Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So what would be a decent season for you.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:12 am

For me it will be the playoffs though I'm hoping for a bit better.

Re: So what would be a decent season for you.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:19 am

Play offs. But I expect midtable.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:24 am

On paper we look awful at the moment. I think anything above relegation will be a success.

Hopefully some decent loanees come in over the next few weeks.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 am

Too early to say as I think the real quality signings (e.g. loans from bigger clubs) are yet to come.

However, if we get a goalscorer and another centre back I think top half, flirting with the playoffs but probably not having quite enough to be challenging at the end of the season.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 am

Top half finish would be a success for me

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:07 am

Mid table but having not flirted with relegation this time with the squad improving as we go through the season as they gel.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 am

theDelaney88 wrote:On paper we look awful at the moment. I think anything above relegation will be a success.

Hopefully some decent loanees come in over the next few weeks.

Without the strikers we look awful, with potential strikers, we are unknown which is concern.

If Morison can make it work and make them gel, then he'll be off and get a better managers job than ours within 12 months.

At the moment, not flirting with relegation would be a decent season.

I cant yet envisage anything like a play off place, but we'll have to wait and see.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:53 am

Play-offs NO less.

But with all these New signings and what Morrison keeps saying,maybe 2nd we should be looking at.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:For me it will be the playoffs though I'm hoping for a bit better.

How do people hope or expect for play offs? Is it blind faith or do you see something I don’t? To me, we are a million miles away from the play offs. Mid table would be a very good season for us as things stand but I expect us to be around 18th-16th .

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:00 am

Mid table with a derby win would suit me

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:08 am

WelshSerb wrote:Mid table with a derby win would suit me

That would be a success for me on a season of transition.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:10 am

Unfortunately alot of people equate transfer fees paid for players with success or otherwise. Morison has brought in decent players who would have commanded a decent fee had they been tied down elsewhere.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am

Got to be mid table but optimistically playoffs.... football is a funny old game. :D

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:16 am

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:For me it will be the playoffs though I'm hoping for a bit better.

How do people hope or expect for play offs? Is it blind faith or do you see something I don’t? To me, we are a million miles away from the play offs. Mid table would be a very good season for us as things stand but I expect us to be around 18th-16th .

Keeper is as good as, if not better than, last season with Allsop, Alnwick and Phillips

Full backs look strong, not as good as Drameh admittedly !, but good players with back-up.

Centre backs, we've lost Flint and Morrison (for now) so we do need to strengthen. But Nelson, Ng and McGuinness are a good start.

Midfield, as I've said in a previous post looks much stronger, particularly if we sign Sawyers. We have 3 proven Championship midfielders in Wintle, Sawyers and Rinhomota as well as backup of Ralls, Adams, Colwill (if he's played there) and King.

Wide players we have Isaac Davies, Tanner plus one more would be good.

Striker is the big area for improvement. Harris and Watters are no more than back-ups at best. If we can sign a young Prem striker with potential on loan and another experienced striker then things are looking quite rosy.

The key is the final signings on loan and we may have to be patient on that but if we do get 1/2 decent strikers then I see no reason why we couldn't regard this squad as stronger than last years.

If we don't get a striker though, things will be really tough.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:17 am

cantonbluebird1959 wrote:

Another season of transition, I don’t buy in to that anymore, heard that every season.
Many clubs brought in 6-10 new players.
Morison has said he is over the moon with his signings, they have jelled and he has never been so excited about his players.
Top 2 should be looking at if they are all as good as Morison and Williams in Media Wales say they are.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:17 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Unfortunately alot of people equate transfer fees paid for players with success or otherwise. Morison has brought in decent players who would have commanded a decent fee had they been tied down elsewhere.

So Martin, top 2 for you as well.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:21 am

I just want to see some good football played for a change and be clear of relagation. Then build on that following season and challenge for promotion/playoffs

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Unfortunately alot of people equate transfer fees paid for players with success or otherwise. Morison has brought in decent players who would have commanded a decent fee had they been tied down elsewhere.

So Martin, top 2 for you as well.

More in hope than expectation. I haven't looked forward so much to a season for a long time. Morison knows people won't have much patience this season and I think he's planning to hit the ground running. The schedule in Oct is mental and could be the reason we are signing so many midfielders.Squad rotation will be important if we are to achieve anything and a high pressing game means we will need lots of bodies.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:40 am

It’s nothing to do with fees. It’s the fact that we have a brand new squad of players who have never played together before. Plus most of our players are from lower standard leagues. It’s very much the unknown which could go either way. We need a lot of time if we were to challenge for a play off spot in my opinion.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 am

piledriver64 wrote:
OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:

Keeper is as good as, if not better than, last season with Allsop, Alnwick and Phillips

Full backs look strong, not as good as Drameh admittedly !, but good players with back-up.

Centre backs, we've lost Flint and Morrison (for now) so we do need to strengthen. But Nelson, Ng and McGuinness are a good start.

Midfield, as I've said in a previous post looks much stronger, particularly if we sign Sawyers. We have 3 proven Championship midfielders in Wintle, Sawyers and Rinhomota as well as backup of Ralls, Adams, Colwill (if he's played there) and King.

Wide players we have Isaac Davies, Tanner plus one more would be good.

Striker is the big area for improvement. Harris and Watters are no more than back-ups at best. If we can sign a young Prem striker with potential on loan and another experienced striker then things are looking quite rosy.

The key is the final signings on loan and we may have to be patient on that but if we do get 1/2 decent strikers then I see no reason why we couldn't regard this squad as stronger than last years.

If we don't get a striker though, things will be really tough.

Full back, GK and holding midfield we are strong I agree. But we got nothing up front and our wingers are not the strongest on paper but they are young so hopefully they’ll prove themselves. Also not convinced at CB. NG for me is the weak link as he constantly has a mistake in him and I feel on edge when he’s in possession or being ran at. I’d feel a lot more comfortable with another CB, Winger, creative midfielder and 2 strikers. Not asking a lot :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 am

Top 6 ,I think would be a good season .

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:35 am

Sticking to a certain style and building a better position than last season is all id ask. As long as we can see a better style on the eye and more enjoyable to watch and improve on the league position then im happy. And not another derby double loss obviously. All about building for a brighter future for me. But when the season gets underway, theres no doubt we all get caught in the hype and want more.
A little cup run be nice, instead of the usual early exit

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:45 am

I think an exciting season and reason for Morison to be excited would to be envisage us being in the play-off hunt, and for arguments sake let's call that 12th place and upwards, that would be progress if we start pressing teams high up the pitch.

Last season was a borefest, so I see exciting as something we as fans of this club have got used to, which is being a upper-tier Championship club.

Players like Rinomhota, Adams and even Eli King can run for days... Compare that to the pedestrian midfield we have had for the last few seasons and that is something to be excited about.

I'm not going to wet myself due to lack of forwards so far, they will be added to the squad quite clearly.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Another season of transition, I don’t buy in to that anymore, heard that every season.
Morison has said he is over the moon with his signings, they have jelled and he has never been so excited about his players.
Top 2 should be looking at if they are all as good as Morison and Williams in Media Wales say they are.

You’re right in the fact that it always seems to be a transition season every year!

Top 2? No chance and you shouldn’t believe everything the manager or the media say. Morison is bound to be positive and big up his team. What else can he say that he’s hoping to be safe from relegation?

But there’s no getting away from the fact that this is an actual and real transition season. With virtually a whole new team and a newer type of style/tactics it can be nothing else.

For me a successful season would be an improvement on last season and whilst of course I’d love the playoffs I think top half and then continue to build.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:15 am

The voice of reason!

Indeed, of course Morison is going to talk up his team but any talk of the top two is ludicrous.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:16 am

SwanseaBluebird wrote:The voice of reason!

Indeed, of course Morison is going to talk up his team but any talk of the top two is ludicrous.

Thanks and I agree.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:21 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You’re right in the fact that it always seems to be a transition season every year!

Top 2? No chance and you shouldn’t believe everything the manager or the media say. Morison is bound to be positive and big up his team. What else can he say that he’s hoping to be safe from relegation?

But there’s no getting away from the fact that this is an actual and real transition season. With virtually a whole new team and a newer type of style/tactics it can be nothing else.

For me a successful season would be an improvement on last season and whilst of course I’d love the playoffs I think top half and then continue to build.

Paul,

Every season we hear we are sorting finances out and in a transition period, last season they through 12 players in to the first team making out the best young player we have ever seen, I was slated when I said NO way are their 12 brilliant players. Now most of them have been sent to lower leagues , even non leagues or given away, those same people never admit they were totally wrong. We nearly got relegated.

This season, Paul do you really think I believe these players are the most exciting players Morison has ever seen etc etc NO.
I do not believe the hype one bit.
But I will fully support them all and judge after 10-12 games, by then we will really see for ourselves, until then I fully am behind them all.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Paul,

Every season we hear we are sorting finances out and in a transition period, last season they through 12 players in to the first team making out the best young player we have ever seen, I was slated when I said NO way are their 12 brilliant players. Now most of them have been sent to lower leagues , even non leagues or given away, those same people never admit they were totally wrong. We nearly got relegated.

This season, Paul do you really think I believe these players are the most exciting players Morison has ever seen etc etc NO.
But I will fully support them all and judge after 10-12 games, by then we will really see for ourselves, until then I fully am behind them all.

Yes I agree it’s been comical in some respects but I really feel this is different. Morison will live or die with this as it’s his team 100% whilst in the past the managers have mostly had the players they’ve been stuck with and a few young inexperienced lads being pushed forward.

The unknown makes it exciting for me but the key for supporters will be patience.

We get our arses smacked against Norwich and you can imagine the negativity whilst for me we have to give it at least a dozen games (like you say) to bed in, adjust and for us to judge.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:49 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Paul,

Yes I agree it’s been comical in some respects but I really feel this is different. Morison will live or die with this as it’s his team 100% whilst in the past the managers have mostly had the players they’ve been stuck with and a few young inexperienced lads being pushed forward.

The unknown makes it exciting for me but the key for supporters will be patience.

We get our arses smacked against Norwich and you can imagine the negativity whilst for me we have to give it at least a dozen games (like you say) to bed in, adjust and for us to judge.

Paul,

I would absolutely love Morison to prove big doubters like myself wrong and as you say the whole team is 100% down to Morison NO one else.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:52 am

Promoted as runaway champions mid April