Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What Bristol City Fans think & thought Callum O’Dowda

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:43 am

Bristol City Fans on Callum O’Dowda after Bristol City release O’Dowda and don’t take up the option to keep him on another year.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... -official/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What Bristol City Fans think & thought Callum O’Dowda

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227983 :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:12 am

Forever Blue wrote:Bristol City Fans on Callum O’Dowda after Bristol City release O’Dowda and don’t take up the option to keep him on another year.

Not massively inspiring comments there but hopefully he comes here with a point to prove. :bluescarf:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:12 am

I have a work colleague who is a fairly sensible Bristol City fan. He says that O’Dowda can be a match winner on his day, but his days aren’t frequent enough. If he can stay fit for a few months at a time, he may yet still be a useful acquisition. Unfortunately, in the last couple of seasons, there haven’t been many periods without injury

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:20 am

Give him a chance, but injury plagued. Hopefully the contract is sensible and we don't pay out unnecessary wages. Lessons Learned. :bluescarf:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 am

Reply FB:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:30 am

bluebird58 wrote:I have a work colleague who is a fairly sensible Bristol City fan. He says that O’Dowda can be a match winner on his day, but his days aren’t frequent enough. If he can stay fit for a few months at a time, he may yet still be a useful acquisition. Unfortunately, in the last couple of seasons, there haven’t been many periods without injury

A friend a hardcore Bristol City fan just rang me about him, said he was once one of their best players, last couple of years has all gone wrong for him, but if he can rediscover that , then he will do really well.
Just shocked about the 3yr contract ?
Remember how we have been down that road so many times.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:03 am

O'Dowda's Championship starts for Bristol City:

2016/17 - 15
2017/18 - 13
2018/19 - 20
2019/20 - 17
2020/21 - 14
2021/22 - 16

Basically, an average of 16 league starts a season during six years at Ashton Gate.

His Championship goal tallies during the same period:

2016/17 - 0
2017/18 - 1 (against Cardiff)
2018/19 - 4
2019/20 - 1
2020/21 - 1
2021/22 - 1

Let's be honest, Bristol City have been far from good during the last six years and O'Dowda apparently couldn't hold down a place in their starting line-up

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Disaster written all over it, not good enough for those west country kents but good enough for us, my opinion only but Morison desperate for players. Yes I have renewed I hope he proves me wrong but looking at those appearance stats for Brizzle it does not fill me with hope that he is available the whole season before we have even started. :bluebird:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:38 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:Give him a chance, but injury plagued. Hopefully the contract is sensible and we don't pay out unnecessary wages. Lessons Learned. :bluescarf:

Spot On .

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:58 am

Respect that one said Whitts was the best player to grace the Championship for most of his career.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:53 pm

Thats what you get for free signing.
This is a disappointing signing.
Another drain on the club.

Please hope I'm wrong though

Good luck to him.Dont take the piss Mr O D.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:02 pm

barnet blue wrote:O'Dowda's Championship starts for Bristol City:

2016/17 - 15
2017/18 - 13
2018/19 - 20
2019/20 - 17
2020/21 - 14
2021/22 - 16

Basically, an average of 16 league starts a season during six years at Ashton Gate.

2016/17 - 0
2018/19 - 4
2019/20 - 1
2020/21 - 1
2021/22 - 1

Let's be honest, Bristol City have been far from good during the last six years and O'Dowda apparently couldn't hold down a place in their starting line-up

Begs question if not that good and not worthy of starting place why did they not sell him? He obviously wasnt given 6yr contract so plenty of opportunity to get rid ... our squad was full of players who couldn't hold down 1st team place .. what i will say maybe our new style play will suit him plus a run of games will help his confidence...

Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:03 am

pembroke allan wrote:

2016/17 - 15
2017/18 - 13
2018/19 - 20
2019/20 - 17
2020/21 - 14
2021/22 - 16

2016/17 - 0
2018/19 - 4
2019/20 - 1
2020/21 - 1
2021/22 - 1

Begs question if not that good and not worthy of starting place why did they not sell him? He obviously wasnt given 6yr contract so plenty of opportunity to get rid ... our squad was full of players who couldn't hold down 1st team place .. what i will say maybe our new style play will suit him plus a run of games will help his confidence...

Spot on Allan. I don’t understand why so many of our fans never give new players a chance before they even kick a ball for us. I’ve seen players play for a team and it doesn’t work out and then for the next team he’s a world beater. I personally feel that O’Dowda will be great for us. I always give players a chance and never write them off before they’ve kicked a ball.
I’m really looking forward to the new season :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:35 am

We have to back him eitherway but as the stats prove it won't be long he will be on the sideline sadly. :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:35 am

pembroke allan wrote:

2016/17 - 15
2017/18 - 13
2018/19 - 20
2019/20 - 17
2020/21 - 14
2021/22 - 16

2016/17 - 0
2018/19 - 4
2019/20 - 1
2020/21 - 1
2021/22 - 1

Exactly. Plenty of players move on and do well at new clubs. That change if scenery is often what's needed. Good luck to him. He chose us over many others, he's got my support.

Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 am

I completely understand why some people are nervous or underwhelmed by us signing O'Dowda, but here is why I think it is a smart signing.

While we have a recent history of signing players who were injury prone or just bad fits and on huge wages, I believe this is a different kind of signing. Morison is more diligent than any manager we have ever had when it comes to signing players. Morison has a chance to shape the squad on one of the smallest budgets we have ever had in the championship. He cannot afford to take too many gambles. Speaking to a coach at city, he said that the level of effort in scouting, monitoring, medicals and personal background of players is the best the club has never experienced before.

Morison is convinced that Dowda is a risk worth taking and will be managed well. He has a good level of championship experience, is the right age (he's just turned 27) and if he can remain fit, he can offer us great pace and guile.

So let's see. I remember many of us were underwhelmed when Bothroyd signed for us and I see some similarities between Bothroyd and O'Dowda signings... Jay didn't turn out too badly!

Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:39 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:I completely understand why some people are nervous or underwhelmed by us signing O'Dowda, but here is why I think it is a smart signing.

While we have a recent history of signing players who were injury prone or just bad fits and on huge wages, I believe this is a different kind of signing. Morison is more diligent than any manager we have ever had when it comes to signing players. Morison has a chance to shape the squad on one of the smallest budgets we have ever had in the championship. He cannot afford to take too many gambles. Speaking to a coach at city, he said that the level of effort in scouting, monitoring, medicals and personal background of players is the best the club has never experienced before.

Morison is convinced that Dowda is a risk worth taking and will be managed well. He has a good level of championship experience, is the right age (he's just turned 27) and if he can remain fit, he can offer us great pace and guile.

So let's see. I remember many of us were underwhelmed when Bothroyd signed for us and I see some similarities between Bothroyd and O'Dowda signings... Jay didn't turn out too badly!

I agree with this, especially the due dilligence of Morison. Some of the crocks we have signed in the past are mainly because the "then" manager had an affinity with them e.g. Warnock & Vassell.

Morison is a completely different manager, young, modern, vibrant and determined. When you factor in he is working under the most stringent of budgets, the lowest we have seen for many, many years, he gets the benefit of any doubt in my mind.

As AB states, he cannot take too many gambles, but I agree this a gamble that is worth taking as the odds are in our favour. 27 is a good age, championship experience, proven to be a quality player on his day and, under Morison's stewardship, his training and game time will be managed correctly. :bluebird:

Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 am

TheHangedMan wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:I completely understand why some people are nervous or underwhelmed by us signing O'Dowda, but here is why I think it is a smart signing.

I agree with this, especially the due dilligence of Morison. Some of the crocks we have signed in the past are mainly because the "then" manager had an affinity with them e.g. Warnock & Vassell.

Morison is a completely different manager, young, modern, vibrant and determined. When you factor in he is working under the most stringent of budgets, the lowest we have seen for many, many years, he gets the benefit of any doubt in my mind.

As AB states, he cannot take too many gambles, but I agree this a gamble that is worth taking as the odds are in our favour. 27 is a good age, championship experience, proven to be a quality player on his day and, under Morison's stewardship, his training and game time will be managed correctly. :bluebird:

Agreed.

You get the impression that Morison doesn't do 'dodgy' deals with 'preferred' agents and is 100% down-the-line and honest.. maybe to a fault when he comes out with some stuff!

As much as we loved Warnocks Motivation and passion, he was dodgy when it came to transfers.

No such concern with Morison.

Additionally, the club are investing more now on sports scientists and medical staff and processes than ever before.

But let's see.