Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tommy Doyle going out on loan to a Championship club

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:38 pm

My View: I actually believe this

Manchester City’s Tommy Doyle and Cardiff fans favourite already being lined up to join Kompany at Burnley, Manchester City want Doyle to join a club in the Championship that will most likely challenge for promotion next season says Insider
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tommy Doyle going out on loan to a Championship club

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:48 pm

Makes perfect sense all round, although I’d love to have had him back.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:53 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that Burnley might go into free fall next season

Probably better for his development to come back to us, he will play virtually every game and given a free role

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Had this ealier what makes burnley a challenging at top championship? wba was suppose to be yet look at them huddersfield wouldn't be classed as challenging this season as was 20th last season where did they finish. .. dont go with this challenging part as championship is far to unpredictable to say least. At least man c know he developed under morison so less of a gamble than other clubs

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Tommy Doyle is the most likely of Manchester City's young guns to link up with soon-to-be Burnley manager Vincent Kompany at Burnley, according to the MEN.

Doyle was brilliant for the Bluebirds last season and Steve Morison would doubtless have him back in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself, but it looks increasingly likely that the midfielder will be moving to a club set to battle it out at the top end of the division this summer.

Kompany is tipped to takeover at Burnley as the Clarets look to appoint a permanent successor following the mid-season dismissal of Sean Dyche prior to their relegation to the Championship. It has led some to speculate whether Craig Bellamy, who was a youth coach under Kompany at Anderlecht, might join him at Turf Moor.

And in an article suggesting which young players might be loaned out by Pep Guardiola to Kompany next term, the MEN wrote of Doyle: "Doyle might be the most likely candidate for a move. The 20-year-old enjoyed a successful second half of the season with Cardiff, who want him back for another year. His campaign at Championship level will be appealing to Kompany after the player notched three goals and assists apiece."

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Had this ealier what makes burnley a challenging at top championship? wba was suppose to be yet look at them huddersfield wouldn't be classed as challenging this season as was 20th last season where did they finish. .. dont go with this challenging part as championship is far to unpredictable to say least. At least man c know he developed under morison so less of a gamble than other clubs

Allan, probably because the type of players still in their team will be from the Prem etc and they want Doyle around them type?

It will be very interesting to see who he joins?

At the moment I would say we are currently way down the list, my strong view.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:34 pm

What can they possibly go off to suggest coming back here would be better - at this moment in time.

We've got not even half a squad and scrapping around relegation for most of last year.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:43 pm

nubbsy wrote:What can they possibly go off to suggest coming back here would be better - at this moment in time.

We've got not even half a squad and scrapping around relegation for most of last year.

A manager who improved him thats not in question is it? Also how many teams will look sane come start season Norwich? Mmm lots of out contract players there .... to early to judge what any team will look like. But who's to say what team will be challenging come middle of season ... who's to say city wont be near top huddersfield and Luton did it after poor previous season

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:55 pm

I personally cannot see Burnley challenging for promotion next season.

I have put together some stats listing the relegated Premier League sides (18th, 19th,20th) and in brackets where they finished in the Championship the following season.

2016/17 - Hull (18), Boro (5), Sunderland (24)
2017/18 - Swansea (10), Stoke (16), WBA (4)
2018/19 - Cardiff (5), Fulham (4P), Huddersfield (18)
2019/20 - Bournemouth (6), Watford (2P), Norwich (1P)
2020/21 - Fulham (1P), WBA (10), Sheff Utd (5)
2021/22 - Burnley, Watford, Norwich

One thing I noticed straight away is that, except for Fulham Watford or Norwich, every side has failed to get promoted the following season - and there are many instances where at least one team finishes 10th or lower.

It's also very rare for all 3 teams to do well the following season

So looking at the sides coming down, I think Watford and Norwich are the two sides to do well and Burnley would be my tip to finish 10th or lower.

An additional factor is Burnley's financial mess - this won't help.

I honestly think we are more likely to be challenging for promotion than Burnley.

Is this a fair reflection? Does anyone have any alternative views?

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:03 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I personally cannot see Burnley challenging for promotion next season.

I have put together some stats listing the relegated Premier League sides (18th, 19th,20th) and in brackets where they finished in the Championship the following season.

2016/17 - Hull (18), Boro (5), Sunderland (24)
2017/18 - Swansea (10), Stoke (16), WBA (4)
2018/19 - Cardiff (5), Fulham (4P), Huddersfield (18)
2019/20 - Bournemouth (6), Watford (2P), Norwich (1P)
2020/21 - Fulham (1P), WBA (10), Sheff Utd (5)
2021/22 - Burnley, Watford, Norwich

One thing I noticed straight away is that, except for Fulham Watford or Norwich, every side has failed to get promoted the following season - and there are many instances where at least one team finishes 10th or lower.

It's also very rare for all 3 teams to do well the following season

So looking at the sides coming down, I think Watford and Norwich are the two sides to do well and Burnley would be my tip to finish 10th or lower.

An additional factor is Burnley's financial mess - this won't help.

I honestly think we are more likely to be challenging for promotion than Burnley.

Is this a fair reflection? Does anyone have any alternative views?

Norwich got lots players out contract as well but tried make point previously that relegated clubs dont all do well in fact as you say st least one struggles and this season could be both Norwich and Burnley despite kompany being there. City I believe will do quite well obviously that depends on quality of replacement players but morison seems to know what he wants and way to do it.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:32 pm

Tommy was brilliant when he 1st joined us but the last 4-5 games I thought he was bang average

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:47 pm

wez1927 wrote:Tommy was brilliant when he 1st joined us but the last 4-5 games I thought he was bang average

I actually agree Wez.
Tbf he’d played a lot of games. He’d be a good signing but I wouldn’t be too bothered if he went elsewhere. Much prefer Drameh if it was a case of one or the other.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:39 pm

Agree Wes wouldn’t be disappointed if we didn’t get him either goes missing every game.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:53 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Tommy was brilliant when he 1st joined us but the last 4-5 games I thought he was bang average

I actually agree Wez.
Tbf he’d played a lot of games. He’d be a good signing but I wouldn’t be too bothered if he went elsewhere. Much prefer Drameh if it was a case of one or the other.

A bit harsh in Doyle, I think the games caught up with him but I do agree that I’d take Drameh over him every time.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:11 am

pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:What can they possibly go off to suggest coming back here would be better - at this moment in time.

A manager who improved him thats not in question is it? Also how many teams will look sane come start season Norwich? Mmm lots of out contract players there .... to early to judge what any team will look like. But who's to say what team will be challenging come middle of season ... who's to say city wont be near top huddersfield and Luton did it after poor previous season

You are right Allan, it's hard to say but maybe they've looked at their squad and style and prefer it to ours. Plus Kompany being there now goes in their favour.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:12 am

piledriver64 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I actually agree Wez.

A bit harsh in Doyle, I think the games caught up with him but I do agree that I’d take Drameh over him every time.

I agree with this, he worked his socks off week in week out and he started to tire. The kid is quality and he's got the grit for this division too.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 am

nubbsy wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I actually agree Wez.

I agree with this, he worked his socks off week in week out and he started to tire. The kid is quality and he's got the grit for this division too.

I don’t disagree, he did put his all into every game but as you say, he tired in the later games. If we did sign him imo we couldn’t play him in all the games.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:32 am

Dylan Levitt would be a better option, let’s get more Welsh players into the Capital of Wales! Wes Burns also looks a good prospect and is another Cardiff boy we rejected at 16!

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:56 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:Dylan Levitt would be a better option, let’s get more Welsh players into the Capital of Wales! Wes Burns also looks a good prospect and is another Cardiff boy we rejected at 16!

Wes Burns will be 28 this year and just had his best year as a pro Nothing before that really looks that great