Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gareth Bale: "It's hard to take but I'd rather this happen n

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:20 am

Wales haven’t won a Nations League game.

GARETH BALE:

"It's hard to take but I'd rather this happen now and we address it than it happen at the World Cup," he told S4C. "We have to use these Nations League games to improve and get better.

"Of course we all know what happened but how can we stop that happening now? We can try and address it rather than being stuck at the World Cup.

"I was saying in the changing room just then, we're in League A in the Nations League playing big teams. Of course we are disappointed we conceded, but we were in the game the whole 90 minutes. We're competing with these big teams in every game and it's just the fine details we need to iron out.

"If we can get them ironed out in the next two games, it will put us in a good space for the World Cup."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gareth Bale: "It's hard to take but I'd rather this happ

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:15 am

Hes right, Wales are at least competing and giving it a go in these games. Yeah there been some mistakes, but you can learn from them.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:05 am

I think we have played well in all of these games, but switching off twice after scoring is a basic mistake that has to be cut out - especially so late in the game when there is no chance of equalising. Admittedly, last night was a bit unfortunate for Ben Davies header to go straight to Depay, but they should never have been allowed to get into that position from the kick off.

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:I think we have played well in all of these games, but switching off twice after scoring is a basic mistake that has to be cut out - especially so late in the game when there is no chance of equalising. Admittedly, last night was a bit unfortunate for Ben Davies header to go straight to Depay, but they should never have been allowed to get into that position from the kick off.

The goal was conceded because Sorba Thomas failed to appropriately challenge the header from the long ball. Sorba could have at least competed to put him off, or positioned his body so the opponent didn't have a free run and jump.

Everything that happened after the first header was lost was extremely unfortunate. Ben Davies could only flick the ball on and it couldn't have fallen anymore perfectly for Depuy, who finished excellently.

Sorba is a winger being asked to fill in as a wing back though and I think we all expect Neco Williams to be in that position, who's far more used to defending high balls.

As already said above, at least we are in the A league competing against these teams. Isn't it great that when we drew against Belgium, we were all content with a point, but nobody seemed surprised because we believe we can get results against the best teams now. We are closing the gap and pressing towards that standard consistently.

Also, defeating Austria (who took Italy to extra time in the last Euros) and Ukraine, who are a very good team anyway, but were at their very, very best, giving it their all against us under current circumstances, shows we will be a tough match for anyone this World Cup.