Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Max Watters unhappy? ‘

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Max Watters was nailed on to be Cardiff’s main striker this season after Steve Morison praised Watters daily during the pre-season friendlies.

But against Reading on Saturday, Watters given even less time than he was during the Norwich game and then Steve Morison only afforded him seven second-half minutes before hooking him off.

That decision was met by a telling reaction from the striker. When his number 36 flashed up on the board, he turned to the dugout, shrugged his shoulders and dropped his head in exasperation.

Romaine Sawyers had to console the forward during his trudge off. In some ways, it's a positive reaction, no manager will want to see their players happy to be removed from proceedings, but it told its own story, really.

Max Watters aged 23. 13 appearances / 1 goal Bluebirds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Max Watters unhappy? ‘

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:49 pm

Play him Tuesday, give him some confidence

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:58 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Play him Tuesday, give him some confidence

Mike,
I am Not Watters biggest fan but after Glen Williams ( Media Wales ) & Dalman made out we had brought in an unbelievable hot shot and made him virtually out to be the answer to all our striking problems after just 15 games with Crawley Town and then said we had paid £1mill / bullocks , later retracted to £200,000.
The lad has never been given a proper run.

I thought Watters deserved at least a run of 5 full games as Harris is 1,000% not the answer.

So yes give Watters a run and then let’s really see?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:58 pm

He needs a goal and maybe it may kick start him. I think he is a very capable finisher but his positioning and hold up play are not there yet. The ball has to stick if you are a lone striker and it rarely does with him. I hope he plays tomorrow and people really get behind him. What is not going to improve of him is criticism and I do worry whether Morison's tough love approach and whether this is going to work either.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:09 pm

Replies Twitter:

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:09 pm

Reply FB:

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:11 pm

Reply Twitter:

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Max Watters was nailed on to be Cardiff’s main striker this season after Steve Morison praised Watters daily during the pre-season friendlies.

But against Reading on Saturday, Watters given even less time than he was during the Norwich game and then Steve Morison only afforded him seven second-half minutes before hooking him off.

That decision was met by a telling reaction from the striker. When his number 36 flashed up on the board, he turned to the dugout, shrugged his shoulders and dropped his head in exasperation.

Romaine Sawyers had to console the forward during his trudge off. In some ways, it's a positive reaction, no manager will want to see their players happy to be removed from proceedings, but it told its own story, really.

Max Watters aged 23. 13 appearances / 1 goal Bluebirds

Watters did indeed trudge off unhappily and Sawyers did try to console him but what they didn’t include was that Watters sort of pushed RS away.
Personally I think his time here is up. Play Harris instead as at least he puts a shift in and looks like he gives a f@ck. deffo need another striker though.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm

I've been saying for a while that he needs a run of games but as usual with some on here a run of games means 1 game and he has to score at least 2 goals, or that's the way it seems. Part of the problem is that they are always held up as the answer to our problems & very rarely are and that fans expect them to score straight out of the gate and get on at them when they don't.

Fair play to Annis, he agreed with me at the start of the season about needing to give him a run and it appears we both still feel the same.

Harris is not the answer, I get that people seem to like the fact that he runs around a lot but that's not what is needed, he just runs into a dead end almost every time or falls over & if we're lucky he wins a free kick which we then waste by passing it short & losing the ball or kicking it into row z in a feeble attempt at a shot.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:06 pm

If the gaffer doesn't rate him or anyone else for that matter he's still gonna big them up until he can get them through the door.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:I've been saying for a while that he needs a run of games but as usual with some on here a run of games means 1 game and he has to score at least 2 goals, or that's the way it seems. Part of the problem is that they are always held up as the answer to our problems & very rarely are and that fans expect them to score straight out of the gate and get on at them when they don't.

Fair play to Annis, he agreed with me at the start of the season about needing to give him a run and it appears we both still feel the same.

Harris is not the answer, I get that people seem to like the fact that he runs around a lot but that's not what is needed, he just runs into a dead end almost every time or falls over & if we're lucky he wins a free kick which we then waste by passing it short & losing the ball or kicking it into row z in a feeble attempt at a shot.

I agree that Harris isn’t the answer but we looked far more dangerous when he came on. I do understand that tactics may have changed to allow this but his basic holding up of the ball and generally making life a bit more uncomfortable for his marker was far more apparent than when Watters was on.
I understand your point about a run of games but sometimes you can just see that a player just isn’t cut out for this level and it was plain to see on Saturday that he isn’t. I missed the Norwich game but my mate said his performance was similar then.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Ste people sayi g he as got to create his own chances by getting ball 40yrds from goal? Because no one is giving him any service or creating opportunities for him to score.... it's ok criticising his hold up play ect when hes marked by 2 or 3 players ...... he is not a lone striker that's obvious for all to see so why play him as one?....perhaps he should just run around looking busy like others and let someone else score..... other question is why do we give Harris a partner upfront when hes on pitch but not watters?..:roll:

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:37 pm

I don’t rate Watters. For someone trying to prove himself he just doesn’t do enough work to make things happen.

I actually disagree with people who say he’ll score goals with the right service because he just doesn’t make the right runs to get him into position to even have a chance. Norwich was the perfect example of that.

I don’t think Harris will make it either but at least he puts a shift in and closes down the back four. He’s certainly trying harder to prove himself than Watters in my opinion.

Let’s hope the rumour about the young Welsh kid from Everton on loan are true.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Ste people sayi g he as got to create his own chances by getting ball 40yrds from goal? Because no one is giving him any service or creating opportunities for him to score.... it's ok criticising his hold up play ect when hes marked by 2 or 3 players ...... he is not a lone striker that's obvious for all to see so why play him as one?....perhaps he should just run around looking busy like others and let someone else score..... other question is why do we give Harris a partner upfront when hes on pitch but not watters?..:roll:

Tactics had changed by the time Harris was put on but I do see your point that he certainly isn’t a lone striker.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 pm

He's a bit out of his depth, I'm not sure he will ever make a Championship Striker, it would be better for him and us if we could sell him to a first division club for a low fee and get someone capable in asap.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:17 pm

piledriver64 wrote:I don’t rate Watters. For someone trying to prove himself he just doesn’t do enough work to make things happen.

I actually disagree with people who say he’ll score goals with the right service because he just doesn’t make the right runs to get him into position to even have a chance. Norwich was the perfect example of that.

I don’t think Harris will make it either but at least he puts a shift in and closes down the back four. He’s certainly trying harder to prove himself than Watters in my opinion.

That’s a fair post imo. Who’s the Welsh Everton kid?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:48 pm

I'd get shot. He acted as if we owe him something. When all he is, is bang average.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Just not good enough whatever is said on here about him.
I’ve seen virtually zilch in him since he’s been here. People talk about his runs! Nonsense he hasn’t got a clue.

He doesn’t work hard enough, he doesn’t go looking for the ball, he’s not up to this standard.

You could see the difference immediately when Hugil played.
He didn’t score that many but he was constantly involved, went looking, held up and linked up play brilliantly at times even in a shite side that we had.
He did everything Watters can’t do.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Hes just not up to championship standard.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:20 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:I don’t rate Watters. For someone trying to prove himself he just doesn’t do enough work to make things happen.

That’s a fair post imo. Who’s the Welsh Everton kid?

Nathan Broadhead - close to going back out on loan to Sunderland or Wigan

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh ... on-player/

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:21 pm

wez1927 wrote:Hes just not up to championship standard.

Just a reminder:

Wez1927
Probably the best signing since chopra by this transfer committee,it seems that if a player does well its the mangers signing if they do badly its the committee,it's been a theme over the years with some fans

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:35 pm

How would have Earnie dealt with a 4141 lone striker ?

is our central midfield good enough to go 2 vs 3 to allow us to play 442 ? I doubt it.

He has good penalty box movement but at championship level isn't either quick, strong or mobile enough to influence the game in open play, so its 10 vs 11 in many games.
He doesn't offer you the 40 yard lob over the centre half to keep the full backs honest, isn't strong enough to concern the center halfs and he doesn't buzz around to cause issues for the toss-around at the back teams.

I wanted him to do well, but I can see him going on a permanent transfer within the next few weeks. He is a Phil Stant, a lower leagues terror. We'll easily get our money back.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:01 pm

I'm not quite sure what he is doing. The manager spoke strongly in support a few weeks back and I do think he can finish (e.g. Swindon goal),but, he stands around a bit too much for me. Same as when McCarthy gave him a chance. Perhaps he can play off the new centre forward and that is the plan.
However as it stands I am unhappy with Max Watters.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm

C. Rombie-Coat wrote:I'm not quite sure what he is doing. The manager spoke strongly in support a few weeks back and I do think he can finish (e.g. Swindon goal),but, he stands around a bit too much for me. Same as when McCarthy gave him a chance. Perhaps he can play off the new centre forward and that is the plan.

I get what you’re saying, and maybe Watters isn’t up to it, but for me, a proper striker doesn’t have to run about all game. Take Halaand, obviously massive gap in talent but Halaand looks disinterested most of the game. When the ball finally comes to him or he can see a gap to receive a pass he comes to life. Then you got a striker with a good work rate like Firminho but lacks goals. I do believe if Watters just lingered up top and got the correct service for his way of playing he would fair a lot better.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:27 pm

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:I'm not quite sure what he is doing. The manager spoke strongly in support a few weeks back and I do think he can finish (e.g. Swindon goal),but, he stands around a bit too much for me. Same as when McCarthy gave him a chance. Perhaps he can play off the new centre forward and that is the plan.

I get what you’re saying, and maybe Watters isn’t up to it, but for me, a proper striker doesn’t have to run about all game. Take Halaand, obviously massive gap in talent but Halaand looks disinterested most of the game. When the ball finally comes to him or he can see a gap to receive a pass he comes to life. Then you got a striker with a good work rate like Firminho but lacks goals. I do believe if Watters just lingered up top and got the correct service for his way of playing he would fair a lot better.

but as well as being a brilliant finisher he is a physical beast

In a 2020 game for his current club Borussia Dortmund, a TV station clocked him sprinting 60m in just 6.64 seconds, a time which would have put him in the World Championship athletics indoor final in 2018. It is a staggering feat, as the world record by US athlete Christian Coleman stands at 6.34 seconds.11 May 2022

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-26940734

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Hes just not up to championship standard.

Just a reminder:

Wez1927
Probably the best signing since chopra by this transfer committee,it seems that if a player does well its the mangers signing if they do badly its the committee,it's been a theme over the years with some fans

? I never said that about watters ?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:14 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:

but as well as being a brilliant finisher he is a physical beast

In a 2020 game for his current club Borussia Dortmund, a TV station clocked him sprinting 60m in just 6.64 seconds, a time which would have put him in the World Championship athletics indoor final in 2018. It is a staggering feat, as the world record by US athlete Christian Coleman stands at 6.34 seconds.11 May 2022

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-26940734

That he is. The only comparison is the work rate when he’s not involved in play. No question Halaand is head and shoulders above in every department :lol: Just making a point that Halaand is a goal scoring machine that doesn’t chase down every ball or track back. Then Firmino has incredible work rate yet his goal scoring isn’t that good. So we don’t need a striker to be running his guts out pointlessly chasing defender that pass it back and forth. We need a striker that’s up top ready to pounce with the right service from midfield/wings. Just my own thoughts anyway

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:00 pm

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:

I've said numerous times watters does not get the service he requires or any striker for that matter.... how many opportunities as the wide players or midfielders have created in 2 games for anyone nevermind watters? We want striker to be near goal but that is impossible when ball goes nowhere near goal from open play..... garauntee theres not one person who thinks watters can do lone striker role so why does morison insist on playing that way? You do not have to run around to be effective just be in right place unfortunately watters doesnt get any opportunity to do that.... people say about Harris and work rate yes occupies defenders but then nothing! And cant blame watters for not being there as he's usually off pitch to benefit ... just feel morison has not got tactics right upfront and needs to make mind up so can make best use of watters or get in a player who can play lone role like Moore did.... until then we will struggle to score or make chances .

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:17 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:

I've said numerous times watters does not get the service he requires or any striker for that matter.... how many opportunities as the wide players or midfielders have created in 2 games for anyone nevermind watters? We want striker to be near goal but that is impossible when ball goes nowhere near goal from open play..... garauntee theres not one person who thinks watters can do lone striker role so why does morison insist on playing that way? You do not have to run around to be effective just be in right place unfortunately watters doesnt get any opportunity to do that.... people say about Harris and work rate yes occupies defenders but then nothing! And cant blame watters for not being there as he's usually off pitch to benefit ... just feel morison has not got tactics right upfront and needs to make mind up so can make best use of watters or get in a player who can play lone role like Moore did.... until then we will struggle to score or make chances .

There were opportunities on Saturday to put the ball in that weren’t taken as we didn’t have a forward that could challenge in the air. Hopefully that’ll change soon.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:04 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:

There were opportunities on Saturday to put the ball in that weren’t taken as we didn’t have a forward that could challenge in the air. Hopefully that’ll change soon.

That's the point isnt it? Put the ball in the air for a smallish striker good tactics like last Saturday balls were constantly hit 30ft in air from out wide.... how can it be called an opportunity when he gets a totally unsuitable ball? I get the not good enough argument but let's be honest only Moore was used in correct way to suit his style and it worked? All previous strikers ken ect never had same consideration when playing for us the result was failure after failure now watters same scenario? If he goes will next striker suffer same fate that is the question.. :old: