Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dean Smiths Reaction to Cardiff City:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:50 am

DEAN SMITHS REACTION TO CARDIFF CITY:

Norwich City head coach Dean Smith has given canaries.co.uk his reaction to Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Cardiff City.

DEAN SMITH:

"Very disappointed to come away with nothing," he said. "We didn't deserve to come away with nothing. It wasn't a great game in terms of chances. They're xG (expected goals) is probably 0.04. I know Romaine [Sawyers] very well and that certainly wasn't a shot, that was a pass that got deflected in.

"But we weren't good enough in the final third. Our final ball wasn't quite right, our delivery or pass wasn't quite right. I thought it was a scrappy first ten minutes, then I thought we totally controlled the first half after that.

"We've got in really good areas and Dimi got a great chance to lay it on a plate for Sarge to score and make it 1-0. We had another one at the end where Sam McCallum could've put Onel in. It was just our final ball that was lacking. That's something that we'll certainly be working on this week."

Perry Ng was sent off for Cardiff in the 74th minute and Grant Hanley got a second yellow card in the 85th.

"I don't think we've had many booked at all," Smith said, when asked about the discipline.

"Grant's the only one. It was an emotional atmosphere here, you could see that and you could see from their bench how emotional they were, but the boy Ng has kicked Teemu as he's getting up and started a melee.

"Grant put two hands on his chest so I don't know why he went down holding his nose. Four of them got cautioned and only one of ours, but it was silly when Grant was on a caution to trip the lad and get the second yellow."

Liam Gibbs and Danel Sinani came on for their City debuts, while Jordan Hugill, Onel Hernandez and Sam McCallum were also introduced later on.

"Whether I'm happy or not, we have to use it," Smith said regarding the increase in substitutions allowed. "It's there for us and we'll use it as we see fit. We had to try to get back in the game there. We hadn't created enough opportunities."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Dean Smiths Reaction to Cardiff City:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 am

I was at the game yesterday and was obviously watching something totally different to what this clown saw!!! He was actually at the CCS, was he?

It is quite obvious that, as the Manager of an ex-premier team, he feels entitled. I have news for you Mr Smith......this is THE CHAMPIONSHIP.....nothing comes easy and NO team is entitled.

Our work effort and team spirit were huge yesterday, it was plain to see that every player in a blue shirt were playing for each other, helping each other when a pass went astray and fighting for each other the way a proper TEAM should do.

One swallow does not make a summer, but after yesterday's performance I have no fear of a relegation battle. The only place to look and strive for is above.

If we can wangle a couple of decent strikers I honestly believe the world is our oyster. More of the same please... :bluebird:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:02 am

What a complete and utter bitter idiot Dean Smith is. What’s with the ‘their expected goal rate Is 0.04’ all about? We had a completely new team but he’s so pig ignorant, he tries to belittle us anyway. Complete and utter wet wipe who I can’t wait to watch get the sack before Christmas once again. If he truly believes his team was squeaky clean yesterday then that tells you all you need to know about that fool. As above, welcome to the championship (again) Dean!!! :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:06 am

He sounds like most of their fans to be fair. Bitter, entitled, deluded... Go and have a read of their forum! Calling us Millwall! Hahaha

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:26 am

Bumped into some Norwich fans before the game, I asked them so what do you reckon today?
And they replied with " an easy win"
Shame their team didn't have the same confidence.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:31 am

if you listened to Lee Hendrie on sky sports Cardiff were excellent and deserved the win.....i will be cheering on anyone playing Norwich this year

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:35 am

Well it didn't take us long to get into it all.

The biasness coming from everyone amuses me. Some makes fool of themselves while others get under peoples skins with it. Its an emotional subject and when you are making a living out of it sometimes you say things that just makes you come from another planet. We have a full 9 months of this coming our way.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:43 am

When you've got the expectation to contend with he has you tend to say anything to make an excuse and I dare say at the training ground on monday his message will be different to the one he put out yesterday which is just trying to placate their fans. Welcome to the championship lads.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:53 am

Morrison out done him with a squad of free transfers and loans while Norwich had a stacked squad with McCallum costing more than our whole match day squad. I do love the championship

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:11 am

I love the reaction, no more easy rides at the CCS - Perfect !!!

I thought Norwich had a bit of a big-time charlie view of themselves, falling over all over the place the ref fell for it too many times.
This probably helps Dean Smith reset their squad's expectations. I was surprised he left it so late to bring Hugil on as well as they couldn't get time in a congested aggressive midfield to slot Pukki in behind our center halfs

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:07 am

That’s what made laugh when I watched his interview, how the hell can he say the better team lost? Norwich didn’t do a lot, and considering they were ex PL with most of the team that played in the PL last season, they were very poor, I’m glad they got nothing, just what they deserved with the Ref on their side aswell, horrible team.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:35 am

jimmy_rat wrote:He sounds like most of their fans to be fair. Bitter, entitled, deluded... Go and have a read of their forum! Calling us Millwall! Hahaha

Yes I read some of their forum untilI got fed up. They gave us very little credit

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 am

Bluebird 67 wrote:if you listened to Lee Hendrie on sky sports Cardiff were excellent and deserved the win.....i will be cheering on anyone playing Norwich this year

I seem to recall there was no love lost between Lee Hendrie and the City fans when he was a player.

However I have always found him a decent analyst of the game and he was very fair to us

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:58 am

Just excuses from the managers book of excuses but you cannot ignore the facts from the game and that was Cardiff, as a team, out fought Norwich it's as simple as that.

Dean Smith has over 500 games as a manager where as Steve Morison has not reached 40 yet but the question is Who did the better job? In my opinion it's Morison by a million miles. We were set up to play to play high press high intensity football and it worked and despite his greater managerial experience and a team full of Premier League experience he couldn't do anything to change the game in his teams favour.

Because of our high press game we dispossessed Norwich 21 times( the top 5 worst culprits were all Norwich players) they managed only 4 against us, in terms of tackles we won 28 against 14 for Norwich ( 4 of the top performing players were Cardiff Players) another clear indication of the success of how we set up, Norwich also had twice as many unforced errors like over hitting passes or kicking the ball out of play (Krul was the worst offender with misplaced passes). During the melee our players stood up to Norwich players and showed them we are not about to be bullied by anyone another very positive sign in my opinion.

Despite his lack of managerial experience Steve Morison has rebuilt our squad this summer and every player he signed has fitted in to how he wants us to play ( no square pegs in round holes) and yesterday he took Dean Smith to church and made him look very poor in comparison.

Going forward we are still a work in progress and despite the positives yesterday we should take nothing for granted but for me it was a great start.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:51 am

Dean Smith comes over as entitled, bitter and full of excuses, Morison wouldn't have spouted such crap if they had beaten us. On their forum, our match hadn't got a single mention all week apart from their potential team, they really think they're a cut above. And now their forum reads just like the their managers deluded nonsense, they remind me of Fulham fans, soppy farts.

But in the week many had commented after their Celtic defeat that the Celtic squad would have the ability to win the championship and also that the current Norwich squad was much better than the one 12 months ago. Well if any of that's true and after our display, it certainly bodes very well for us.

Welcome to the championship yer soppy bollox.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:02 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:Dean Smith comes over as entitled, bitter and full of excuses, Morison wouldn't have spouted such crap if they had beaten us. On their forum, our match hadn't got a single mention all week apart from their potential team, they really think they're a cut above. And now their forum reads just like the their managers deluded nonsense, they remind me of Fulham fans, soppy farts.

But in the week many had commented after their Celtic defeat that the Celtic squad would have the ability to win the championship and also that the current Norwich squad was much better than the one 12 months ago. Well if any of that's true and after our display, it certainly bodes very well for us.

Nicely put, mate :thumbup: :laughing6:

As their famous owner (or one of) once said (quote) "Letsby Avenue...!"

Deliah, we certainly did...! ;) :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :laughing6:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:06 am

castleblue wrote:Just excuses from the managers book of excuses but you cannot ignore the facts from the game and that was Cardiff, as a team, out fought Norwich it's as simple as that.

Dean Smith has over 500 games as a manager where as Steve Morison has not reached 40 yet but the question is Who did the better job? In my opinion it's Morison by a million miles. We were set up to play to play high press high intensity football and it worked and despite his greater managerial experience and a team full of Premier League experience he couldn't do anything to change the game in his teams favour.

Because of our high press game we dispossessed Norwich 21 times( the top 5 worst culprits were all Norwich players) they managed only 4 against us, in terms of tackles we won 28 against 14 for Norwich ( 4 of the top performing players were Cardiff Players) another clear indication of the success of how we set up, Norwich also had twice as many unforced errors like over hitting passes or kicking the ball out of play (Krul was the worst offender with misplaced passes). During the melee our players stood up to Norwich players and showed them we are not about to be bullied by anyone another very positive sign in my opinion.

Despite his lack of managerial experience Steve Morison has rebuilt our squad this summer and every player he signed has fitted in to how he wants us to play ( no square pegs in round holes) and yesterday he took Dean Smith to church and made him look very poor in comparison.

Going forward we are still a work in progress and despite the positives yesterday we should take nothing for granted but for me it was a great start.

Could I ask, which site do you get those stats from please? I'm a bit of a sad stato and love that kind of stuff!

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:10 am

Apart from take a Villa team full of stars into the prem via play offs, has he done anything else of note managerially?

Don’t get why he’s so highly rated. Norwich we’re very average despite the quality they had in their team. We won a tight, scrappy game against 12 men (that ref….) and he’s trying to say Sawyers goal was a fluke. Got beaten by a team that wanted it so much more.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 am

Cantwell is a very very good player, everything they did of note started with him. We set about them with intent not just to close them down and nulify but to actually play ourselves. Such a relief to see this kind of football. I can take the odd defeat if we compete. Mad Mick was so off the pace with his football, it really does make you think that he was just here for a pay day.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:50 am

Frosty_Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:Just excuses from the managers book of excuses but you cannot ignore the facts from the game and that was Cardiff, as a team, out fought Norwich it's as simple as that.

Could I ask, which site do you get those stats from please? I'm a bit of a sad stato and love that kind of stuff!

There are loads but the best one is whoscored.com

Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:33 pm

I was there and thought City had more about them in terms of threat .

Smith should chat to his lazy striker Pucky,if he put the same effort into getting in the box as he does to falling over and moaning he'd be world class .

The blonde girl in the headband was no better with moans.

His centre back looks like he's enterhis twilight era , our lad from WBA was far better.

Our midfield engine room was great , lots of one touch & pacey stuff..

Bloody good day out ..

Top 6 potentially..

Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:53 pm

Sven wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:Dean Smith comes over as entitled, bitter and full of excuses, Morison wouldn't have spouted such crap if they had beaten us. On their forum, our match hadn't got a single mention all week apart from their potential team, they really think they're a cut above. And now their forum reads just like the their managers deluded nonsense, they remind me of Fulham fans, soppy farts.

Nicely put, mate :thumbup: :laughing6:

As their famous owner (or one of) once said (quote) "Letsby Avenue...!"

Deliah, we certainly did...! ;) :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :laughing6:

I think I saw a photo of Delia and she didn't look to happy. She should bake Dean a cake that includes lemons as he obviously likes things that are bitter.
:thumbup:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:21 pm

What a pass by Sawyers for the goal though.
Dean Ashton on ITV said he doesn't understand what Smith's strategy is. He, sounds a right idiot.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:37 pm

stickywicket wrote:What a pass by Sawyers for the goal though..

:laughing5: :clap:

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:42 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
stickywicket wrote:What a pass by Sawyers for the goal though..

:laughing5: :clap:

Should be questioning why his defender allowed the pass to hit him and deflect it in from 20yrds? :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:44 am

Utter nonsense it was obiously a shot and we deserved the win, we had to play their sixteen players and the ref!!!

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:26 am

History has proved, in the past, that you get out of this division with a good team spirit. We had that when Malky took us up.

When Perry got sent off, the team didn't want a draw. They set out to maintain the win and even tried to get the 2nd goal.

We might not have been the better side, but we had more fight and team spirit and that's what will win us matches this season.