Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City step up efforts to sign Gareth Bale "

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Monday 6th June

By Rob Phillips, BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Cardiff City are stepping up their efforts to pull off the improbable signing of Wales captain Gareth Bale.

Bluebirds chairman Mehmet Dalman has flown into the United Kingdom to lead negotiations.

Bale, 32, is available on a free transfer having left Real Madrid after nine years in Spain, during which he won five Champions League titles.

On Sunday, his deflected free-kick secured Wales' 1-0 win over Ukraine and a place at the World Cup in Qatar.

A return to Tottenham or a move to a Major League Soccer club in the United States have also been mooted as possible options as Bale looks to round off his stellar career.

But Championship club Cardiff are also in the picture.

Bale was born in Cardiff but, having had spells at Southampton, Tottenham and Real Madrid, he has never played club football in Wales.

Cardiff are seen as an option because Bale's primary consideration is to lead Wales in their first World Cup for 64 years.

But Cardiff are looking beyond Qatar in November and December. They hope that offering Bale the chance to lead them back into the Premier League will be a driving factor behind him signing a contract even beyond the 2022-23 season.

Financially, Cardiff are up against it. At Real, Bale earned £600,000 per week, more than the weekly wage bill of Cardiff's first-team squad.

But Bale is believed to be open to taking a significant pay cut, while the move would have massive marketing appeal for the club.

Cardiff are refusing to comment.

Before the Ukraine game, Bale said he was only focusing on the World Cup play-off final but, asked about his club options, he smiled and said he had "loads".

Re: " Cardiff City step up efforts to sign Gareth Bale "

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:19 pm

Bale would also have a massive marketing appeal for potential new owners too, a big selling point. Nice to see Mehmet flying back, he must sense a photo opportunity like all politicians.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Dalman flown in to lead negotiations?? Dont make me laugh.

Bale himself will lead negotiations, Dalman wants to be seen to have been involved. Take some of the plaudits.

Mr politician, I am hoping that with these proposed negotiations with potential new owners, that you are out on your ear never to darken the doors of our great club again

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:38 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:Bale would also have a massive marketing appeal for potential new owners too, a big selling point. Nice to see Mehmet flying back, he must sense a photo opportunity like all politicians.

His personal life has got a big say in things as we saw one of his children was on pitch with him... he will not want to be away in usa that's for sure also only city offer him part time football ? Money would only be the main attraction for club wanting him city no exception....but not for GB himself .

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Dalman flown in to lead negotiations?? Dont make me laugh.

Bale himself will lead negotiations, Dalman wants to be seen to have been involved. Take some of the plaudits.

Mr politician, I am hoping that with these proposed negotiations with potential new owners, that you are out on your ear never to darken the doors of our great club again

You’re literally never happy are you? Who do you want Bale talking to when he arrives? The people providing tea and biscuits?

Dalman gets stick he doesn’t care enough about the club and now he’ll get stick for doing his job :roll:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:51 pm

Large Arge wrote:

You’re literally never happy are you? Who do you want Bale talking to when he arrives? The people providing tea and biscuits?

Dalman gets stick he doesn’t care enough about the club and now he’ll get stick for doing his job :roll:

Can hate dalman to hearts content but ultimately he has to do the negotiating as hes clubs representative in uk ... GB can state his terms and conditions for joining club and what's acceptable to him.....but Dalman as to say yes or no after taking what tan wants to do... to think otherwise is plain stupid

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:08 pm

Could take awhile to sort as we cant offer a good wage, guessing part of shirt sales and maybe 5% of gate receipts etc

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:11 pm

Logie wrote:Could take awhile to sort as we cant offer a good wage, guessing part of shirt sales and maybe 5% of gate receipts etc

Yeah won't take that long then. :lol:

Barnett : " can you offer Bale 100k a week"
Cardiff: " no"

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:13 pm

What's there to talk about.

Thought it was a done deal if Wales qualified.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Maybe part of his wages in shares?

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 pm

wez1927 wrote:Maybe part of his wages in shares?

What percentage of sales he will get :thumbup:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:42 pm

Maybe do what Derby did with Rooney and have a third party “sponsor “his wages?

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:53 pm

billy ronson wrote:Maybe do what Derby did with Rooney and have a third party “sponsor “his wages?

That could bea distinct possibility as long as it's not classed as 3rd part ownership which is against rules... I think derby ran into this problem he was sponsored by bet 32 but they said he was employed as coach but in fact played more than he coached so broke rules ...

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:59 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:Bale would also have a massive marketing appeal for potential new owners too, a big selling point. Nice to see Mehmet flying back, he must sense a photo opportunity like all politicians.

That’s exactly what I thought….it’s up to Bale to decide isn’t it not a car salesman….if he wants to come I’m sure he will let us know.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:02 pm

It’s not just Bale :thumbup:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:06 pm

Thursday he will sign for us apparently

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:23 pm

wez1927 wrote:Thursday he will sign for us apparently

Where you seen that mate?

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:23 pm

M4 Exile wrote:It’s not just Bale :thumbup:

Do you mean as in another player aswell?

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:38 pm

This other player Welsh and all by any chance......

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:41 pm

Large Arge wrote:

This troll is now getting beyond pathetic.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Wayne S wrote:What's there to talk about.

Thought it was a done deal if Wales qualified.

Obviously a few fine details to be sorted, as with all transfers.

All I'd say is I trust information from Rob Phillips more than from the majority of other journalists.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:43 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:This other player Welsh and all by any chance......

Good news for fans of 1980s action films :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm

M4 Exile wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:This other player Welsh and all by any chance......

Good news for fans of 1980s action films :ayatollah:

So we're signing Dai Hard? :shock:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Large Arge wrote:

This troll is now getting beyond pathetic.

If (big if) we do sign Bale I’m very intrigued how Barclay will spin it as a negative against “the regime”

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:57 pm

It is 100% true Gareth Bale will be only coming to Cardiff City on all his terms and I have to be honest we have to be very grateful that he comes to us, as we can’t even ford to buy a league two player never mind a world star.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:58 pm

:bluebird:
Absolutely, this can only help us :bluebird:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:03 pm

Large Arge wrote:

I 100% back Lee on this, Dalman & Glen Williams/ media wales ,made out he was the negotiator in the Sam Hammam that got finished once on for all. He virtually had nothing to do with it, Sam does not Spk to Dalman and to Sam and me we call him an no end off.

Boris in disguise

Seriously Dalman has to look like he is the one doing all this, it was Bales team that contacted Cardiff City and it’s All Bales way or No way.

And we shall go along with Bales way :bluebird:

Give it a rest why dont you...

Whatever I'd post, you'd just turn it into a negative. The previous poster to my initial post, suggested Dalman was flying in for a photo oportunity, why not criticise their post which in essence was the same as mine?

So you guys all think Dalman is doing a great job? If Bale signs, a big if, but lets hope it might become reality, it'll be in spite of Tan and Dalman not because of them.

You show me zero respect, but Ill keep posting my thoughts as a Cardiff fan.

Large Arge wrote:

I 100% back Lee on this, Dalman & Glen Williams/ media wales ,made out he was the negotiator in the Sam Hammam that got finished once on for all. He virtually had nothing to do with it, Sam does not Spk to Dalman and to Sam and me we call him an no end off.

Boris in disguise

Seriously Dalman has to look like he is the one doing all this, it was Bales team that contacted Cardiff City and it’s All Bales way or No way.

And we shall go along with Bales way :bluebird:

Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:20 pm

Annis I wonder if there is any truth in this

IMG-20220606-WA0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.