Our Scottish 'tour'

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our Scottish 'tour'

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:03 pm

I get the 'team bonding' bit, but whilst other teams are now starting to play friendly games, were still having a blast playing 'quick cricket', Basketball and badminton.

Our first friendly is still almost a week away.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Our Scottish 'tour'

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Our Scottish 'tour'

Postby piledriver64 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:29 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I get the 'team bonding' bit, but whilst other teams are now starting to play friendly games, were still having a blast playing 'quick cricket', Basketball and badminton.

The "tour" wasn't about quick cricket, bonding, etc., it was about getting the hard basic fitness work done that will set the players up for the season. Building up muscle mass and core strength is vital for all top athletes, without it you get a much higher risk of injury.

I think you'll find that there aren't many "first team" friendly games going on at the moment for similar reasons.

With Morison changing the way we play to a higher intensity pressing game this early fitness work is going to be the priority otherwise the fitness required to play in that way just won't be there, even for friendlies, which make the games pretty meaningless if you can't play the way you intend to.

I'm guessing that this week they will now start working on formations, tactics, etc., so they can at least start to see what is expected of them in games.

I don't see this pre-season as much different to the vast majority of other clubs to be honest.
piledriver64

Postby Large Arge » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:39 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I get the 'team bonding' bit, but whilst other teams are now starting to play friendly games, were still having a blast playing 'quick cricket', Basketball and badminton.

The "tour" wasn't about quick cricket, bonding, etc., it was about getting the hard basic fitness work done that will set the players up for the season. Building up muscle mass and core strength is vital for all top athletes, without it you get a much higher risk of injury.

I think you'll find that there aren't many "first team" friendly games going on at the moment for similar reasons.

With Morison changing the way we play to a higher intensity pressing game this early fitness work is going to be the priority otherwise the fitness required to play in that way just won't be there, even for friendlies, which make the games pretty meaningless if you can't play the way you intend to.

I'm guessing that this week they will now start working on formations, tactics, etc., so they can at least start to see what is expected of them in games.

I don't see this pre-season as much different to the vast majority of other clubs to be honest.

Don't bother being sensible. Barclay would be complaining if they'd already started because they'd be too tired come the start of the season or some other such reason :roll:

You're right about us not being any different to the rest of the league. According to Sky, half the league haven't played a friendly yet and a few don't have their first one until after ours.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... es-2022-23
Large Arge

Postby JasonFowler1991 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:50 pm

Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Don't bother being sensible. Barclay would be complaining if they'd already started because they'd be too tired come the start of the season or some other such reason :roll:

You're right about us not being any different to the rest of the league. According to Sky, half the league haven't played a friendly yet and a few don't have their first one until after ours.

Additionally, a lot of players have not only come off the back of a long league season but 4 international matches in 10 days too.

They need rest or we will be ravaged by injuries throughout the season.
JasonFowler1991

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:06 pm

Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

I don't complain, I see and say things as I think.

I see a lot of value in some of the responses I get even if I don't agree. You simply see the poster and make your mind up without reading any content.

We play Sat/Tues/Sat/Tue/Sat (Correct me if I'm wrong). That in itself is Likely to bring injuries with games in such quick succession, and b) Even given for the obvious rotation that will be used, will not really see us play any form of settled side in readiness for the season opener.
Barclay1

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:07 pm

JasonFowler1991 wrote:
Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Additionally, a lot of players have not only come off the back of a long league season but 4 international matches in 10 days too.

They need rest or we will be ravaged by injuries throughout the season.

A Valid point but which City players played in such a frenzy of Internationals? Colwill? Harris?
Barclay1

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:15 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

I see a lot of value in some of the responses I get even if I don't agree. You simply see the poster and make your mind up without reading any content.

We play Sat/Tues/Sat/Tue/Sat (Correct me if I'm wrong). That in itself is Likely to bring injuries with games in such quick succession, and b) Even given for the obvious rotation that will be used, will not really see us play any form of settled side in readiness for the season opener.

We play sat Tues sat..... sat Tues sat which is means play on a tues every 2 weeks and not throughout season I suspect.
pembroke allan

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

We play sat Tues sat..... sat Tues sat which is means play on a tues every 2 weeks and not throughout season I suspect.

Apologies, I was on about the pre season schedule Sat/Tue/Sat etc... For a Pre Season schedule I feel its a big ask and we wont really get any form of settled side before the KO
Barclay1

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Apologies, I was on about the pre season schedule Sat/Tue/Sat etc... For a Pre Season schedule I feel its a big ask and we wont really get any form of settled side before the KO

Tbh everyone complains about something to do with pre season ... whether its quality of opposition or scheduling... or results none as any bearing on what happens in the season
pembroke allan

Postby piledriver64 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:47 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Large Arge wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Just have a think about your last post.

The pre-season schedule looks arduous but in reality, as with all clubs every summer, I would be amazed if any of our squad played 90 minutes of every game. In fact, in the first one or two it's likely they'll be completely different teams in the first and second halves.

The sports science team will be closely monitoring every player in training and friendlies and will know exactly where each of them stands in terms of fitness. Everything is geared towards that first league game and there will be very few that actually play 90 minutes before then.

Training is so advanced now that, unlike years ago, playing games doers very little for a players core fitness. That work is done on the training ground. Games are just adding sharpness and, having watched a few friendlies in my time !, very few are at full pace so it's the first few league games that will add that.
piledriver64

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm

Damned if we do, damned if we don’t
:lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby mr_nellio » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:47 am

Gutted we never played a game up here as they were training about a 20 min drive from my house at the oriam facility.

Couldn't go up to see training because of work but was really hoping they would have at least had a friendly against one of the local clubs.
Blue for life
mr_nellio

Return to General Chat