Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

100% Steve Morison Year : The 2022-2023 season

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:11 am

100% Steve Morison Year :

The 2022-2023 season is a big year for CCFC and it is 100% reliant on Steve Morison. With the MASSIVE changes to our team we/Tan are in effect pinning all our hopes on the good judgement of our manager :

(1) in selecting who we buy

(2) in selecting who we take on loan

(3) which existing young players will become established

(4) how well he will blend all those players together . Naturally the Bale factor will loom large and will have a big impact …….if it happens.

As it stands we have 26 players on our roster (19 retained and 7 bought).

I expect that about 8 of those retained will be sold (mainly free) or loaned out or simply treated as too young/cheap to matter .

I expect that we will be introducing about 8 more new players ….. 5 on loan ….. with 3 more yet to be signed (Bale is in this category). Obviously Ralls and Morrison are also candidates. All in all I expect we will end with 15 new faces (less Ralls/Morrison). We are half way through.

In conclusion if Steve Morison is inspired and his judgement is excellent …… we will be flying ! If he is not up to the task …… then God help us ! It could be heaven or it could be hell ! . Which will it be ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 100% Steve Morison Year : The 2022-2023 season

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:12 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ STEVE MORISON'S CARDIFF CITY NEW SIGNINGS & SQUAD 2022-23 “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

15th June 2022: Cardiff City make their 7th signing:

Millwall defender Mahlon Romeo has clinched a move to Cardiff City after being sent out last season on a year long loan to league 1 Portsmouth.

Romeo who is 27 years old in 2 months is joining the Welsh club.

Millwall have released Mahlon Romeo on a free to Cardiff City.

Cardiff City have handed Romeo a 3 year contract.

15th June 2022: Cardiff City make their 6th Signing:

Cardiff City are delighted to announce the signing of right-back Vontae Daley-Campbell as free agent ."

The 21-year-old defender will join the Bluebirds as free transfer on a three-year deal from July 1st, 2022,was released by the Foxes last week after making 0 appearances for them in the Premier League.

Daley-Campbell made 0 appearances for Leicester City, but went on loan and made 6 appearances for Dundee who were relegated last season from the Scottish Premiership League finishing bottom.

8th June 2022: Cardiff City have completed their fifth signing of the summer with the capture of Callum O'Dowda on a three-year deal.

The winger joins on a free transfer after being released by Bristol City following six years with the Ashton Gate club. The 27-year-old was one of Steve Morison’s main targets.

20th May 2022: Cardiff City Sign their fourth signing of the summer Nigeria international Jamilu Collins.
Collins was released by Bundesliga 2 club SC Paderborn.

Jamilu Collins joins on a free transfer with a two-year deal at Cardiff.

Collins - 28 yrs old in 2mths is a left-back.

Played for Nigeria, has 11 caps.

18th May 2022: Ollie Tanner became Cardiff City’s 3rd signing, 2 year signing.

Isthmian League Premier Division Lewes FC / Ollie Tanner

Cardiff City agree to sign apparently a Tottenham target Ollie Tanner ( 20 yrs old ) £35,000.

17th May 2022: Cardiff City sign goalkeeper Jak Alnwick from St Mirren on a free transfer.
Alnwick 29 years old next month.

Alnwick, who has joined on a two-year deal.

13th May 2022: Midfielder Ebou Adams aged 26 signed on a free from League 2 Forest Green on a 3yr contract.

‘ SEVEN NEW SIGNINGS / 6 FREE TRANSFERS / RELEASED BY THEIR CLUBS & 1 FOR £35,000 ‘

Mahlon Romeo, Vontae Daley-Campbell, Callum O'Dowda, Jamilu Collins, Ollie Tanner, Jak Alnwick, Ebou Adams.

‘ CCFC RETAINED LIST ‘

Joel Bagan
James Collins trying to move Collins out
Rubin Colwill
Isaak Davies
Oliver Denham
Kieron Evans going out on loan once again, Non League Torquay thinking about having Evans.
Mark Harris
Eli King
Rohan Luthra
Mark McGuinness
Curtis Nelson
Perry Ng
Dillon Phillips
Tom Sang might go out on loan once again
Jai Semenyo
Max Watters
Gavin Whyte
Ryan Wintle
Chanka Zimba going out on loan once again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 am

My View:

I fear that if Bale does not join …… we will find it very difficult .

Too many players to successfully blend together as a team .

We are relying in the main on unproven young players …… also on a yet to be proven manager (he had some success but also we hardly improved).

Let us be realistic ……. Tan …… for whatever reason ….. has run out of juice .
He and therefore we have no other choice but to go the cheap ….. take a chance on a cheap inexperienced ….yet promising and hard working manager.

I feel that this may possibly be Tan’s last chance. If we achieve success he will live to fight another day ….. if we fail then - I think - curtains.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am

I for one will be willing him to succeed rather thinking he will fail. Didn't the Jacks give an untested age grade coach a chance a couple of years ago? Wonder what happened to him. :lol:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am

No doubt this will 100% be Morison's team.

Almost a completely new squad and a totally different style of play. This is the biggest overhaul we've had for years but it was much needed.

I'm optimistic.

Has to be said that Morison will live or die depending on how we do. We need to be competing for the top six by the end of the season.

But fans also need to be patient for once, as it will take a few weeks once the season has started for this new team to gel.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:56 am

For many a year now its been stated that we need a clear-out and the dead-wood chopped away, The point at which so many player's (Expensive) contracts were up married the massive crap season last year means that major "Tree Surgery" was always going to come.
Morison certainly has certainly been quick out of the blocks and whilst there are no big name signings they have been interesting signings with the potential to push on, and the total reset that was needed.

Its too early to make that final judgement as the process is still work in progress but in my humble opinion the glass is certainly HALF FULL :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:00 am

Why some of these players on 3 year deals , do we not ever learn? If Morison fails we are lumbered with lower league players.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:My View:

I fear that if Bale does not join …… we will find it very difficult .

Too many players to successfully blend together as a team .

We are relying in the main on unproven young players …… also on a yet to be proven manager (he had some success but also we hardly improved).

For me, Bale is a bonus and it's as much about his influence off the pitch as on it that would be a huge positive. I still think he will sign for us but won't be celebrating until he's pictured in that shirt :lol: Similarly I don't think that will affect recruitment plans other than the fact that we become more attractive to prospective players if he does sign.

You are spot on, there are a lot of players to blend and that may mean an inconsistent start to the season. But as long as there are improvements and results are decent by mid/late September I think Morison will carry most reasonable fans with him, particularly if the style of football is better.

A nice win against the Wurzels or Jacks early on would help the momentum :lol:

As for Tan, I honestly believe that results are almost unimportant in deciding on whether he sells or not. It's more about who is willing to match his valuation. That said, we do become more attractive to buyers if we're in with a good chance of promotion so if we are in a decent position come January the transfer policy at that point will give a very real insight as to whether Tan wants to sell or not.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:07 am

Ninian27 wrote:Why some of these players on 3 year deals , do we not ever learn? If Morison fails we are lumbered with lower league players.

Pretty simple answer on that. Unless you're paying big wages the only way to attract people is by giving a decent length contract.

Players may sign a one season deal for £20k+ a week but they ain't going to take that risk for £8-£10k or less in some cases.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:14 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:No doubt this will 100% be Morison's team.

Almost a completely new squad and a totally different style of play. This is the biggest overhaul we've had for years but it was much needed.

I'm optimistic.

Has to be said that Morison will live or die depending on how we do. We need to be competing for the top six by the end of the season.

But fans also need to be patient for once, as it will take a few weeks once the season has started for this new team to gel.

Are you for real, bedding in 15 new players you expect top 6 with the wealth of money they relegated sides have at their disposal, mid table would be some effort this season on a vastly reduced budget and a whole new squad this sort of talk of top 6 is insane. I’d take 20th place if you offered me it now next season I’d just expect us to kick on the year after though a bit

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:20 am

Unfortunately due to type managers previously employed we were stuck with outdated tactics with players to match! Now morison has been tasked with changing that philosophy which means a completely new squad which in turn means taking chance on younger players and hopefully some experienced ones to help them.... we as fans wanted change now we got it we need to embrace it no point in having go at club/manager as football finances for most clubs in efl is tight ..... as for tan his time is at an end even if get promoted are we going to spend £100m as been reported about forest to keep us up? For me get promoted and it's a slow change to better players with relegation/ promotion couple times (it looks way forward ) if cannot stay up... club stand better chance of long term success....think people should wait until transfers are completed to form a accurate opinion not criticise club/manager after couple signing a and before season started.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 am

smakerzthebluebird wrote:

I'm optimistic.

Are you for real, bedding in 15 new players you expect top 6 with the wealth of money they relegated sides have at their disposal, mid table would be some effort this season on a vastly reduced budget and a whole new squad this sort of talk of top 6 is insane. I’d take 20th place if you offered me it now next season I’d just expect us to kick on the year after though a bit

I didn't say we should be top six. I said we should compete for top six.

There is a big difference between the two.

You're right that the relegated teams have money but Burnley have to spend a lot of that on paying back debt. They won't spend much.

Other teams in the league are in the same boat as us, in that they have little money to spend.

It is not unreasonable to expect us to compete for the top six.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:38 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
smakerzthebluebird wrote:

I'm optimistic.

I didn't say we should be top six. I said we should compete for top six.

There is a big difference between the two.

You're right that the relegated teams have money but Burnley have to spend a lot of that on paying back debt. They won't spend much.

Other teams in the league are in the same boat as us, in that they have little money to spend.

It is not unreasonable to expect us to compete for the top six.

It's very early to judge, we don't know who else will be joing but it's certainly possible!

Morison has probably had the toughest task since Ole left, all we can judge him on is the very difficult January transfer window, and based on that he knows a player, lets just hope he gets this window right and it's heaven, even if it's Earth (7th to 20th) that will be ok based on the clear out he's had to have.

I'm optomistic too, I think the big players are yet to arrive, I would preditct a top half finish and top six is still a slight possibilty :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:52 am

I think we're in for a mixed season I think we're gonna see the best football we seen in a while but also go through some frustrating spells.
I would see it as a decent season if
We achieve 60+ points.

See continued progression in Colwill Davies Mcguinness and Denham being more involved.

Can see a style of play developing.

Beat the jacks at least once.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:06 am

7 new signings so far and all of them gambles. Only 2 of the players have played in the championship in O'Dowda and Romeo and neither have really established themselves in this league.

The other side of the coin is they're all players with a point to prove and it could turn out to be a master stroke.

Experienced heads are needed now, Bale would obviously add that. Players linked Ramsey, Wallace, Laurent and Gray. Can realistically see only Gray and Laurent out of those 4 but if we were to pull off the 4 of them I would start to get very excited.

An Experienced centre back is a must for me. Our biggest problem last season was not keeping clean sheets.

Only time will tell and let's hope Morison's gambles pay off.

I like what Morison was doing with the U23's and I think he was doing a good job with the 1st team up until the Swansea game and with that always comes a major overreaction. Win and you're the next Pep lose and everyone wants you sacked.

What fans had to bare in mind with last season is Morison was having to use players that were bought for a totally different style of play and were unable to adapt to a new style of play in half a season.

This is the real Steve Morison era coming up. So let's get behind it.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:19 am

D.A.C. wrote:7 new signings so far and all of them gambles. Only 2 of the players have played in the championship in O'Dowda and Romeo and neither have really established themselves in this league.

The other side of the coin is they're all players with a point to prove and it could turn out to be a master stroke.

Experienced heads are needed now, Bale would obviously add that. Players linked Ramsey, Wallace, Laurent and Gray. Can realistically see only Gray and Laurent out of those 4 but if we were to pull off the 4 of them I would start to get very excited.

An Experienced centre back is a must for me. Our biggest problem last season was not keeping clean sheets.

Only time will tell and let's hope Morison's gambles pay off.

I like what Morison was doing with the U23's and I think he was doing a good job with the 1st team up until the Swansea game and with that always comes a major overreaction. Win and you're the next Pep lose and everyone wants you sacked.

What fans had to bare in mind with last season is Morison was having to use players that were bought for a totally different style of play and were unable to adapt to a new style of play in half a season.

This is the real Steve Morison era coming up. So let's get behind it.

good point about a centre half, we really need the new Gabbidon, ideally with also the new James Collins!

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:22 am

Been a while since I felt this excited about another season in the Championship. Lots of new players with points to prove. Can’t wait, especially if a fellow Whitchurch HS pupil joins the throng.
The 300 mile round trip will seem a bit easier too.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:27 pm

This is Morison team All be it on a very limited budget . I am sure if he had some money he would be choosing other players thou

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:07 pm

Bale would surely want someone who he can relate to otherwise it would be like a 6 former pupil playing with infants withh all these kids we are signing.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:34 pm

montyblue wrote:Bale would surely want someone who he can relate to otherwise it would be like a 6 former pupil playing with infants withh all these kids we are signing.

Well if the young Wales players can relate to him and Visa versa that's been said dont see it as a problem at city.... afterall who wouldn't want to learn off a world class player like GB ?

Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:52 pm

PEMBROKE ALLAN
I was wishfull thinking on the lines of his buddy ramsey giving us a few seasons like bellers did.

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:17 pm

montyblue wrote:PEMBROKE ALLAN
I was wishfull thinking on the lines of his buddy ramsey giving us a few seasons like bellers did.

Ahhh well it came across that he wouldnt be able to relate to the youngsters we've signed ... not to have a buddy to talk to like Rambo.... :o
Plenty of time for such signings or dont you think can afford him or bale or anyone else for that matter?

Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:13 am

Pencoed wrote:I think we're in for a mixed season I think we're gonna see the best football we seen in a while but also go through some frustrating spells.
I would see it as a decent season if
We achieve 60+ points.

See continued progression in Colwill Davies Mcguinness and Denham being more involved.

Can see a style of play developing.

Beat the jacks at least once.

Exactly as I see things an bit hit or miss whilst the new players and style bed in but quite optimistic that it will be more entertaining than what’s been served up last season..