Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Bluebirds' new playmaker struck the winning goal in the

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:10 am

The Bluebirds' new playmaker Sawyer struck the winning goal in the opening day triumph over Norwich and admits he was bowled over by the Cardiff City Stadium factor.

Cardiff fans and players created great energy together in what for many supporters was their best experience watching their team for years.

SAWYER:

"The atmosphere was incredible. Coming off the bus lots of people were there clapping. It helps us give extra fight. If we perform like that I'm sure sure they'll be happy.

"They can't expect us to be perfection, but provided we have the right ethos, mentality and are willing to do it, I'm sure they'll accept that. We showed great resilience, proved that without the ball we can be good."

That resolute attitude came across during the second-half flashpoint when a number of Cardiff players, plus Norwich skipper Grant Hanley, were booked.

"Times like that are going to be a bit frantic, but if we keep our calmness our quality will come through. We wont be a pushover. The manager has stature, he's a big guy, and we echoed that in the team," continued Sawyers.

As for his winning goal from distance, Sawyers smiled: "From when I hit it, to when it hit back of net, it was almost like a slow mo moment. I kind of froze, wait, has it gone in?"