Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 am

Steve Morison:

On Callum O’Dowda, 6 years at Ashton Gate , 160 Appearances / 8 Goals:

“We made contact a while back, he had a lot of options and he chose us at the end of it, so it’s credit to all the hard work that everybody has put in.”

“He fits the bill in all departments. He brings that quality in the final third, and he’s a really good athlete. He can score goals, he can make goals, and we’ve just got to get the best out of him.

“I showed him the plan, explained how he would fit into that plan, and showed him what we want to do. We want players who want to be here and be part of it, and I’m really pleased to have him on board.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steve Morison:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:02 am

Less than 40 appearances in the last 2 seasons does not help to make a good impression on a new fan base.

Statistically as well he is lacking with a handful of goals and assists. Plus only 160 Championship appearances in 6 seasons, 95 of which he was in the starting 11, which indicates that he only started in roughly third of the games played by Bristol over that period. Again this doesn't help to make a good impression of what O'Dowda can bring to Cardiff.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:04 am

Ninian27 wrote:Less than 40 appearances in the last 2 seasons does not help to make a good impression on a new fan base.

Statistically as well he is lacking with a handful of goals and assists. Plus only 160 Championship appearances in 6 seasons, 95 of which he was in the starting 11, which indicates that he only started in roughly third of the games played by Bristol over that period. Again this doesn't help to make a good impression of what O'Dowda can bring to Cardiff.

Morison knows a player and was patient waiting for him and gave him a three year contract, based on that i'll give him a chance, he must have something to offer :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:05 am

Concerning when Morison says he can score goals and create goals… has he actually done his research this time? :lol:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:Concerning when Morison says he can score goals and create goals… has he actually done his research this time? :lol:

Averages just over a goal and an assist a season :lol:
I think Morison believes in his own hype

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:Steve Morison:

On Callum O’Dowda, 6 years at Ashton Gate , 160 Appearances / 8 Goals:

“We made contact a while back, he had a lot of options and he chose us at the end of it, so it’s credit to all the hard work that everybody has put in.”

“He fits the bill in all departments. He brings that quality in the final third, and he’s a really good athlete. He can score goals, he can make goals, and we’ve just got to get the best out of him.

“I showed him the plan, explained how he would fit into that plan, and showed him what we want to do. We want players who want to be here and be part of it, and I’m really pleased to have him on board.”

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/06 ... r-targett/

Republic of Ireland midfielder Callum O'Dowda has joined Cardiff City on a three-year deal.

The 27-year-old has spent the past six seasons with Bristol City, making 176 appearances and scoring ten goals for the Robins.

O'Dowda has 23 international caps to his name but he's found it difficult to break into Stephen Kenny's plans. He is not part of the current Nations League squad and hasn't pulled on the green shirt since featuring against Wales in November 2020.

"I'm delighted," O'Dowda said after signign for the Championship club.

"It’s been a long process, from meeting the gaffer and going around the training ground, to actually putting pen to paper.

"The intent and the passion the manager showed, and also the business that the club has been doing in the transfer window, was something that I want to be part of.

"I’m at a stage in my career where I’m hungry, I want to achieve as much as I can, and I feel as though I could be hitting my prime now. So, it’s all about kicking on with the right team, the right manager and a fantastic club."

Also Leeds sign a right back - a better chance of us getting Cody Drameh back now :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Leeds have signed Denmark defender Rasmus Kristensen from RB Salzburg.

The Premier League club have announced the 24-year-old has agreed a five-year deal at Elland Road and will officially join them on 1 July.

Kristensen is Leeds' second signing of the summer transfer window following the capture of Brenden Aaronson, also from the Austrian side.

Leeds have not disclosed the fee paid for the right-back but reports have suggested it to be around £8.5m.

Coach Jesse Marsch, who worked with the player during his time at Salzburg, told the club's website: "Rasmus is a player who developed a lot over the last three years.

"He established himself at Red Bull Salzburg as one of their best players, a very good Champions League full-back, and a Danish international.

"I am totally convinced that he will continue to grow into a great Premier League full-back as well."

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:10 am

Bluebina wrote:
Ninian27 wrote:Less than 40 appearances in the last 2 seasons does not help to make a good impression on a new fan base.

Morison knows a player and was patient waiting for him and gave him a three year contract, based on that i'll give him a chance, he must have something to offer :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Every manager need players that will fit into their plans he obviously fits into morisons plans... maybe he didnt at Bristol? 20 games played was this because he wasn't picked for rest or was he injured for 26games?? Are People highlighting games not played but without knowing if he was injured or simply not picked in them. :roll:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:45 am

Morison is not telling the truth.
Callum O'Dowda stats
2021-22 20 games 1 goals 0 assist
2020-21 19 games 1 goals 1 assist
2019-20 32 games 1 goals 1 assist
2018-19 31 games 4 goals 4 assists
2017-18 24 games 1 goals 3 assist
2016-17 34 games 0 goals 1 assist

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:22 pm

The guy deserves a chance before being written off, at least we are signing players that are not in their 30’s on bigger contracts, I think Morrison can really turn Cardiff’s whole transfer structure around, in the last 20 years I could count on one hand how many players we have sold for actual profit, not that that is what it’s all about but when you look at our debts we have to be better in our transfer department. O’Dowda might end up being a flop or could be half decent for us, but at least we haven’t paid any transfer fee and I’d imagine he would be on less money than Bacuna or Murphy and let’s be honest neither of them done much at Cardiff.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:37 pm

Wardy64 wrote:Morison is not telling the truth.
Callum O'Dowda stats
2021-22 20 games 1 goals 0 assist
2020-21 19 games 1 goals 1 assist
2019-20 32 games 1 goals 1 assist
2018-19 31 games 4 goals 4 assists
2017-18 24 games 1 goals 3 assist
2016-17 34 games 0 goals 1 assist

Yep he's not here as a striker................

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:34 pm

People need to remember that not all signings are going to be regular first team players and we have to get the numbers up in our squad.

He is a good age and also has experience, which is crucial in the dressing room.

Not costing much either so it's a sensible signing.

We didn't have a big budget so signings like this are what people should expect.

The possibility of Bale and/or Ramsey signing seems to have lifted people's expectations on other signings to unrealistic levels.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:27 pm

ScottBluebird wrote:The guy deserves a chance before being written off, at least we are signing players that are not in their 30’s on bigger contracts, I think Morrison can really turn Cardiff’s whole transfer structure around, in the last 20 years I could count on one hand how many players we have sold for actual profit, not that that is what it’s all about but when you look at our debts we have to be better in our transfer department. O’Dowda might end up being a flop or could be half decent for us, but at least we haven’t paid any transfer fee and I’d imagine he would be on less money than Bacuna or Murphy and let’s be honest neither of them done much at Cardiff.

Brilliant first line mate.

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:26 pm

Good Luck to the Lad .

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 am

Was anyone really excited with the Mendez-Laing transfer at the time?

Give O’Dowda a chance, he’s played at a good level for a few years and I have to say, during his early days at Bristol City I used to hate seeing his name on the TS against us. Like some previous posters have mentioned, we need numbers in at the moment, if Morison had said “he’s going to start every game and be our main attacking threat” then I’d be worried, but he hasn’t and I’m sure he’s got a plan of where he wants to play him. Look at Doughty on the right wing towards the end of last season, can see O’Dowda doing that role really well.