Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ENGLAND

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 pm

At last they are in a group that offer some opposition hungary italy germany they only usually meet these teams after there bye
rather than the usual grouping with the likes of
such as andora Lichtenstein iceland

Re: ENGLAND

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:29 pm

montyblue wrote:At last they are in a group that offer some opposition hungary italy germany they only usually meet these teams after there bye

Yes hopefully relegation will come..... at least if we get relegated it's not a surprise as basically we are 2nd tier team while England are suppose to be top tier? :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:05 pm

England's dismal Nations League campaign continued as they slumped to their worst home defeat since 1928 against a ruthless Hungary to leave Gareth Southgate's side rooted to the bottom of Group A3.

The Three Lions have now gone four games without a victory for the first time since 2014 and look worryingly out of form and confidence with a World Cup looming at the end of this year.

They could do nothing but capitulate to a humiliating and potentially damaging defeat that had the crowd booing and baying for Southgate's job at the final whistle.

Roland Sallai put the visitors in front with a well-taken finish at the back post, then doubled Hungary's lead with his second on the break 20 minutes from time.

There was more to come from a rampant Hungary, as Zsolt Nagy fired in from range and - after John Stones was sent off to compound a woeful evening for the hosts - Daniel Gazdag finished smartly to wrap up a second historic win over England in 10 days.

Jarrod Bowen had earlier missed a decent chance at the back post from Reece James' cross and Harry Kane flicked a header against the bar, but the hosts once again lacked the belief and inventiveness to open up their opposition.

Hungary - who top a group that also includes Germany and Italy - were well organised and clinical to earn only their second win over the Three Lions on English soil and first since a famous 6-3 success at Wembley in 1953.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:20 am

Had to laugh at ex players ect according to them nations league is a Micky mouse competition just because they're getting stuffed and look like being relegated.. :laughing6:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:38 am

montyblue wrote:At last they are in a group that offer some opposition hungary italy germany they only usually meet these teams after there bye

You have hit the nail right on the head Monty!!

Because they are invariably "Pot 1" status in the World Cup and Euro qualifiers, allied to the luck of the Devil in missing "awkward" Pot 2 teams, England have been able to build an international win, points and qualification record which on paper makes them world beaters.
Problem is that in truth that "outstanding" record is comparable to that which would be achieved by a mid table Premiership team spending a season in Division 3 - all wins but relatively piss weak opposition!! Put that mid table Prem team back in the top flight and results would once again revert to being mediocre at best, which is exactly what happens to England in the finals of major tournaments and the top echelon of the Nations Cup!

That's why the arrogant- "we will win the World Cup" - English Soccer establishment from their press, pundits, players, management and down to their fans are laughed at so much when they fall flat on their face when the chips are really down and they are playing another side which has something about it. But don't expect to see a swift dose of realism and humility from the English after the recent beatings though as their soccer hierarchy are already pointing to the wonderful "achievements of the recent past" as a reason not to get disappointed by the recent losses!! FFS give us a break!!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:15 pm

blemmy wrote:

You have hit the nail right on the head Monty!!

Because they are invariably "Pot 1" status in the World Cup and Euro qualifiers, allied to the luck of the Devil in missing "awkward" Pot 2 teams, England have been able to build an international win, points and qualification record which on paper makes them world beaters.
Problem is that in truth that "outstanding" record is comparable to that which would be achieved by a mid table Premiership team spending a season in Division 3 - all wins but relatively piss weak opposition!! Put that mid table Prem team back in the top flight and results would once again revert to being mediocre at best, which is exactly what happens to England in the finals of major tournaments and the top echelon of the Nations Cup!

That's why the arrogant- "we will win the World Cup" - English Soccer establishment from their press, pundits, players, management and down to their fans are laughed at so much when they fall flat on their face when the chips are really down and they are playing another side which has something about it. But don't expect to see a swift dose of realism and humility from the English after the recent beatings though as their soccer hierarchy are already pointing to the wonderful "achievements of the recent past" as a reason not to get disappointed by the recent losses!! FFS give us a break!!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I agree with everything you said, especially the arrogance from the pundits, press etc but England currently have a crop of players that I reluctantly have to admit should take them deep into every tournament they enter.

In many positions they do have some outstanding footballers like Kane, Foden, James, Mount and others but with a central defensive partnership of Stones and Maguire, and lacking a dependable deputy for Harry Kane, the likelihood of them actually winning a tournament is greatly diminished.

Still, the more the media build them up, the more satisfying it is to the rest of us when they fall, as inevitably they will.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:13 pm

They also have the womens lionesses to turn to for a pick me up if the men stutter and the cricket can also be thrown in to keep the feel good factor going
But the predictability is what makes me laugh
the booing fans, excuses,lack of any news the next day from the media
but if they are winning boy do we know all about it.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:58 pm

montyblue wrote:They also have the womens lionesses to turn to for a pick me up if the men stutter and the cricket can also be thrown in to keep the feel good factor going
But the predictability is what makes me laugh
the booing fans, excuses,lack of any news the next day from the media
but if they are winning boy do we know all about it.

Big difference between English football and cricket Monty. I've always been an England cricket fan because players are chosen from all 4 home countries if they're good enough. And all 4 countries have produced England captains in various forms of cricket over the years. Now England football teams.... well that's a different story altogether !

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Moody bluebird

No difference to me but hey ho
They are both built up in the same way and the exuses and the hush is the same when they loose
i was refering to the media more than the sport itself.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:38 pm

montyblue wrote:Moody bluebird

No difference to me but hey ho
They are both built up in the same way and the exuses and the hush is the same when they loose
i was refering to the media more than the sport itself.

It's a strange one because I doubt there are many, even on here, who hate England as a country or the English themselves. For a start most have English friends, family or both. But as soon as the media, both on TV and in the press start giving saturated coverage to the England football team, usually to the detriment of the other home nations, it really sticks in the craw. There is only one team I hate more than the England football team.....and that's their Rugby Union team !

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Had to laugh at ex players ect according to them nations league is a Micky mouse competition just because they're getting stuffed and look like being relegated.. :laughing6:

;) :thumbup: