Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who starts at the back?

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:14 am

Ng out against Reading. Who would you but next to Kipre?

I'm going to say Denham first choice, then McGuiness followed by Nelson.

A chance for Denham to really get stuck in. I think this season will be make or break for him to be honest

Re: Who starts at the back?

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 am

I think Denham too.

However, I don’t think it’s a make-or-break season for him. Give the lad a chance. He’s been around the first team for 5 minutes.

Centre backs don’t peak until late 20’s usually. The lad will be absolutely fine. Not a chance it’s a make or break season for him!

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:34 am

It'll be Nelson

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 am

Of all the options. Nelson was on the bench. So my guess is it will be him.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:05 am

paulh_85 wrote:It'll be Nelson

Of course, the only defender named on the subs bench on Saturday.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am

It will be Nelson who looked quite solid when he came on, he’s clearly better in a back 4 than a 3. I’d like to see Denham given a go though.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 am

Definitely Nelson in my opinion.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:43 am

Denham is full of potential, and Nelson has a lot of experience. McGuinness is a bit of a question mark, but I hope that Morison feels confident enough in all of them to rotate through defenders where necessary.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:56 am

Feel abit sorry for McGuiness, performed admirably in his first season in the champ with a really inexperienced squad around him. He would have been the first CB on the teamsheet for me this season but SM obviously sees more and had decided he isn’t ready/deserving yet.

I’m not a Nelson fan at all but do agree that he looks far more comfortable in a back four than a back three, he also has Collins on his side, who is a lot more solid than Bagan. Maybe we will see a better Nelson this season but I would still give McGuinness another go before him.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:15 am

I’d personally pick denham for our style of play we are going for, it doesn’t suit nelson being on the ball.
I fully understand why he came on though when he did, and out of the 3choices when defending a lead I’d pick nelson every time as he will put his body on the line and in that situation is the best defender. But starting a game and playing our style without too much pressure I’d play denham as he’s the best out of the three on the ball!

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:15 am

Most centre backs make mistakes and NG gave the ball away a few times on Saturday. Once almost costing us a goal.
McGuiness made more than most last season but Morison seems to prefer Nelson.

Denham will get his chance but maybe not yet.
Good to have so many choice available though.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:33 am

I'tll take time for the younger 2 centre backs to establish themselves but time is well on their side.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:40 pm

I don't trust any of them and hope we sign another centre back.