Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wales Tonight

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:49 pm

Why was Sorba Thomas selected tonite. Biggest load of rubbish Iv seen playing for Wales for years absolute joke. Burns Smith no way International standard. Page may have got us to the World Cup but tonight's result was a right selection disaster. He seems to think his job is done.

Re: Wales Tonight

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:54 pm

MikeP wrote:Why was Sorba Thomas selected tonite. Biggest load of rubbish Iv seen playing for Wales for years absolute joke. Burns Smith no way International standard. Page may have got us to the World Cup but tonight's result was a right selection disaster. He seems to think his job is done.

It's about testing players at international level

Even a world cup warm up

Do you just want to play the best starting 11 ?

Need games like this to trial players and positions

Totally ignorant comment about Page ! Are you Welsh :lol:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:10 pm

MikeP wrote:Why was Sorba Thomas selected tonite. Biggest load of rubbish Iv seen playing for Wales for years absolute joke. Burns Smith no way International standard. Page may have got us to the World Cup but tonight's result was a right selection disaster. He seems to think his job is done.

His job is done he got us qualified for our first World Cup in a million years. That’s what is task was!!!

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:12 pm

Yes I'm Welsh but honest in what I see, You test players in friendlies not in Euro internationals. Why leave Ramsey and Bale on the bench for so long,Fight hard to get back on terms then throw it all away again, Thomas was no where near with his header could have cleared the danger away not for the first time tonite way off the ball dident have a clue. So these players have Bern tried proved not good enough Hooe thats the last chance they get.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:21 pm

These are basically friendlies.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Why pick on one player Where was rest team for the winner? 3 defenders against 4 attackers from a long ball..... stupid thing is if he didn't touch ball with his head they wouldn't have scored... there was a lot of poor play by several players throughout game. But if we can lose by one goal in every game against top teams things isn't all bad.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:32 pm

The Nations League games are now our friendlies. UEFA have cleverly (in my opinion) made pointless games a bit more competitive.

We cannot go to a World Cup trying to use just 15 players. We have to test more players.

Remember how small we are as a nation, we do not have the benefit of a massive pool of Premier League players like England and look how it has served them anyway.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Sorry never realised they are just friendless and of no real importance just trials,just 2 games to go before the World Cup but who cares if we lose them.Nations league of no importance.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:09 pm

MikeP wrote:Sorry never realised they are just friendless and of no real importance just trials,just 2 games to go before the World Cup but who cares if we lose them.Nations league of no importance.

I think there are usually warm-up friendlies before then. I hope at least that is the case.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:10 pm

The Netherlands finished their international window with a dramatic hard-fought Nations League win over Wales at the Stadion Feijenoord.

The hosts dominated the first quarter of the match and when Noa Lang and Cody Gakpo scored six minutes apart it looked like Wales could be in for a very long evening in Rotterdam.

Rob Page's side kept their composure, though, and found a route back into the game against the run of play when Brennan Johnson bagged his second in as many games.

With time running out, substitute Connor Roberts went down in the Dutch area after an aerial challenge and referee Horatiu Fesnic pointed to the spot.

Gareth Bale calmly dispatched the 92nd-minute penalty, low into the right corner, to send the travelling Wales fans delirious, only for Memphis Depay to win it for the Dutch straight from the restart.

For all Wales' efforts it is a third defeat in the Nations League from four games and they find themselves bottom of Group A4 - although their qualification for the 2022 World Cup will mean this international period will ultimately be deemed a successful one.

The Netherlands remain unbeaten in Louis van Gaal's second stint in charge and sit comfortably at the top of the group.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:22 am

I agree about Sorba Thomas ... nowhere near good enough. Positional play was terrible, gave attackers too much space, couldn't tackle and passing was cr@p. On that performance should not be going to Qatar. Prob Page won't drop him on account of being called racist IMO.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:45 am

NIBluebird wrote:

It's about testing players at international level

Even a world cup warm up

Do you just want to play the best starting 11 ?

Need games like this to trial players and positions

Totally ignorant comment about Page ! Are you Welsh :lol:

^^^^^ THIS, Mike ^^^^^ :clap:

Although I am pleased for Wales qualifying for the World Cup, I am not an overly eager international football fan; preferring the club game

However, anyone who believes Rob Page hasn't done a phenomenal job in tough circumstances, is not in line with general opinion

This daft (IMHO) Europa Nations competition has come at the end of an incredibly long season and in reality served only to 'test' a few things out before the rapidly approaching main event in December

Wales actually performed okay against some pretty good opposition and probably and ultimately gained more than they would in the usual 'friendlies'

With, I believe, only two more international games before the main event, it was right for Rob Page to 'experiment' with one eye on the future

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:00 am

Ridiculous comment, all three would walk into our squad! Sorba Thomas was played out of position but generally had a good game against class opposition!

Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:02 am

Wayne S wrote:The Nations League games are now our friendlies. UEFA have cleverly (in my opinion) made pointless games a bit more competitive.

We cannot go to a World Cup trying to use just 15 players. We have to test more players.

Remember how small we are as a nation, we do not have the benefit of a massive pool of Premier League players like England and look how it has served them anyway.

Well said.