Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: BREAKING: ANDY CARROLL ON WAY TO CCS?

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Updated:

we showed interest but his wages were to high for us so it’s a no

Andy Carroll signing on a pay as you play, according to Nathan Blake (talking on Radio Wales Live)

BREAKING: ANDY CARROLL ON WAY TO CCS?

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:21 pm

Not against this at all. Would be something different if we are chasing a game or need a vocal point up top.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:24 pm

can't be a starter, so a strange one for me, unless we think we have a chance of doing something this season.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:25 pm

Think he will be a good signing in this team,

Re: BREAKING: ANDY CARROLL ON WAY TO CCS?

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:50 pm

Body is very brittle but when he’s fit he knows how to score goals. If the rumour is true of course. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:50 pm

Was excellent for reading last sesson

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Let’s hope the club have learned from past signings.

Carroll has to be either a short term contract or pay as you play, or both.

But not against the signing. But still need another 2 strikers in my opinion.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:58 pm

Pay as you play deal will be OK. Injury prone? Yes. A handful for defenders? Yes . A goalscorer? Yes.

You can either start him to soften up the defenders, or play him from 70 mins on to take advantage of a tired defence.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Pay as you play deal will be OK. Injury prone? Yes. A handful for defenders? Yes . A goalscorer? Yes.

You can either start him to soften up the defenders, or play him from 70 mins on to take advantage of a tired defence.

With 5 subs per team (hence 7 minutes addex time today) an abundance of fresh faces late are going to have a big ompact as the season goes on...

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Worth a punt if true but he can’t be the only striker we sign as he won’t play enough games

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:15 pm

Sven wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Pay as you play deal will be OK. Injury prone? Yes. A handful for defenders? Yes . A goalscorer? Yes.

With 5 subs per team (hence 7 minutes addex time today) an abundance of fresh faces late are going to have a big ompact as the season goes on...

Is the added time not per substitution event? I.e. max 3 lots of subs at 30 seconds per event? Surely its not 30 seconds per substituted player?

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:31 pm

I know we are in need of a striker but there must be a better fit than Carroll available. He's 34 in January and made of glass. Morison wants to keep the ball on the floor, he's a Warnock like signing.
C'mon guys, this smacks of desperation.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:39 pm

Would be surprised if we were seriously looking at him.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:44 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Would be surprised if we were seriously looking at him.

It was a rumour straught from Blakey, who (rightly IMHO) declined to name his source

Personally, I'll accept anyone the manager thinks will come and make a difference; but the caveat is whether we would get the marquee Andy Carroll or the fragile one?

The former would be class in the Championship :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:53 pm

Pay as you pay would be a good deal for both if he comes…atleast gives us another option upfront …just hope another striker is going to sign as even if Carroll joins , we still look very lightweight up front

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm

Watters today looked poor .one pace.no turn of pace .in wrong position.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:18 pm

On a pay per play contract I can’t see how we can lose on this one.

He showed at Reading that he can play at this level. People look at him and just talk about his aerial ability but they forget how good he is on the floor.

I think he’d do well in this team and will certainly join up the play better than Watters will ever do.

I hope this happens and not just gossip.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:47 pm

Oh please be just a horrible rumour. I had a cardiac arrest 6 months ago yesterday - and I still believe I could beat him in a footrace. He has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier and is the exact opposite of the high tempo game the team played today. Don't touch him with a bargepole!! :banghead:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:45 am

You could put dave up the road from the dog and duck on a Sunday morning in the team as far as im concerned and he would do more than watters so if this is true atleast Carroll would win one header a game so we would be gaining already :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:17 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:You could put dave up the road from the dog and duck on a Sunday morning in the team as far as im concerned and he would do more than watters so if this is true atleast Carroll would win one header a game so we would be gaining already :bluescarf:

Spot on !! Whatever wage we’re paying Watters is too much !!

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:You could put dave up the road from the dog and duck on a Sunday morning in the team as far as im concerned and he would do more than watters so if this is true atleast Carroll would win one header a game so we would be gaining already :bluescarf:

Didn't to anything except couple layoffs but in fairness no service playing 40yds from goal.... been ok if he was 20ft high as that is where all crosses went... until we learn to play ball behind defenders we will have same problem with every striker we have ..... unfair to criticise him criticism should be directed at the service he had... pukki had the same service and hes a prolific championship striker and he was worse than watters... must give all players time to get use to the physicality and pace of league before slagging off individuals? Friendlies not the same..

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:32 am

We showed interest but his wages were to high for us so it’s a no

Re: UPDATED: BREAKING: ANDY CARROLL ON WAY TO CCS?

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:03 am

Not disappointed. We move on.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:We showed interest but his wages were to high for us so it’s a no

At last we are learning Annis.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:14 am

Barclay1 wrote:
Sven wrote:

Is the added time not per substitution event? I.e. max 3 lots of subs at 30 seconds per event? Surely its not 30 seconds per substituted player?

Not necessarily, as the former may take longer so up to the officials to add...

I can see rugby-style time keepers coming soon :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:43 am

Absolutely how I see it, unfortunately, I’ve really wanted Watters to do well but he just doesn’t move!! Harris done more closing down in 5 minutes of coming on than Watters had done from the start!

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:54 am

Didn't to anything except couple layoffs but in fairness no service playing 40yds from goal.... been ok if he was 20ft high as that is where all crosses went... until we learn to play ball behind defenders we will have same problem with every striker we have ..... unfair to criticise him criticism should be directed at the service he had... pukki had the same service and hes a prolific championship striker and he was worse than watters... must give all players time to get use to the physicality and pace of league before slagging off individuals? Friendlies not the same..[/quote]

Absolute rubbish, may have been true of the last few years teams but to say that any striker would struggle in this team is a bit of a joke. I saw more forward momentum in yesterdays midfield than the last 3 years midfields put together! Watters doesn’t make the runs your talking about so it’s impossible to play balls behind their defenders. Xavi and Iniesta in their prime couldn’t find Max Watters with a ball behind the defence as he simply wouldn’t be there! We are two decent strikers from being a very good championship team I feel.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:17 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Didn't to anything except couple layoffs but in fairness no service playing 40yds from goal.... been ok if he was 20ft high as that is where all crosses went... until we learn to play ball behind defenders we will have same problem with every striker we have ..... unfair to criticise him criticism should be directed at the service he had... pukki had the same service and hes a prolific championship striker and he was worse than watters... must give all players time to get use to the physicality and pace of league before slagging off individuals? Friendlies not the same..

Sorry can’t agree with that. He made virtually zero runs and didn’t hold the ball up once despite having it played in to feet.

I said elsewhere that Collins put a beauty of a near post cross in the first half. All Watters had to do was make a run infront of the defender and it was either a shot on goal or penalty. But he just stood there not making a move, then he had the cheek to have a go at Collins !!

Watters had a real chance to impress yesterday but didn’t work hard enough or look like any sort of threat.

I’m no big fan of Harris either but at least he was a nuisance to the back four and had a real go at stretching play.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:51 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Sorry can’t agree with that. He made virtually zero runs and didn’t hold the ball up once despite having it played in to feet.

I said elsewhere that Collins put a beauty of a near post cross in the first half. All Watters had to do was make a run infront of the defender and it was either a shot on goal or penalty. But he just stood there not making a move, then he had the cheek to have a go at Collins !!

Watters had a real chance to impress yesterday but didn’t work hard enough or look like any sort of threat.

I’m no big fan of Harris either but at least he was a nuisance to the back four and had a real go at stretching play.

Yes failed couple of times to hold ball but where was support for him plus mostly 40yds out? Harris was lively but that's it what else did he do? got put some perspective on things we had 3 shots no chances created for anyone to score but plenty of crosses 30ft in air we do not have a giraffe as a forward.... if watters missed chances will have a point but how can anyone judge player who got no support or got given ball with back to goal 40yrds out? We need to create chances for our forwards no matter who it is or will have same as yesterday.

Re: UPDATED: BREAKING: ANDY CARROLL ON WAY TO CCS?

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:00 pm

Trouble is that he’s not getting the chances because he’s not making the runs.

Hopefully we’ll get a couple of strikers in and both Harris and Watters will just be back up. I just can’t see Watters making it at this level no pace, no football intelligence and no work rate. Not a good combination !!