Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City announce retained list "

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:09 am

Cardiff City FC can confirm that a retained players list has been submitted to the EFL.

Eight members of the First Team squad will depart Cardiff City Stadium this summer. Leandro Bacuna, Ciaron Brown, Aden Flint, Josh Murphy, Marlon Pack, Alex Smithies, Isaac Vassell and Will Vaulks will leave the Club at the conclusion of their agreements on June 30th, 2022.

Ahead of submission, contracts were offered to Joe Ralls, George Ratcliffe, Caleb Hughes, Jac Clay, James Crole and Aidan MacNamara.

Sean Morrison will continue his rehabilitation from injury with the Bluebirds.

The full 2021/22 retained list can be found below:

2021/22 Retained List

Retained First Team

Joel Bagan
James Collins
Rubin Colwill
Isaak Davies
Oliver Denham
Kieron Evans
Mark Harris
Eli King
Rohan Luthra
Mark McGuinness
Curtis Nelson
Perry Ng
Dillon Phillips
Tom Sang
Jai Semenyo
Max Watters
Gavin Whyte
Ryan Wintle
Chanka Zimba

Departing First Team

Leandro Bacuna
Ciaron Brown
Aden Flint
Josh Murphy
Marlon Pack
Alex Smithies
Isaac Vassell

Retained U23s

Cian Ashford
James Connolly
Tom Davies
Taylor Jones
Ryan Kavanagh
Jack Leahy
Owen Pritchard
Matthew Turner

Departing U23s

Ibrahim Bakare
Tavio D'Almeida
Siyabonga Ligendza
Ntazana Mayembe
Keenan Patten

Retained scholars

Joel Colwill
Adam Coomer
Jacob Dennis
Isaac Jefferies
Callum Jones
Tana Jones
Joseph Keeping
Kyle Kenniford
Morgan Lewis
Lewys Ware
Morgan Wigley

Departing scholars

Benjamin Coley
Joshua Rippon
Rhys Schwank

We’d like to take this opportunity to thank all departing players and scholars for their contributions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Cardiff City announce retained list "

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am

Thanks, Ned... :ayatollah:

Not many surprises there and seems like the 'new broom' is being well used

Will Vaulks is the only real disappointment with a few being 'thank goodness'

I was told George Ratcliffe was on his way, so interested to see how that onevpans out :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:39 am

Massive wages cut there .

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:56 am

On the whole I'm happy with that, maybe apart from Vaulks!

Onwards and upwards! :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:58 am

The last departing scholar has an unfortunate name!

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:25 pm

I’m a bit disappointed that Will Vaulks hasn’t been offered at least a 2 year reduced term contract.
Other than that I’m quite happy.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Bluebina wrote:The last departing scholar has an unfortunate name!

:lol: :shock:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:38 pm

Ahead of submission, contracts were offered to Joe Ralls, George Ratcliffe, Caleb Hughes, Jac Clay, James Crole and Aidan MacNamara.

Sean Morrison will continue his rehabilitation from injury with the Bluebirds.

The full 2021/22 retained list can be found below:

2021/22 Retained List

First Team

Joel Bagan, James Collins, Rubin Colwill, Isaak Davies, Oliver Denham, Kieron Evans, Mark Harris, Eli King, Rohan Luthra, Mark McGuinness, Curtis Nelson, Perry Ng, Dillon Phillips, Tom Sang, Jai Semenyo, Max Watters, Gavin Whyte, Ryan Wintle, Chanka Zimba.

Retained U23s

Cian Ashford, James Connolly, Tom Davies, Taylor Jones, Ryan Kavanagh, Jack Leahy, Owen Pritchard, Matthew Turner.

Departing U23s

Ibrahim Bakare, Tavio D'Almeida, Siyabonga Ligendza, Ntazana Mayembe, Keenan Patten.

Retained scholars

Joel Colwill, Adam Coomer, Jacob Dennis, Isaac Jefferies, Callum Jones, Tana Jones, Joseph Keeping, Kyle Kenniford, Morgan Lewis, Lewys Ware, Morgan Wigley.

Departing scholars

Benjamin Coley, Joshua Rippon, Rhys Schwank.

We’d like to take this opportunity to thank all departing players and scholars for their contributions.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Joe Ralls, George Ratcliffe, Caleb Hughes, Jac Clay, James Crole and Aidan MacNamara.

Have ALL been offered new contracts ahead of next season.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:41 pm

Sven wrote:Thanks, Ned... :ayatollah:

I was told George Ratcliffe was on his way, so interested to see how that onevpans out :ayatollah:

Completely agree mate, no surprises apart from Vaulks. Good to see both Morrison and Phillips staying too, these was talk of the latter potentially being sold and the former I think would have been a real loss, I hope he's making progress on that ACL. I hope Ralls signs his contract and I just wonder if Ratcliffe's delay is maybe that he has to consider a move that would get him regular mens football, as he's now 4th choice?

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Thank you for your contribution or lack or it.
Whichever may apply.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Ralls and Vaulks not on retained list but also not on the leaving list either ??????????

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Igovernor wrote:Ralls and Vaulks not on retained list but also not on the leaving list either ??????????

The official club statement says Ralls has been offered a new contract so must still be considering it, no idea what the sticking point is though, probably money, who knows?. It also says Vaulks will leave the club on June 30th.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/20 ... ained-list

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Sven wrote:Thanks, Ned... :ayatollah:

Thanks Ned,

Yes I was told exactly the same , they even offered Ratcliffe to Newport County.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 pm

I would have released 4 more!

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:19 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:Good to see both Morrison and Phillips staying too, these was talk of the latter potentially being sold and the former I think would have been a real loss, I hope he's making progress on that ACL. I hope Ralls signs his contract

Remember the retained list writes itself. It is every player still under contract. They could still be sold if a club wants them.

So Dillon Phillips could still be sold.

As for Morrison, had he not been injured he would have either appeared on the released list or with Ralls awaiting to see if he signed a contract.

Morrison could still be released as soon as he is fit.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:19 pm

arri potta wrote:I would have released 4 more!

You can only release those out of contract.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Wayne S wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:Good to see both Morrison and Phillips staying too, these was talk of the latter potentially being sold and the former I think would have been a real loss, I hope he's making progress on that ACL. I hope Ralls signs his contract

Remember the retained list writes itself. It is every player still under contract. They could still be sold if a club wants them.

So Dillon Phillips could still be sold.

As for Morrison, had he not been injured he would have either appeared on the released list or with Ralls awaiting to see if he signed a contract.

Morrison could still be released as soon as he is fit.

Yes of course, those currently considering a contract could still leave but it was rumoured that Phillips was unhappy by being potentially number 2 to Alnwick, so I'm pleased he's not actually confirmed as leaving at this stage.

Regarding Morrison, I believe that he could have been released whilst being injured and especially if he didn't figure in SM's plans, we'll see I guess but I hope he makes a quick recovery and is indeed part of SM's project.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:32 pm

They said on radio not offered contract but will stay until his rehab is completed... sounds like he wont be staying long term.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Ate we seriously hanging onto collins and how many chances does watters get before the penny drops that he could' nt hit a barn door with a shovel

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:53 pm

montyblue wrote:Ate we seriously hanging onto collins and how many chances does watters get before the penny drops that he could' nt hit a barn door with a shovel

They are both under contract

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:They said on radio not offered contract but will stay until his rehab is completed... sounds like he wont be staying long term.

Cheers Al, the statement does read like that. I'd love to see him back but an ACL can be career ending. With that in mind, I would have liked Flint to have stayed for his experience, he stepped up well when Morrison was injured.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:They said on radio not offered contract but will stay until his rehab is completed... sounds like he wont be staying long term.

A bit like Bamba. Stayed until he had recovered and then the club let him go.
IMO that was a mistake so hopefully letting go of Morrison won't be a mistake either

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm

I agree with this actually. Never been a fan of Vaulks sorry

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:04 pm

montyblue wrote:Ate we seriously hanging onto collins and how many chances does watters get before the penny drops that he could' nt hit a barn door with a shovel

Collins under contract, so he stays unless sold, loaned out or contract paid up :thumbup:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:34 pm

SVEN
Could we not sell colllins for a pound we could surely then free up the space.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:47 pm

I thought Mayembe was meant to be the next star? He was around the first team not so long back.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:12 pm

montyblue wrote:SVEN
Could we not sell colllins for a pound we could surely then free up the space.

First you you a club to want him, then you need Collins to give up his City wages and go.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm

nick_strin wrote:I thought Mayembe was meant to be the next star? He was around the first team not so long back.

Bad injury

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:55 am

Anyone think there is a way back for any of the released players?

Just wondering that if, the grass isn't greener, they may be willing to take a large pay cut here.

Or do we think Morison definitely doesn't want any of them.

Can't help but think Vaulks and Flint on the cheap would be great backups if tactics need changing.