Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We never wanted Callum O'Dowda

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:26 am

I read in Media Wales that us jacks were interested in Callum O'Dowda, we looked at his his record,nothing more as he was a free agent, he has big problems with his knee and it keeps reacuring, so we moved on

Re: We never wanted Callum O'Dowda

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 am

Thanks for letting us know.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:39 am

Well you might be right as Glen Williams continues to put out stuff that looks like once again came from Dalman.

We will back the player and who knows he might be a bargain and injury free.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:08 am

Proud Jack wrote:I read in Media Wales that us jacks were interested in Callum O'Dowda, we looked at his his record,nothing more as he was a free agent, he has big problems with his knee and it keeps reacuring, so we moved on

Tough decisions for your board every year, Cadillac or player Cadillac or player, oh sod it lets change the Cadillac again, he's too expensive, and those dopes won't notice, tell them he wasn't good enough for us and has a dodgy knee :lol:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:21 am

I have to say when I read Glen Williams comment on who we were up against for O'Dowda's signature it smacked of Dalman spin.

The regime treat the supporters like mushrooms. The quicker they are gone the better for all concerned.

There are certain positives and certain negatives with this signing, but he has signed, is a Bluebird, and lets hope the form he showed to get his International caps is evident and he remains to a greater extent injury free.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:41 am

Barclay1 wrote:I have to say when I read Glen Williams comment on who we were up against for O'Dowda's signature it smacked of Dalman spin.

The regime treat the supporters like mushrooms. The quicker they are gone the better for all concerned.

There are certain positives and certain negatives with this signing, but he has signed, is a Bluebird, and lets hope the form he showed to get his International caps is evident and he remains to a greater extent injury free.

From Planet swans fans comments -
The issue I have is the deal with us was apparently very close, but he ended up going elsewhere, I think it’s another one owners wouldn’t sign up off like we saw in January. Playing catch up come start of July.

I’m hoping it was for playing factors etc surely he wouldn’t turn down Sheffield for Cardiff? I don’t rate him anyway, but do think it’s going to be a bumpy summer for us.

Not sure about Sheffield but the deal was close with us and we haven’t got it over the line, and beat to the signature by an apparently broke Cardiff.

Yeah it does seem we literally have nothing to offer in terms of wages, there’s a decent free market out there aswell with the likes of Kane Wilson & Kasumu both who I think would be great for us.

Seems we are relying on the big Joel Piroe sale, but I can’t see any clubs offering 15-20M on him.

He signed for the scum because he wants to play along side Bale innit. Anyway most fans here must be happy we are living within our means.

They wanted him and they thought they were close to signing him !.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:02 am

Proud Jack wrote:I read in Media Wales that us jacks were interested in Callum O'Dowda, we looked at his his record,nothing more as he was a free agent, he has big problems with his knee and it keeps reacuring, so we moved on

Cheers mate, what about the signings you have made this summer? Excited about any of them?

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:42 am

Is average 30 games a season for them classed as injury prone now? Ss always said one man's failure is another man's success Plus will we play him same way as Bristol? Think need to wait before passing judgement on him .. as fo them down m4 putting nose in bit early as they may well lose some of best players before start season.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:02 am

Why the animosity?

There's a good chance that he only chose us over Swansea and Sheff due to travel.

As he is on lesser wages it would be good that he probably does not have to move.

No need to justify yourself.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:17 am

I never ever agree with a Jack, But I have searched and searched and other than Glen Williams , Dalmans PA , Sheffield United or Swansea never offered Callum O’Dowda a contract.
I think we are completely being sold down the river on the reports the last year or so by him.
Last season he made out we had 10-12 Stars coming through all at once and built them all up beyond.

The only reports on O’Dowda are all via Glen Williams only.

Yes a few years ago he was a class player, let’s hope that returns asap.

Yes he played 160 games in 6 years but each season it got less.
In his day he was quality , let’s really hope it returns, but 3yr contract? Do we ever learn??

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:I never ever agree with a Jack, But I have searched and searched and other than Glen Williams , Dalmans PA , Sheffield United or Swansea never offered Callum O’Dowda a contract.
I think we are completely being sold down the river on the reports the last year or so by him.
Last season he made out we had 10-12 Stars coming through all at once and built them all up beyond.

Plenty of the mob over at PlanetSwans seem to believe he turned them down. Some of them seem ITK too.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:33 am

Large Arge wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I never ever agree with a Jack, But I have searched and searched and other than Glen Williams , Dalmans PA , Sheffield United or Swansea never offered Callum O’Dowda a contract.

Plenty of the mob over at PlanetSwans seem to believe he turned them down. Some of them seem ITK too.

The only reporter to say it is Williams and all reports from all papers say it came from him.
I really hope we have a bargain and a class player and we beat all these other clubs for him, but I know who gives Williams his stories , MR MP :lol:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:38 am

Don't be too sad Jack you were one of 7 clubs he could have gone too, thats why it took so long but our Manager Morison was an important factor :thumbup: Move on and find someone cheaper or a player that would be happy to live out in the sticks at a small club with no facilities or infrastructure, you can teach him to do the swimaway for your World Cup final, I would go for a performing seal!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... er-7181849

Bristol Live previously revealed how Cardiff were among SEVEN CLUBS chasing the Republic of Ireland international and had offered him a deal around a month ago. O'Dowda was keen to weigh up his options before making a decision on his future, confirmed by manager Steve Morison.

Speaking of his move, O'Dowda admitted he is ready to prove his ability as he hits his prime. Reported on Cardiff's official site, he said: "I’m delighted. It’s been a long process, from meeting the gaffer and going around the training ground, to actually putting pen to paper.

“The intent and the passion the manager showed, and also the business that the club has been doing in the transfer window, was something that I want to be part of.

“I’m at a stage in my career where I’m hungry, I want to achieve as much as I can, and I feel as though I could be hitting my prime now. So, it’s all about kicking on with the right team, the right manager and a fantastic club.”

Manager Morison added: "It’s been a long pursuit. We made contact a while back, he had a lot of options and he chose us at the end of it, so it’s credit to all the hard work that everybody has put in.

“He fits the bill in all departments. He brings that quality in the final third, and he’s a really good athlete. He can score goals, he can make goals, and we’ve just got to get the best out of him.

“I showed him the plan, explained how he would fit into that plan, and showed him what we want to do. We want players who want to be here and be part of it, and I’m really pleased to have him on board.”

News of the deal came just hours after O'Dowda posted a farewell message to supporters on Instagram. He wrote: "My time at Bristol City has come to an end and I am so thankful I was able to represent this club.

He fell out of favour under manager Nigel Pearson in the second half of last season, having made 16 league starts throughout the course of the campaign. His last appearance came in a 19-minute cameo against Reading when he was forced off injured during City's 2-1 victory.

His last start was in the 3-1 defeat away at Blackpool in which he was taken off at half-time on February 5th, in which Pearson criticised certain individuals in the side for making the same errors. From then on, it felt as though the writing was on the wall for O'Dowda.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:52 am

Barclay1 wrote:I have to say when I read Glen Williams comment on who we were up against for O'Dowda's signature it smacked of Dalman spin.

Quote from Morrison and we all know it took a few weeks for him to review his options, even after a few weeks he came back to us, Morison seems to build good relationships with players at interview and sells the club to them, Doyle, Drameh and many others prove this, well done Steve Morison, now go and get Bale and Ramsey :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Cardiff manager Steve Morison added on the club website: "It's been a long pursuit. We made contact a while back, he had a lot of options and he chose us at the end of it, so it's credit to all the hard work that everybody has put in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61737951

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Who gives a feck who those inbred jerks want! :banghead: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:13 pm

Thank you for taking time out of your day to come on here and tell us that :lol: