Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

He never lost any money

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:16 am

Mike Ashley’s last 5 years at Newcastle United and kept them in top flight football

In 2019 & 2020 Newcastle made over £40mill a year

The club is the 17th-highest revenue producing club in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3 million

Ashley sold Newcastle United for £300 mill and to multi billionaires and left them as a Premier Club.

Ashley paid £135 mill for Newcastle

Give me Ashley over Tan any day

Re: He never lost any money

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:00 am

I've long been of the opinion that if we are to have new owners, and I have an open mind on that, then we won't be killed by a stampede of people wanting to throw money at us. Therefore any name, such as Ashley, who has some experience has to be considered.

However, the main criticisms of Tan by many is that he did not respect the history of our club and his regime has not communicated well with supporters. Well I think Ashley would rival him on both of those aspects :lol:

No doubt Ashley manages a tight ship when it comes to finances but at what cost ? I wouldn't be completely against him but would hope that he has learnt from some of the mistakes he made at Newcastle, the fans up there still hate him with a passion.

Worthwhile reading the following article as a bit of balance.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ne ... an-shearer

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 am

Forever Blue wrote:Mike Ashley’s last 5 years at Newcastle United and kept them in top flight football

The club is the 17th-highest revenue producing club in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3 million

Ashley sold Newcastle United for £300 mill and to multi billionaires and left them as a Premier Club.

The Newcastle fans are deluded thinking they are a top 6 club ,Ashley always bank rolled them when needed .

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:36 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Mike Ashley’s last 5 years at Newcastle United and kept them in top flight football

The Newcastle fans are deluded thinking they are a top 6 club ,Ashley always bank rolled them when needed .

He also got them relegated twice. They are a big club that were in Europe not long ago.

The lack of investment in their squad was shocking.

He also alienated their club legends like Alan Shearer.

The bloke should stay away from football.

Choosing between him and Tan is just deciding who's the lesser evil.

I put him in a similar bracket in terms of morales as Philip Green.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:43 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

He also got them relegated twice. They are a big club that were in Europe not long ago.

The lack of investment in their squad was shocking.

He also alienated their club legends like Alan Shearer.

The bloke should stay away from football.

Choosing between him and Tan is just deciding who's the lesser evil.

I put him in a similar bracket in terms of morales as Philip Green.

How many years have their fans protested against him? If that good an owner he wouldn't be hated so much by the fans who could not wait to get rid of him..
Also while comparing tan with him how many times did he refuse to sell to someone so tan not selling is par for course..

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:06 am

Mike Ashley is a very unpleasant individual who treats the people who work for him like shit

His morales and ethics are virtually nonexistent. He has a long list of dubious behaviour to his name

Would you really want someone like him owning our club?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:18 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Mike Ashley is a very unpleasant individual who treats the people who work for him like shit

His morales and ethics are virtually nonexistent. He has a long list of dubious behaviour to his name

Now owned by a country with dubious morals and ethics.... seems money more important than either... :roll:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 am

pembroke allan wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Mike Ashley is a very unpleasant individual who treats the people who work for him like shit

Now owned by a country with dubious morals and ethics.... seems money more important than either... :roll:

First LIV Gold, next LIV Football... ;) :cry:

Not getting drwan into the Tan debate but Mike Ashley not a man many would tolerate for too long at this club once the initial 'Tan gone' euphoria subsides

As an aside, Mike Ashley wants everything for nothing and Tan wants (at worse) his money back, so that deal highly unlikely at the very first hurdle... ;)

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:46 am

Remember Mike Ashley left Newcastle in a good state of affairs and now the wealthiest football club in the world , that’s what matters.

Never defaced their identity, strip or badge.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:48 am

wez1927 wrote:

Correct Wez, No one has a right to be at the top or top 6.

The fact is he has left them in a better state then when he took over .

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:Remember Mike Ashley left Newcastle in a good state of affairs and now the wealthiest football club in the world , that’s what matters.

Absolutely, undisputedly right on the finance point but many Newcastle fans would argue that he tampered with their identity with renaming the stadium (I wouldn't be too bothered with that personally !) not recognising key figures from their past, had no respect for the fans, etc.

As others have said, he's not a likeable bloke and has questionable values when it comes to people who work for him, but we wouldn't have too many money issues if he was to take over, although his level of investment on the playing side would be pretty minimal based on previous record and overseeing two relegations even at a club averaging 55-60,000 every home game !!

I'm guessing there have been some rumours if you're raising the name on here and whilst I wouldn't rule it out completely we would have to be wary of his motives and willingness to invest.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:13 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Remember Mike Ashley left Newcastle in a good state of affairs and now the wealthiest football club in the world , that’s what matters.

Absolutely, undisputedly right on the finance point but many Newcastle fans would argue that he tampered with their identity with renaming the stadium (I wouldn't be too bothered with that personally !) not recognising key figures from their past, had no respect for the fans, etc.

As others have said, he's not a likeable bloke and has questionable values when it comes to people who work for him, but we wouldn't have too many money issues if he was to take over, although his level of investment on the playing side would be pretty minimal based on previous record and overseeing two relegations even at a club averaging 55-60,000 every home game !!

I'm guessing there have been some rumours if you're raising the name on here and whilst I wouldn't rule it out completely we would have to be wary of his motives and willingness to invest.

Now would with the naming rights on the stadium.

Plus he kept the Black & White, kept their badge and as well leaving them better off, plus as I said the richest club in the world , they have NO right to be guaranteed too 6 as Wez said.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Lol if this happens you will certainly have to eat your words fairly quickly. The Guy is a dirty piece of work. Not just within football but within his business operations too.

Playing at the Sports Direct Stadium would make my stomach churn. He would do nothing to unite the fans and club.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:51 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:Lol if this happens you will certainly have to eat your words fairly quickly. The Guy is a dirty piece of work. Not just within football but within his business operations too.

Playing at the Sports Direct Stadium would make my stomach churn. He would do nothing to unite the fans and club.

Amen to that. Tried being one of the lads but that didn't work.Jesus I'd rather have Hamman back than him.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:Lol if this happens you will certainly have to eat your words fairly quickly. The Guy is a dirty piece of work. Not just within football but within his business operations too.

The change of stadium name went down so well no one ever called it that except himself and those ordered to do so ! I like name ccs and hate it to be called anything else? Somethings are not for sale. :old:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

The change of stadium name went down so well no one ever called it that except himself and those ordered to do so ! I like name ccs and hate it to be called anything else? Somethings are not for sale. :old:

Pity our fans were not like that all United against the despicable red and despicable badge, still can’t believe so
Many accepted it.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Pity our fans were not like that all United against the despicable red and despicable badge, still can’t believe so
Many accepted it.

The thought of Money has a funny effect on people annis even when they dont get it themselves? Golfers,ncastle, fifa all taken money from despicable countries from middle east ..... be surprised what people would do for money including putting parents in mental institutions just to get at their money.... money is the root of all evil . :roll:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Many accepted it.

The thought of Money has a funny effect on people annis even when they dont get it themselves? Golfers,ncastle, fifa all taken money from despicable countries from middle east ..... be surprised what people would do for money including putting parents in mental institutions just to get at their money.... money is the root of all evil . :roll:

Sadly your so right Allan, some would sell their souls for money , very very sad.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Many accepted it.

Sadly your so right Allan, some would sell their souls for money , very very sad.

Let's hope a middle east country doesnt buy club then annis! :laughing6:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Many accepted it.

Let's hope a middle east country doesnt buy club then annis! :laughing6:

:lol:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Sam changed the badge, spoke of moving to Dublin and almost bankrupted the club but you don't give him shot. Must have been good ice creams

Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:48 pm

65Blue wrote:

Sam changed the badge, spoke of moving to Dublin and almost bankrupted the club but you don't give him shot. Must have been good ice creams

Bringing Sam in to it now :lol:

Sam changed the badge on behalf of the Valley Rams and they designed it, I refused to buy it.

Talked about moving and as soon as fans said NO , Sam said ok.
He listened to our fans.

I never had an ice cream did you ???

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Many accepted it.

It's essentially what Newcastle have done with their new owners, too. If we do get sold, I hope we have owners who can unite the fans and bring the club together. Not an owner who will divide people from day 1.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:54 am

Mike Ashley ran Newcastle well as a business. But obviously in the business of football that's not good enough for the fans!

Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:27 am

paulh_85 wrote:Mike Ashley ran Newcastle well as a business. But obviously in the business of football that's not good enough for the fans!

Yes to make money by investing little In team? Or did the fans rebel because they simply didn't like way he ran club by not investing in team the one that got relegated twice under him... he had captive audience even in championship was 50k crowds... ncastle should been in top half premier league with the support and financial turnover instead bottom half or lower was their achievements

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:12 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:Mike Ashley ran Newcastle well as a business. But obviously in the business of football that's not good enough for the fans!

Yes to make money by investing little In team? Or did the fans rebel because they simply didn't like way he ran club by not investing in team the one that got relegated twice under him... he had captive audience even in championship was 50k crowds... ncastle should been in top half premier league with the support and financial turnover instead bottom half or lower was their achievements

Didn't they finish 5th "under him" as well? He put money in but it's never enough for Newcastle fans, who seem to think of themselves as much bigger than they are. Well I guess it worked out for them in the end as they are some rich Arabs play thing now.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:20 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Didn't they finish 5th "under him" as well? He put money in but it's never enough for Newcastle fans, who seem to think of themselves as much bigger than they are. Well I guess it worked out for them in the end as they are some rich Arabs play thing now.

At end day people hate tan because he changed colours gordies hate Ashley because way he ran club! As for thinking bigger than they are mmmm they have every right to thing that considering the size of club and the support they have... it's not God given but it's a realistic expectation for fans and except for the season you mentioned it's been a constant fight against relegation

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

At end day people hate tan because he changed colours gordies hate Ashley because way he ran club! As for thinking bigger than they are mmmm they have every right to thing that considering the size of club and the support they have... it's not God given but it's a realistic expectation for fans and except for the season you mentioned it's been a constant fight against relegation

During his ownership the club was relegated twice in seven years (for context they had been relegated twice in the previous 45 years), had never reached the 5th round of the FA Cup and qualified for Europe only once. In the 13 years prior to him taking over Newcastle finished 2nd twice, 3rd twice, 4th, 5th and 6th, reached two FA Cup finals, two other semi finals, the semi final of the UEFA Cup and played Champions League football.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:11 pm

Didn’t he rename st James park the sports direct arena or something along those lines, I’d definitely say that was defacing their history