Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Will continue to take the knee despite the majo

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Whilst the majority of the clubs will not be taking the knee this season.

Also the EFL are not asking clubs to take the knee.

Swansea City will no longer be taking the knee and the majority of clubs will not be when they play Cardiff, Cardiff will continue to take the knee.

Cardiff City Squad Statement | Taking the Knee

Club News

Cardiff City Football Club and its First Team playing squad and staff will continue to observe the taking of the knee ahead of fixtures this season.

Members of Cardiff City’s First Team squad have asked for it to be reiterated to supporters on the eve of the season that this is not a political gesture, but because they wish to help keep the conversation around racism, inequality and discrimination in football and wider society moving forward.

Cardiff City Football Club remains unwaveringly committed to combating all forms of racism, inequality and discrimination that sadly continue to plague our sport. We ask all supporters to respect the taking of the knee, or indeed the decision of our opponents not to take the knee should this be their choice.

If you experience any form of racial or discriminatory abuse at Cardiff City Stadium or on the road this season, please feel safe and supported in contacting the Club to report this. You can email club@cardiffcityfc.co.uk or text 07554 158 224 and a member of our support staff will get back to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City Will continue to take the knee despite the

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:46 pm

It's had its day, time to stop now as it just looks silly and has lost any meaning it may have had to start with.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:It's had its day, time to stop now as it just looks silly and has lost any meaning it may have had to start with.

Everyone has their own opinion, seems the first team have made their choice.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:56 pm

At the end of the day we all have views on it and it’s appropriateness. But I think we need to respect that our players feel it is necessary to them. We should respect that view and support them to do the business on the field. I hope we don’t start booing our players If anyone were to disagree with the statement.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:01 pm

It doesn’t really accomplish anything imo but it shouldn’t bother people if they want to do it. Completely up to them

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:20 pm

I've Said all along taking the knee is still tarnished by its relationship with BLM ,do something different like turn there backs to the centre line before kick off etc ,Wales and Cardiff have never had any problems with racism anyway so don't see the point in it .

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm

ion wrote:I've Said all along taking the knee is still tarnished by its relationship with BLM ,do something different like turn there backs to the centre line before kick off etc ,Wales and Cardiff have never had any problems with racism anyway so don't see the point in it .

Agree our fan base is multicultural

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:35 pm

:happy1:

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:13 pm

I've never liked it as it's a BLM thing who proved to be a corrupt, divisive & racist organisation. At best it's now a token meaningless gesture that has run it's course and lost its initial impact. I also don't like that it insinuates that football is rife with racism, which in the UK it certainly is not. If players do want to make a gesture it is of course their choice and as much as it pains me to say it, I've just read the jacks statement on why they are no longer doing it and I agree entirely with what they will now be doing. And as someone has already said, Cardiff City and Wales have never had issues with racism.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:50 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I've never liked it as it's a BLM thing who proved to be a corrupt, divisive & racist organisation. At best it's now a token meaningless gesture that has run it's course and lost its initial impact. I also don't like that it insinuates that football is rife with racism, which in the UK it certainly is not. If players do want to make a gesture it is of course their choice and as much as it pains me to say it, I've just read the jacks statement on why they are no longer doing it and I agree entirely with what they will now be doing. And as someone has already said, Cardiff City and Wales have never had issues with racism.

I agree with you completely. I do not enter the bowl until that nonsense is over.

It does occur to me though, that when we play at the crumbling.com stadium they are bound to boo and jeer bigtime and I should think in that case that an extra motivational team huddle will not be required.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:08 pm

welshrarebit wrote:At the end of the day we all have views on it and it’s appropriateness. But I think we need to respect that our players feel it is necessary to them. We should respect that view and support them to do the business on the field. I hope we don’t start booing our players If anyone were to disagree with the statement.

I disagree. I don't respect anybody who wants to worship a Marxist organization. An ideology that has led to more deaths than any other in history.

I'm sure people wouldn't respect a team who decided to Roman salute before a game either.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:24 pm

Past it’s sell by date so Booooooo

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:53 pm

I wont boo but at the same time will not respect this gesture at all as it is totally meaningless

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:56 pm

7000 immigrant workers have died building Qatar’s world cup stadiums yet all the pampered millionaire players are happy to turn up and play in a country where human rights are dire.Money money money.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:24 pm

ion wrote:I've Said all along taking the knee is still tarnished by its relationship with BLM ,do something different like turn there backs to the centre line before kick off etc ,Wales and Cardiff have never had any problems with racism anyway so don't see the point in it .

Er, so you aren’t from Cardiff or the Valleys then??

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:52 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:

Having grown up in Cardiff,lived in the valleys, settled in London and spent a lot of time I'm the US, Middle East and Asia anecdotally, Wales and the UK in general, is a phenomenally non-rascist place.

Does that mean that racism doesn't exist here? Of course it doesn't. Idiot's exist everywhere.

However, is racism silently lurking on every corner to the point we need to be reminded of it everytime we go and watch the football?

No, it isn't.

Does constantly referencing racism as a major problem in places it doesn't exist as a major problem bring it more into the public consciousness and make it a big problem than it was?

I'll leave that open to debate.

:ayatollah:

Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:04 pm

Personally don't see the issue, players had the choice and have chosen to do so. It takes 10 seconds to do and doesn't affect anyone at the stadium

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:26 pm

WelshSerb wrote:Personally don't see the issue, players had the choice and have chosen to do so. It takes 10 seconds to do and doesn't affect anyone at the stadium

My understanding was that (until now) it was a directive that some (not many) players rejected; similar to other sports

For me, it makes not a lit of difference whether they do it or not but it was tainted once BLM as a group were exposed

What I will say is that it highlighted some of the issues that still exist and also exposed the vociferous few who sought to force their own nefarious agendas on the subject

Time to move to more meaningful acts rather than gestures?

I'd say so...! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:11 am

If even a single kid asks their parent why the players are kneeling and gets an honest response about the reality of racism at football and in wider society then the knee is achieving its job.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 am

mucker wrote:7000 immigrant workers have died building Qatar’s world cup stadiums yet all the pampered millionaire players are happy to turn up and play in a country where human rights are dire.Money money money.

Are you shocked life is about pretence and gestures that the snowflake, woke society demands , the same people don't practise what they preach

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:

Having grown up in Cardiff,lived in the valleys, settled in London and spent a lot of time I'm the US, Middle East and Asia anecdotally, Wales and the UK in general, is a phenomenally non-rascist place.

Does that mean that racism doesn't exist here? Of course it doesn't. Idiot's exist everywhere.

However, is racism silently lurking on every corner to the point we need to be reminded of it everytime we go and watch the football?

No, it isn't.

Does constantly referencing racism as a major problem in places it doesn't exist as a major problem bring it more into the public consciousness and make it a big problem than it was?

I'll leave that open to debate.

:ayatollah:

Well said.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Makes no difference to me if they do or not :bluebird: