earned rave reviews across the Severn and was a rock at the back, turning out 24 times during the end-of-season run-in.

It has been strongly suggested they want him back for the League One campaign following their promotion. Well Barton has confirmed that school of thought.

Asked about whether he would want any of last season's loanees — Luke Thomas from Barnsley, James Connolly from Cardiff, Connor Taylor from Stoke City, Sion Spence from Crystal Palace and Elliot Anderson from Newcastle United — .back, Barton told the BBC : “We would want to take them all, but they are somebody else’s players and they kindly loan them to you.

"I’m incredibly grateful to Stoke and Newcastle and Barnsley and Cardiff for loaning us their young players and trusting us with their development. If they came available, you’d love to have a conversation with them.”

When asked specifically about Connolly, Barton said: "I’m not 100 per cent sure. I still think he’s got a year left at Cardiff. He was an amazing signing at the time and played well beyond his years and he complemented Connor. You forget we had Hooley (Luca Hoole) at 19, Connor at 20 and James Connolly at 20, forming a back four in League Two which historically you’d want a few wily old foxes in those positions."

It comes as Connolly's contract at Cardiff is just a month away from expiration. However, the club have tabled an offer to the young defender, yet a deal has not been agreed as things stand.

Cardiff do, though, have the option to trigger a year's extension, which is likely if the player does not put pen to paper on the fresh terms offered.

It is likely Steve Morison will want to assess the player following his promotion-winning loan spell away with Bristol Rovers, however another loan move next term has not been ruled out. Given Rovers are in League One next term, it would seem logical for him to head back there if Barton is keen on the prospect.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat